C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real World Expereince RF vs NRF

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Real World Expereince RF vs NRF

Just a question from those that have actually experienced a flat on a trip.

Run Flat - When you had a flat while traveling, how difficult was it to find a tire dealer that could remove, repair, and balance your tire?

Non Run Flat
- When you had a flat while traveling, how difficult was it to find a tire dealer that could remove, repair, and balance your tire?

Not interested in speculation or other non- actually experienced member answers, just actual experiences please.

George
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Never have had a flat in any car on a trip.

What is the worry about?

The non RF are so much better riding.

Ya I know the post does not meet your requirements but I am at a lost over this choice.

Enjoy the ride all the time without the RF harshness.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Two repairs in RFT one a nail with slow leak and got to dealer 20 plus miles got inside patch. Second was a 1/4 inch by 4 inch bolt with no air loss last week and stopped at tire dealer and got inside patch.

2013 GS approaching 13,000 and the OEM Goodyears are wearing way to fast in my opinion but RFT's wear a lot faster according to the on line research I have done.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Had a flat while driving with run flats at 75 MPH on the interstate. Drove about 30 miles to a Discount Tire store that my sister told me over my OnStar phone how to find.

By that time, they had to replace the tire. Don't know how far and for how long it would have been before I found the right tire store if she hadn't helped me.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
deadsexyii
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is easy. If you buy RF you'll never need them, if you don't, you will. I bought RF.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:57 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I must say that I MUCH prefer the non-RF PilotSS on my BMW M5, which like a vette doesn't come with a spare btw, to the garbage RF tires that came on the Z51 I recently picked up. My previous Z51 car which was identical to this one had non-RF tires and it was so much better in terms of both grip and ride quality.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

A lot of smaller towns out west won't even attempt to work on a RF tire and most Corvette owners probably don't want them to experiment with their wheel/tire.

The next city is most likely over 50 miles away. Speed limits are 80mph here so good luck trying to drive 55mph or less limping home. The 18 wheelers drive just as fast.

Non RF is not an issue although replacing it might be an issue.

RF or non RF make sure you carry a good air compressor, a can of slime and even a tire repair kit wouldn't hurt.

Most non slow leakers I have seen on this site have been either "driver error" or something jumping out of the road and hitting the car.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone tried one of the pre puncture chemicals? The hucksters on Velocity channel's Motorhead Garage showed one this week. Supposedly a measured amount of the product goes in the tire, is distributed around the tire in a 1-2 mile drive, and will patch any puncture. Won't affect tire pressure sensors, company spokesman insisted (naturally).
The product looked interesting but for the life of me I can't remember the name! Maybe someone with better Google search skills can turn some info up.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadReady
Anyone tried one of the pre puncture chemicals? The hucksters on Velocity channel's Motorhead Garage showed one this week. Supposedly a measured amount of the product goes in the tire, is distributed around the tire in a 1-2 mile drive, and will patch any puncture. Won't affect tire pressure sensors, company spokesman insisted (naturally).
The product looked interesting but for the life of me I can't remember the name! Maybe someone with better Google search skills can turn some info up.

I've used the stuff in my bike tires...tube and tubeless tires and it's worked great...water soluble and doesn't make a mess...NAPA sells it under AmeriSeal I believe...I also have used another brand that has the same look and feel...
Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Pre puncture? So you put it in before you get a flat?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:35 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Local Michelin Dealer who is also the Ford and Chrysler Dealer told me today that the new Mustangs comes with a slime type tire product and Non Run Flats with no spare. They use a water soluble product and easy to clean out. Just designed to get you to a safe place.

Just ordered Michelin Pilot Super Sports after researching on this forum and talking to several tire dealers about their experience. The NRF tires have better traction, ride and tread wear is about 200% more than RF and they are easier to mount.

I was also told the Pilot Super Sport is not currently in production by Michelin and soon will be in short supply.

Last edited by Richard Ames; 08-07-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Nate@VanBortelChevy
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 336 Likes on 126 Posts

No difference in tire plug repair between a RF and Non-RF when there is a nail in the tread of the tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Real World Expereince RF vs NRF

Quick Reply: Real World Expereince RF vs NRF