C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 AM
sellshort
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New Battery?

Should I demand a new battery? Triple A had to Jump my car yesterday morning. It has been fine ever since. The car is still under warranty. 2012 TR GS 3lt. Thanks for advise. Bill in San Diego.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:01 AM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Depends on the circumstances. Had it been sitting for a long time without being driven? Had you left something on that would drain the battery (hard to do since it shuts off things about 15 minutes, but the cigarette lighter is "live" when the ignition is not on.)?

If you've been driving it regularly, then it sounds like a warranty replacement to me. I'm sure the dealer would load test the battery first before giving you a new one though.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I would have the battery looked at as well as the electrical system. Something caused the battery to discharge.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM
sellshort
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Depends on the circumstances. Had it been sitting for a long time without being driven? Had you left something on that would drain the battery (hard to do since it shuts off things about 15 minutes, but the cigarette lighter is "live" when the ignition is not on.)?

If you've been driving it regularly, then it sounds like a warranty replacement to me. I'm sure the dealer would load test the battery first before giving you a new one though.
It only sat for one day. It is a daily driver. The only thing I did was plug my iPhone in before I tried to start it.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm not sure I would demand anything - dealers often want to work with you not against you.
If you help them help you often you get what you want.
I would take it in and get the battery and cables checked - a loose cable on either end +or - will do exactly what happened to you. A faulty plate in the battery will also act intermittently.
Let them pull for any codes and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
sellshort
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
I'm not sure I would demand anything - dealers often want to work with you not against you.
If you help them help you often you get what you want.
I would take it in and get the battery and cables checked - a loose cable on either end +or - will do exactly what happened to you. A faulty plate in the battery will also act intermittently.
Let them pull for any codes and see what happens.
I like that approach. Thank you. Demanding puts everyone on the defensive. I have a good relationship with this dealer and would like to maintain it.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

At 23 months I replaced the Delco under warranty and then 23 months later with an Optima yellow top. Both the Delcos leaked acid into the engine compartment.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:11 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My factory Delco died at 21 months. I replaced it with an Optima RED top and never looked back.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by sellshort
I like that approach. Thank you. Demanding puts everyone on the defensive. I have a good relationship with this dealer and would like to maintain it.
Yeah, it is a better approach. BTW, do you have any permanent electronics attached to the car that are non-stock? Subwoofer, mirror mount for radar detector, charger for phone, etc.? Is it Jimmie or Bob's dealership?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
At 23 months I replaced the Delco under warranty and then 23 months later with an Optima yellow top. Both the Delcos leaked acid into the engine compartment.
Sounds like either the alternator or a battery maintainer or a trickle charger are defective and overcharging your batteries to cause them both to crack and leak acid.

I have been using Delco batteries in all of my vettes for decades and never ever have had even one crack or leak acid.

I replaced the original delco in my 2007 at nearly 5 years just because I thought it was about time and not because it had failed with a Delco Professional from my Chevy dealer with a 6 year warranty for less than $85.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 PM
hydrasport
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I would say the most important thing right now is to try to determine what happened with the no start. If the battery went down in one day enough to cause a no start issue, you may have a defective battery or another problem. A good electrical system tester will test the battery, starter and alternator. I would start with that. Either your dealer or local parts store might do that for free. The best way to recharge a discharged battery is a good battery charger. Many people just let the alternator try to recharge the battery because it is the most convenient, a little while on an automatic charger is best for the battery and alternator.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by sellshort
It only sat for one day. It is a daily driver. The only thing I did was plug my iPhone in before I tried to start it.
That sounds like a bad battery, or even a bad alternator. My car is a 2009 and still has the original battery in it. It's no longer a daily driver, but I drive it at least once or twice a week.

I had a C5 that was only a couple of years old that was showing some odd behavior (stop the car, and it wouldn't start, crank, or anything just a few minutes later). One morning I went out and it was totally dead, when it was fine the day before. I got a new battery and it cured all sorts of ills, and never had the "won't start" problem again.

You should get a new battery, installed, totally free of charge when you take it in to the dealer. They can check the charging system for you too. You should be totally under warranty.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I recently had a battery with a dead cell in one of my new trucks. One year old, never had any issue, just got in one day and dead as a hammer. Needless to say replaced under warranty.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 AM
sellshort
Instructor

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yeah, it is a better approach. BTW, do you have any permanent electronics attached to the car that are non-stock? Subwoofer, mirror mount for radar detector, charger for phone, etc.? Is it Jimmie or Bob's dealership?
Bob...and they said they needed my car for more then 3 hours to find what may have gone wrong. The tech checked the battery with an old school devise and it said it was fine. If it happens again I will demand a new battery. I have 27,000 miles on it now so I kind of hope it happens before the warranty runs out.

Get notified of new replies

To New Battery?

Quick Reply: New Battery?