C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Cold Air Intake change Exhaust sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Does Cold Air Intake change Exhaust sound?

I am thinking of getting K&N CAI or some other one after more research. Does Cold Air Intake change Exhaust sound?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never really noticed a change in exhaust sound on the vette but, on my silverado it made a BIG difference. Sorry, I know that isn't much help. I would have to say yes though, more air in = more exhaust out = more sound.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Not the exhaust side, but since most of the CAI do not run any sound type baffles, you will hear more air sucking noise instead from the intake side.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Dano523
Not the exhaust side, but since most of the CAI do not run any sound type baffles, you will hear more air sucking noise instead from the intake side.
I agree, but a K&N is not a true cold air intake. It draws air from the engine bay as well as from the outside. A true CAI draws all the air from outside the vehicle.
I have a K&N and as stated when I get on it you can hear the air being sucked in. Not knowing your age, if you live back when we had carbs on the car I would say it sounds like the 4-barrel opened up without an air cleaner on it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BWF07
I agree, but a K&N is not a true cold air intake. It draws air from the engine bay as well as from the outside. A true CAI draws all the air from outside the vehicle.
I have a K&N and as stated when I get on it you can hear the air being sucked in. Not knowing your age, if you live back when we had carbs on the car I would say it sounds like the 4-barrel opened up without an air cleaner on it.
HAHA, I remember the 4 barrell days, even six packs! I am not set on K&N. What would be a good true CAI?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:25 AM
stp357
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It did for my 10 GS. The popping and gurgling sound that I was used to hearing disappeared. But it came back after a couple of weeks. I can't explain how or why, and nobody on here could really figure it out either. Best we could come up with is, the MAF had to adjust to the increased air volume.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really. I have run Vararam's on a c5 and c6. The c5 whistled a bit, but you can barely notice.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I did my intake and rxhaust at the same time, so I'm not sure if an intake alone would make it louder. I did notice a slight whistle at certain throttle positions (about 25%). I have an Airaid intake.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 PM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I have a KillerB and never noticed any sound difference.
Like someone mentioned, K&N is not a CAI, it's just a different filter.
I have a KillerB with the Beehive and a VetteAir for a true CAI. Some open up their shroud's to get cool air to the filter, which is fine and cheap, but any extra moving air can cause turbulence problems. Each car is a different monster on this problem, and you may not have any problems. A tune will take care of any problems, and I do recommend a tune.
The Vararam is a true CAI, but can be a bitzz to install and have had some quality issues with some forum members. There's a few more true CAI's. You can do a 'search' on CAI's and read all day about them.
Some swear by them, some noticed nothing. You have a LS2, which probably can benefit from a better intake system. If you had a LS3 or latter I would say, leave it alone.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:32 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lebvette
I have a KillerB with the Beehive and a VetteAir for a true CAI. Some open up their shroud's to get cool air to the filter, which is fine and cheap, but any extra moving air can cause turbulence problems. Each car is a different monster on this problem, and you may not have any problems. A tune will take care of any problems, and I do recommend a tune.
The Vararam is a true CAI, but can be a bitzz to install and have had some quality issues with some forum members. There's a few more true CAI's. You can do a 'search' on CAI's and read all day about them.
Some swear by them, some noticed nothing. You have a LS2, which probably can benefit from a better intake system. If you had a LS3 or latter I would say, leave it alone.
Good advice IMO. The air intake on the LS3 is leaps and bounds ahead of the one on the LS2

Originally Posted by rckt
HAHA, I remember the 4 barrell days, even six packs! I am not set on K&N. What would be a good true CAI?
Halltech Venom 2, Volant (I think), Callaway and Lingenfelter, Ram Air SS and Vararam all fit the description of CAI. I think they all require cutting the radiator shroud except the Halltech .
Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BWF07
OH how I loved that sound !!! thanks you just took me back to high school !!!! thats awsome
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I have the Z air bridge with a ZR1 filter and I do notice an increase in the popping/gurgling on my NPP when I decelerate..
The following users liked this post:
808 MAOLI (04-22-2024)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:38 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lebvette
I have a LS3, guess it's better to spend the $$$ elsewhere

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:29 PM
duanepillar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is what I have and you can hear the air sucking in. Sounds cool.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rckt
I am thinking of getting K&N CAI or some other one after more research. Does Cold Air Intake change Exhaust sound?
I have the Vararam intake and like it alot. except for the install, the shroud was a B! It changed the sound alot but mainly at WOT, like someone said before, it reminded me of the old four barrel days. It might be just me but the exhaust sounds a little deeper as well when the NPP is open.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 PM
beach_bumz51
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it will change the sound of the exhaust, usually the intake makes the intake sound more "throaty," I guess if that is an actual term. Hopefully your exhaust is loud enough that you don't even notice
Old 07-30-2014, 10:26 AM
sgt.acec6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duanepillar
This is what I have and you can hear the air sucking in. Sounds cool.
hey Which intake is this on your car? looks very nice btw!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sgt.acec6
hey Which intake is this on your car? looks very nice btw!
I agree. Is that a CAI? Are those filters washable like the K&N?

Get notified of new replies

To Does Cold Air Intake change Exhaust sound?

Quick Reply: Does Cold Air Intake change Exhaust sound?