C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 oil pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM
bojangles
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 427 oil pressure problems

I have read the other threads but I don't get a good sense of what oil pressure a 427 should be normal. '13 Anniversary with 3500 miles. Once the oil is heated the oil pressure never gets above 40 lbs and usually runs at 25-30 in any gear. When it is idling at a stop sign it drops below 10 libs.
The low oil pressure light does not come on.
Also it is very hard starting and the battery barely turns the Vette over. This afternoon I had to jump it to get it started. The check engine light is on.
Going to the dealer tomorrow. Any insight would help talking to the mechanics.
Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you have two separate problems here, neither of which has anything to do with the other. As for your oil pressure, not sure what would cause a low oil pressure like that at such low mileage. 25-30 psi isn't a death knell, but it sounds uncharacteristically low for an LS7 with only 3500 miles. 10 psi at an idle seems very low as well. I seem to recall from reading several threads on this forum that there were a few oil pump failures with late model LS7s, so your trip to the dealer should help diagnose that. When you take it in, have them assess whether any damage may have been done by the low oil pressure during driving.

The other issue is likely a weak/bad battery. Not typical for a car that is only a year or so old, but not out of the question. Again, your dealer--or any auto parts store--should be able to load test your battery and tell you if it needs replacing. Since your car only has been driven less than 300 miles per month since new, you might need to consider getting a float charger for when your car isn't being driven on a regular basis.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

It's all under warranty so don't mess with anything.Go directly to dealer.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Go to the dealer. Sounds like it is about to go out.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
It's all under warranty so don't mess with anything.Go directly to dealer.
Man, I love my 427, but they really can be a handful. Kinda like an entitled, North American woman
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

lowest ive seen mine is 18 at hot n it has 30k miles. i would do my head in driving it with no oil pressure
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM
NotVincent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are the same readings I had on my 427 with about 5000 miles on it. I took it to my local dealer and they discovered an issue with the connecting rod ends. They were grinding against each other and they found titanium shavings in the oil. They replaced the engine under warranty and so far after 5000 miles on the replacement engine, all is well.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM
bojangles
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 427 oil pressure problems

Interesting..... I took the '13 into the dealership this morning and they called and said the oil filter had been collapsing and oil wasn't getting into the engine. they replaced the oil filter. I have never heard of that....... Now the oil pressure runs around 20 psi at idle... What could cause this??????
They are also replacing the starter.
More reports will follow...
Old 07-29-2014, 07:52 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I like "icntdrv55" post. Wait! Oil wasn't getting into the engine? Did you have them drain, and have the oil tested? That would be critical if you ask me, esp. per some of the posts above about metal in the oil. What they are saying is, partially or completely at some point the engine was oil-starved. How long and the severity as well as the potential damage is yet to be determined. Hopefully, it won't be 1 day after the 5 year powertrain warranty, or 1 mile after 100K miles, whichever comes first.

I'm glad the issue(s) are partially corrected but it seems there's still work to be done, or info to get to be more assured about the car's condition, imo.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bojangles
Interesting..... they called and said the oil filter had been collapsing and oil wasn't getting into the engine. they replaced the oil filter.
The oil filter is pressurized with oil when the engine is running, so it certainly isn't collapsing….rupturing would be more likely. From your description, it sounds like the filter medium inside the filter failed and was somehow blocking the flow of oil to the engine. Not a very good scenario. I would definitely have the engine assessed by an extremely competent dealer and by all means, start a GM warranty file with your dealer as well as the GM central office to document what happened in case you have catastrophic engine failure in the future. If the dealer didn't change the oil when they changed out the defective filter, have a sample of the oil sent to a lab for full analysis. If the oil is fresh, have the oil from your next change sent to a lab. Good luck!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ ...or the oil pump's pressure relief valve failed (stuck open).

I agree with the above two posts...oil starvation inside a running engine is NOT a good thing.

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 07-29-2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Default steering gear

Originally Posted by NotVincent
Those are the same readings I had on my 427 with about 5000 miles on it. I took it to my local dealer and they discovered an issue with the connecting rod ends. They were grinding against each other and they found titanium shavings in the oil. They replaced the engine under warranty and so far after 5000 miles on the replacement engine, all is well.
you mentioned a steering gear replacement. why, because you had clicking when turning wheel side to side? I have that and they said steering gear needs replace but its feels and sounds like its at the steering wheel hub not in gear
Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Kurt D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the 427's LS7 have the dry sump system? My GS with dry sump runs between 30-40 psi at idle when fully warmed (>170 degrees) and hovers a little above 60 psi on the highway (~70 mph). 20ish at idle and high 30-40ish at highway speed sounds like the standard 5.3 in my Z71 and Yukon. That's why I'm curious.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 AM
NotVincent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jversluis
you mentioned a steering gear replacement. why, because you had clicking when turning wheel side to side? I have that and they said steering gear needs replace but its feels and sounds like its at the steering wheel hub not in gear
When my steering gear was replaced, the problem was solved. Here is a thread regarding the issue http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-clicking.html
Old 07-30-2014, 05:13 PM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

There is a later post today from REAL427 who was having a similar problem and it turns out he is getting a new engine under warranty. Seems there was an issue with a coating on the titanium rods failing in some 2013 427 engines. It was corrected but the problems show up between 3-5k miles if you have one that got through. I would look into this if I were you.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Does the 427's LS7 have the dry sump system? My GS with dry sump runs between 30-40 psi at idle when fully warmed (>170 degrees) and hovers a little above 60 psi on the highway (~70 mph). 20ish at idle and high 30-40ish at highway speed sounds like the standard 5.3 in my Z71 and Yukon. That's why I'm curious.

yes
Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 PM
thunderglide
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I just experienced the Low Oil Pressure warning light at idle last month. My 427 has been sitting at the dealership for over a month. They replaced the oil pump and still does the same thing. I have 5,100 miles on mine. They are discussing what to do. Chevrolet management told them to tear down my engine to determine the failure. When oil was pulled out there was metal shinings in the oil. They are telling me it will probably require a new engine. My dealership doesn't seem to know about all the others that have had the same problem. I wonder if the new engine will be the same kind with the same potential problem. And whether it will be a hand built motor or are they now crate motors. I am going to talk one on one with the manager on March 7th to determine my options. He thinks I will be getting an expedited motor. Arggh. Doesn't seem like the engineers knew what they were doing. Are older C6 Z06 motors having the same failures?

Get notified of new replies

To 427 oil pressure problems

Quick Reply: 427 oil pressure problems