C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC hose removal and install

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 AM
djdinoe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC hose removal and install

Hello all,

Has anyone removed the ac hose that goes from the service port to the compressor and installed a replacement? I know an ac hose crimpler is needed. Any hints or instructions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dino
Old 07-28-2014, 10:27 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

You will need to evacuate the system first (if it hasn't leaked down) and that may require recycling of the freon. You need to replace the hose as quickly as possible and be prepared to pull a vacuum on the system right away. Air and the moisture it holds will attack the inside of the metal lines. Once the new line is on, pull a vacuum on the system to make sure there are no leaks and then recharge and re-oil. I would also replace the receiver-dryer if the system is open but have no idea where that is on my C6. If it were me, I would have this done professionally. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 AM
djdinoe
Pro

Originally Posted by unixcorn
You will need to evacuate the system first (if it hasn't leaked down) and that may require recycling of the freon. You need to replace the hose as quickly as possible and be prepared to pull a vacuum on the system right away. Air and the moisture it holds will attack the inside of the metal lines. Once the new line is on, pull a vacuum on the system to make sure there are no leaks and then recharge and re-oil. I would also replace the receiver-dryer if the system is open but have no idea where that is on my C6. If it were me, I would have this done professionally. Good luck!
Thanks Unixcorn!!! Ah man..I thought it was a quick unscrew and screw back on. I have a leak in my system and used a UV light to detect it and saw freon residue from the compressor's end. I hate taking to 'the man' but looks like I'm going have to do. Crap.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 PM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

JUST had our A/C compressor replaced ( not by " the man" ) its really compact = PITA to even get to, they took the water pump off to be able to get to it . didnt have any leaks on ours the ac clutch was about take off and go for a flight inside the engine compartment. good luck .
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Yeah, from looking at it..the bolt that holds the two lines is way low down hear the passenger side wheel wall. Even then, it's hard to get too :/

Are the C6 AC system so problematic? I replaced the compressor about 3 years ago and now I have a darn leak. My old 92 Honda accord has never had any problems like this. (sigh)

Get notified of new replies

To AC hose removal and install

Quick Reply: AC hose removal and install