C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Rays 05 C6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light problem

I just noticed only 3 of my 4 brake lights are working. I replaced the inside passenger side bulb, but when i tested it, the light still didn't , but all 4 are lit when my headlights are on. Has anyone had this problem and what was the cure. 05 C6 coupe
Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

So the brake light part of the circuit is compromised.

First thing I'd suspect is the main connector, accessible through the passenger side tail light openings. Especially in areas that see a lot of humidity, the pins inside that connector corrode and cause all kinds of problems.

Here are some references to look at:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-staying.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586245568-post10.html
Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Rays 05 C6
Heel & Toe

Thank you Rick T, i will deffinately open that light up and check the connector to see if there is any corrosion and clean all lamp holders. Being in the northeast, we do see our fair share of humidity. Hell i will even hit auto zone and get some lamp grease to keep moisture out,,thanks again.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Rays 05 C6
Heel & Toe

I opened up the tail light and removed the new lamp and used some baking soda and water and also used an alcohol swab to clean out the socket then put a light coat of vasalins on the base of the lamp and put everything back together, and still only 3 brake lights work. Any other ideas Rick ? This year doesn't use the old 1157 bulbs, It calls for a 3057 which i purchased.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rays 05 C6
I opened up the tail light and removed the new lamp and used some baking soda and water and also used an alcohol swab to clean out the socket then put a light coat of vasalins on the base of the lamp and put everything back together, and still only 3 brake lights work. Any other ideas Rick ? This year doesn't use the old 1157 bulbs, It calls for a 3057 which i purchased.
We aren't talking about the "bulb socket" here.

We are talking about the big wiring harness "connector" inside the rear bumper/fascia accessible through the tail light openings.

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
Just fixed mine - remove either one of the passenger side tail lights and find the large connector that goes to the tail lights, unplug it, clean the corrosion inside the connector, plug it back together, and it's fixed.

Many Thanks to all who posted on how to do it!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Remove the outer tail light on the passenger side and look straight down.

This is the connector sitting on the post of the rear grounding point. Not sure why the pic is rotated counter-clock-wise.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Rays 05 C6
Heel & Toe

Please forgive me Rick, but i thought you were talking about cleaning the lamp socket. But now i understand much better about the connector. **** Jockey was nice enough to provide a photo of the connector and now i know what to look for here, and i guess if a camera could fit to take the shot, i should be able to get my hand in there,,,lol
Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I know it's unlikely, but maybe you got a replacement bulb with one bad filament...try switching the bulb with one of the taillights that you have seen working.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
I know it's unlikely, but maybe you got a replacement bulb with one bad filament...try switching the bulb with one of the taillights that you have seen working.
I was thinking this as I read the post.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Zishan
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, was wondering if there was a resolution to this? I'm having the same problem. One brake light is not working, but they all light up when I turn the lights on, just no brake lighting on one of them. Was going to replace the bulb tonight, but curious if there is a more serious problem.

Btw, I recently changed my tail lights from the LED ones back to stock. The LED one's worked perfectly. I know beause I took pictures before removing them to place them for sale.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zishan
So, was wondering if there was a resolution to this? I'm having the same problem. One brake light is not working, but they all light up when I turn the lights on, just no brake lighting on one of them. Was going to replace the bulb tonight, but curious if there is a more serious problem.

Btw, I recently changed my tail lights from the LED ones back to stock. The LED one's worked perfectly. I know beause I took pictures before removing them to place them for sale.
Yes.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-problem.html
Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Zishan
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brilliant! I'll check tonight to see if that's my problem and report back!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake light problem

Quick Reply: Brake light problem