C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lexan top cracked

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:56 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

if you can't get it replaced under warranty and you decide to go the cheap route, you can put in a strip of black gloss vinyl that matches the top perfectly... You might have to sand a little to make sure you don't have a lump in the finished product...just run it along the body line from the a pillar back along the ridge and you can't see it at all from inside...
Old 07-27-2014, 05:17 PM
logansrun73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

My crack does not look like yours my crack is in the lexan top and you cant feel it
Old 07-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett Loveday

Here is a close up picture I took today. The edges are offset from one other hard to see in the picture and by the eye. It can be felt rubbing over the crack from the front of the car to the back. I was trying to see if it was a rock (as suggested) that might have hit it. I would have thought it would have left an impact crater or some kind of indent but I don't see that.
Wow, that pic says it all and doesn't look like anything hit it
Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 PM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Rhett Loveday;1587450779]I have searched for other threads but can only find tops with spider webbing. The dealership has said not under warranty. The vette is going into the shop on Tuesday for another warranty item and will be talking to the manager about the top. 2013 GS 32,000 miles. I have a feeling it is going to be a long day of excuses and no's.
Updated info:

Almost 2 1/2 hours at the dealership nothing gets done.

The print out the first dealership gave me.

The Service Manager David said the crack was from an impact. You can tell by the one crack going north and another crack going south (his words not mine). I asked him if it was an impact from what ever object that hit it wouldn't it have left some kind of dent or mark? I even took a 5x7 photograph to show a close up. He will look up in the GM policies for coverage. A few hours later they give me the GM service policy print out. My response to the GM service policy and procedures...... I told the Assistant Manager Ashley in a very calm and very slow voice (after being at the dealership for 2 hours and not having the warranty part in stock, that I had scheduled last week for repairs): The top is not glass it is plastic, lexan, whatever you want to call it but it is not glass. I pointed to the glass on the car (front windshield and back hatch) that is glass. I left that dealership went back thru town stopped at another dealership as suggested in this thread (Thanks cuspid).

I go thru the whole spill at the second dealership about my top making noises and popping to the Assistant Manager B.J. she walks out looks at the crack in the top says let me get the Service Director to look at it. Randy comes out a few minutes later to look at it. I tell him there is a bulletin (Thanks Logansrun73) on 2012's. Mine is a 2013 but told him it was born on August 23, 2012 (Museum Delivery they tell you every thing about the cars process being built). Randy tells BJ to go pull the bulletins. She said there is no recall on the bulletin for the top but that don't mean it cant be replaced. She goes talks to Randy comes back and said. "we are ordering another top when it comes in you will need to bring us your top. We will take the hardware off your old top and put it on the new top." According to the bulletin...snap, pop, and creaking the fix is to put dielectric silicone grease on the rubber seals. I bought a tube at the dealership and will see if that helps out on the noise. I already tried the O-rings it worked for a little while.

Its amazing that one dealership wants to fight tooth and nail over everything and another dealership will go the extra mile to see what the bulletin (in this case) is all about.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 PM
logansrun73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

[QUOTE=Rhett Loveday;1587473866]
Originally Posted by Rhett Loveday
I have searched for other threads but can only find tops with spider webbing. The dealership has said not under warranty. The vette is going into the shop on Tuesday for another warranty item and will be talking to the manager about the top. 2013 GS 32,000 miles. I have a feeling it is going to be a long day of excuses and no's.
Updated info:

Almost 2 1/2 hours at the dealership nothing gets done.

The print out the first dealership gave me.

The Service Manager David said the crack was from an impact. You can tell by the one crack going north and another crack going south (his words not mine). I asked him if it was an impact from what ever object that hit it wouldn't it have left some kind of dent or mark? I even took a 5x7 photograph to show a close up. He will look up in the GM policies for coverage. A few hours later they give me the GM service policy print out. My response to the GM service policy and procedures...... I told the Assistant Manager Ashley in a very calm and very slow voice (after being at the dealership for 2 hours and not having the warranty part in stock, that I had scheduled last week for repairs): The top is not glass it is plastic, lexan, whatever you want to call it but it is not glass. I pointed to the glass on the car (front windshield and back hatch) that is glass. I left that dealership went back thru town stopped at another dealership as suggested in this thread (Thanks cuspid).

I go thru the whole spill at the second dealership about my top making noises and popping to the Assistant Manager B.J. she walks out looks at the crack in the top says let me get the Service Director to look at it. Randy comes out a few minutes later to look at it. I tell him there is a bulletin (Thanks Logansrun73) on 2012's. Mine is a 2013 but told him it was born on August 23, 2012 (Museum Delivery they tell you every thing about the cars process being built). Randy tells BJ to go pull the bulletins. She said there is no recall on the bulletin for the top but that don't mean it cant be replaced. She goes talks to Randy comes back and said. "we are ordering another top when it comes in you will need to bring us your top. We will take the hardware off your old top and put it on the new top." According to the bulletin...snap, pop, and creaking the fix is to put dielectric silicone grease on the rubber seals. I bought a tube at the dealership and will see if that helps out on the noise. I already tried the O-rings it worked for a little while.

Its amazing that one dealership wants to fight tooth and nail over everything and another dealership will go the extra mile to see what the bulletin (in this case) is all about.
Glad it worked out for you!!! I cant get my car out of the driveway yet to take it in, They are repaving my streets. My car is only under gmpp warranty so I will have to see what they say.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 AM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by logansrun73
Glad it worked out for you!!! I cant get my car out of the driveway yet to take it in, They are repaving my streets. My car is only under gmpp warranty so I will have to see what they say.
Have them document what they tell you if it gets denied. Try another dealership if they say the same thing ...then that sucks. There are Chevy Service Reps in the forum that can help. I was talking to William in PM to keep him informed of my issue. Luckly he did not have to call the dealership for me to solve the problem.

Take some pictures and post. I got a lot of help in this thread alone on this issue.

Quick Reply: Lexan top cracked