C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

repair on convert top

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default repair on convert top

my 2012 GS Conv top acts a bit strangely when I close it; when the clamshell is open and the top is coming up they thump or bang into each other...this started about a month ago. At first I thought it was alittle simple expansion due to hot days here but it is persisting since it has cooled. I have an appt to have it looked at but (my question is) what can/will they do? Physically bend/manipulate the framing?

Thanks ahead of time....
Old 07-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Blindfingers
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe there are adjustments in the frame assembly.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:45 PM
lonnyh
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blind is correct, there are two adjustment bolts in the sides of the car where the little door opens to allow the frame to operate. While the top is operating you can stop it and look down into this area and see the bolts, they will adjust these so the top clears the cover when it is closing. However, you may want to check your seat positions, if they are all the way back they might be keeping the top from coming forward enough. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:46 PM
David A.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try moving the passenger seat forward. Mine was all the way back and up slightly so one part of the top wasn't going forward enough because the head rest was in the way.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:52 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Welcome to the world of corvette power tops. But I'm not sure how the seats got involved in some post. Is the clam hitting the top or the seats. My clam will just nick the back of the top when going down to the closed position. I just do the "Corvette two finger" trick and slightly hold the top forward enough to keep them from hitting. Not a big problem yet. Ain't taking it in until it gets to be a real issue. The power tops have to be almost perfectly syncroed to operate correctly and they might muck it up more than they help it....esp. for what they get in labor. I didn't want the darn power top cause its just one more C-6 problem....but it came with the car.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

^^^That's what I was going to suggest windy. Sounds like the straps (hidden) have stretched a bit which seems to be a common issue. Just reach back over your shoulder, and pull/push the bottom of the top (below the rear window) up away from the hatch a bit. It's a lot cheaper, and as stated you don't risk somebody messing it up even worse. I had a manual top on my '06, and liked it a lot better. My '07 came with the power top, but it has good so far.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+3 on the seats. If the seats are all the way back, and raised at all it will cause the tonneau cover to just clip the back window.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
^^^That's what I was going to suggest windy. Sounds like the straps (hidden) have stretched a bit which seems to be a common issue. Just reach back over your shoulder, and pull/push the bottom of the top (below the rear window) up away from the hatch a bit. It's a lot cheaper, and as stated you don't risk somebody messing it up even worse. I had a manual top on my '06, and liked it a lot better. My '07 came with the power top, but it has good so far.
This is a common theme... I do the same thing Rebel does.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
my 2012 GS Conv top acts a bit strangely when I close it; when the clamshell is open and the top is coming up they thump or bang into each other...this started about a month ago. At first I thought it was alittle simple expansion due to hot days here but it is persisting since it has cooled. I have an appt to have it looked at but (my question is) what can/will they do? Physically bend/manipulate the framing?

Thanks ahead of time....
Sincere apologies to read of the concerns with your convertible top. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you've scheduled an official diagnosis. Is it at a GM dealer?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To repair on convert top

Quick Reply: repair on convert top