C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Corvette Value, is this a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2009 Corvette Value, is this a good buy?

Hi everyone-

I'm a sales manager at a dealer that doesn't sell corvettes (doesn't matter where, this isn't an ad..) and one of our other stores took in a super clean 2009 Vette, Z51, Lt2, stick. It is super clean only 13,500 miles. It also has the factory polished wheels, dual mode mufflers and is Crystal Red with tan leather. Also has the painted roof and a clear roof.

Shifts perfect, goes straight, VERY strong stock motor (man these things rip!).

The car would be for my dad, but we can get the car for 32,000. Again, it's spotless. I picked it up today to show my father tomorrow when we have breakfast.

The only issue I have with the car is that it has mismatched tires (the rears are the original goodyears, the fronts are firestone runflats. we would ditch the runflats for something like PSS or similar).

Based on what I am seeing on autotrader, 32000 seems like a very fair deal, but I would like some input from the forum.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by t.renz791; 07-23-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Tbong
Racer

I think a national search on AutoTrader's asking prices with a local focus are a great indication of what you should pay. I did the same offered paid about $2500 less than avg asking price of all the cars I matched up in May.

I think your deal is a great slam dunk deal I see 09s near $40K and over around here. and on AT not many nationally.

Many here will say it's far too high and but their cars are worth far more. Best thing is to research actual cars for sale. You know what dealer mark up is as well.

My national Auto Trader results today on my 05. Mostly over $30K Surely your choice is worth $32K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...=CONVERT&Log=0

Last edited by Tbong; 07-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Originally Posted by Tbong
I think a national search on AutoTrader's asking prices with a local focus are a great indication of what you should pay. I did the same offered paid about $2500 less than avg asking price of all the cars I matched up in May.

I think your deal is a great slam dunk deal I see 09s near $40K and over around here. and on AT not many nationally.

Many here will say it's far too high and but their cars are worth far more. Best thing is to research actual cars for sale. You know what dealer mark up is as well.

My national Auto Trader results today on my 05. Mostly over $30K Surely your choice is worth $32K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...=CONVERT&Log=0
I think you are right. I called person that traded it in, sounds like a real meticulous owner, kept a spreadsheet with his maintenance ect. I know the term "like new" is very abused, but this car really is in like new condition. I pulled the car inside, the rubber on the exterior of the car shows no wear, the driver seat is in great shape ect. I will probably put it on the lift to check for leaks ect.

It could use an alignment, from an eyeball, it looks like the front has no neg camber at all, but I would do that and tires regardless because it will see 2-3 hpde/year.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Tbong
Racer

Originally Posted by t.renz791
I think you are right. I called person that traded it in, sounds like a real meticulous owner, kept a spreadsheet with his maintenance ect. I know the term "like new" is very abused, but this car really is in like new condition. I pulled the car inside, the rubber on the exterior of the car shows no wear, the driver seat is in great shape ect. I will probably put it on the lift to check for leaks ect.

It could use an alignment, from an eyeball, it looks like the front has no neg camber at all, but I would do that and tires regardless because it will see 2-3 hpde/year.
I have found asking the forum for pricing would have left me without mine. Even though a search showed asking prices avged $32K I don't think I would have been able to buy my Vette for $25K like many said they would pay. I would sell my car in a day for that amount though.

Yours is a great deal. If you like it jump on it. I liked mine and could only find Coupes at what I paid. So when I saw a loaded Vert under $30K with <25K I jumped on it.

I did not have it checked out until after I bought it and had all the fluids. belts and hoses changed, brakes bled, hydraulic fluids changed. It checked out except for a weeping oil pan gasket (Tech said most older low mile Vettes suffer from this shrinking gasket issue) It was not dripping but I had them replace it anyway. I too am meticulous about maintenance and wanting everything to work on the Vette. and my Bike

When I go to sell it the next owner won't have to do anything but drive it

Last edited by Tbong; 07-23-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I think that $32K for that 2LT coupe is a bit high.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO the keys here are the low mileage, Z51, and M6 - that makes it a very nice buy and I would jump on it.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:27 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Good deal in my eyes.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:38 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by t.renz791
Hi everyone-

I'm a sales manager at a dealer that doesn't sell corvettes (doesn't matter where, this isn't an ad..) and one of our other stores took in a super clean 2009 Vette, Z51, Lt2, stick. It is super clean only 13,500 miles. It also has the factory polished wheels, dual mode mufflers and is Crystal Red with tan leather. Also has the painted roof and a clear roof.

Shifts perfect, goes straight, VERY strong stock motor (man these things rip!).

The car would be for my dad, but we can get the car for 32,000. Again, it's spotless. I picked it up today to show my father tomorrow when we have breakfast.

The only issue I have with the car is that it has mismatched tires (the rears are the original goodyears, the fronts are firestone runflats. we would ditch the runflats for something like PSS or similar).

Based on what I am seeing on autotrader, 32000 seems like a very fair deal, but I would like some input from the forum.

Thanks everyone.
I would stick with the Firestone run flats. I had them on my '09 and they were great. I recently had a flat on my 2013 while I was traveling. Put 225 miles on it at highway speeds without an issue. It got me home. I could not have done that on a non-run flat. If you are wondering why I drove it so far the TPMS told me that the flat was on the front. I checked the tire and it had 32 psi. So I figured I had a bad sensor. When I got home and checked all of my tires I realized that the TPM System had been set up incorrectly at the factory. The flat was on the rear.

BobD
Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Fair deal, crystal red is a beautiful color too. If the tires matched it would be a better deal. Tires are extremely important when buying a Vette. When I bought mine, it was one of the biggest reasons why I chose mine.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Sounds like a fair deal to me. It would be 1 - 2 thousand more in my neck of North Carolina.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

MY opinion is that's a good deal at $32K. It is a 2LT and most don't get excited unless it's a 3LT, but it's low miles, well cared for, and an '09. By comparison, there's another thread on here about an '06, no one knows what equipment, low miles and $27.5K asking. One's high, and one's very good and well-priced.

I would also recommend two more runflats of the same brand as on the front for the rear, getting a "street" alignment, and checking that periodically as an alignment can go out just about any time. I say, buy it, put in for two tires and an alignment and your father will be a happy man.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Nice car, good price. I say buy it.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Hey everyone, I drove the car home tonight. It really is a great car.

A couple observations:
It has the valved mufflers, they are set to be stuck open, it sounds like a damn stock car haha. It got old quick so I have to look up what is done to get them functioning again. I'm sure it's easy.

Second, yes, we all know the seats in these cars aren't the best. These have the adjustable bolsters (sort of, not nearly as good as the sport seats in my 9 year old 330i) and it feels like there is a loose bolt in the way it's anchored. Again, I'm sure it's an easy fix, but annoying.

Lastly, the steering is super light. It handles fantastic, I had to dive bomb a few on ramp apexes. I just wonder if there is anything that can be done to increase the effort.

Overall, I can't say enough about the car. My dad has a very clean 1991 6 speed/z07 that he's had for like 17 years or more. It's got 110,000 miles which obviously isn't many for a well sorted out car, but all the things that annoy me about driving that car are gone in the 2009. That car I drive like once a summer and that's enough, this one I would be happy to barrow quite often

Anyway, I'm going to have the service dept change the diff, tranny, brake and power steering fluids with whatever redline recommends, have it lined up to Vette Brakes street/hpde specs, and call it good.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Nice buy you got
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 PM
MikeMaj82
Racer

I'd take it. I bought my '05 non-Z51 automatic with 2,100 miles for $32,000 two years ago.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:17 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Price is fine, buy it.

edit: I see you bought it. Congrats! Dont forget to wave. As far as the exhaust valves, many just pull their fuse out. Put a fresh one in and good to go. That's where I'd start.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree with checking the fuse, it might be missing. It is in the fuse box behind the passenger's feet. Most hook up a Mild 2 Wild box or something similar so you can control it as desired. If you keep it as stock it will just open above 3500 rpm.

I noticed you said you like to go to the track. Just get Michelin Super Sports and you will be happy. They are available in Run Flat size for your car. That will help with your loose steering feel some as Firestones are not in the same grip category as Super Sports. Right now your car has a lot more traction in the rear unless the Goodyears are really worn.

Welcome to the club and enjoy the car. They are fantastic. I almost feel guilty having a car with this much performance but yet so efficient if you want it to be (I average about 25-27 mpg with my 13 GS at 80mph).

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Corvette Value, is this a good buy?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 PM
KnightmareCS
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
(I average about 25-27 mpg with my 13 GS at 80mph).
With cruise on and a tailwind maybe!
Or maybe I just can't keep my foot out of it.

Congrats on the purchase! Welcome!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightmareCS
With cruise on and a tailwind maybe!
Or maybe I just can't keep my foot out of it.

Congrats on the purchase! Welcome!
Get rid of heavy run flats for Super Sports. 12 lbs of unsprung weight is huge. I noticed a difference when I switched from Chevron also. Even on spirited drives with the local exotic club I average 20-22mpg. They'll need gas way before I will. Even the 4 banger Lotus' range drops to low 200 miles when pushed hard.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I WOULD think twice about ditching the run flats.If your father is out for a spin somewhere and gets a flat in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception,what are you gonna do? Run flats are a life saver,like it or not.It's not worth the risk to save a few pounds or soften the ride a little.BRIDGESTONE/FIRESTONE/MICHELLIN all make good run flats.I think 32 is a great price for that year/mile car.

Quick Reply: 2009 Corvette Value, is this a good buy?