C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Corvette Value, is this a good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 03:22 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
I WOULD think twice about ditching the run flats.If your father is out for a spin somewhere and gets a flat in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception,what are you gonna do? Run flats are a life saver,like it or not.It's not worth the risk to save a few pounds or soften the ride a little.BRIDGESTONE/FIRESTONE/MICHELLIN all make good run flats.I think 32 is a great price for that year/mile car.
But of course if you are in the middle of no where then you would have trouble getting a run flat fixed anyway. I cruise around the west often and there is either cell phone coverage or enough traffic to help out if needed. Besides how many good non run flat tires actually blow out. If you have a 427 you have a better chance of shredding an engine than having a flat tire.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:28 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sounds good to me. As to being superlight steering effort, I'd check the air pressure in the tires and adjust them to 30 cold (in the morning before being driven) to start with.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 AM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I agree with checking the fuse, it might be missing. It is in the fuse box behind the passenger's feet. Most hook up a Mild 2 Wild box or something similar so you can control it as desired. If you keep it as stock it will just open above 3500 rpm.

I noticed you said you like to go to the track. Just get Michelin Super Sports and you will be happy. They are available in Run Flat size for your car. That will help with your loose steering feel some as Firestones are not in the same grip category as Super Sports. Right now your car has a lot more traction in the rear unless the Goodyears are really worn.

Welcome to the club and enjoy the car. They are fantastic. I almost feel guilty having a car with this much performance but yet so efficient if you want it to be (I average about 25-27 mpg with my 13 GS at 80mph).
Thanks- I'm on my second set of PSS in my 330i, great tires. When it's hot at the track, they get a little greasy, but it's a 3400lb sedan. Eventually I will do R comps for the track. I keep an air pump and bottle of fix a flat just in case.

As far as the Vette goes, the GYs in the back are the originals, looking at the date on them.... I put it in "competition" and spent half the day finishing off those tires, too hard to resist- it just lives to go sideways it seems....... my dad was driving it back from breakfast and he made the mistake of hitting it exiting a bend in second gear...fortunately all nannies where on... "Dad, do NOT floor it unless the steering wheel is straight!!" hahah... he needs to start doing HPDE with me and pick up some new skill... it's waaaayyy more motor than his warmed over 91. I'm pretty sure it's the fastest street car I've driven.

Last edited by t.renz791; 07-25-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Congrats on the Vette my friend. Enjoy.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:18 PM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the demand for my car is any indication it wouldn't be a good deal. I've had my 2008 Z51, 2LT, NPP, 15,000 mile, crystal red, nearly perfect condition Corvette with GMPP until summer of 2015 sit at $30,000 for some time here on the forum. Not one person has come to see it. I'll probably drive it through this driving season and sell it next spring when I have a C7 in my garage.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by t.renz791
Thanks- I'm on my second set of PSS in my 330i, great tires. When it's hot at the track, they get a little greasy, but it's a 3400lb sedan. Eventually I will do R comps for the track. I keep an air pump and bottle of fix a flat just in case.
I recommend that even run flat owners carry around a good air compressor and can of slime. I helped one Corvette owner with run flats fill up his flat tire at a car show so he can make it home and another that had a blow out on the side of the road. That owner even had run flats (Goodyears that look like it ate thru the inner sidewall) so it proves that just because you have run flats you may not be going anywhere anyway.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:19 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I recommend that even run flat owners carry around a good air compressor and can of slime. I helped one Corvette owner with run flats fill up his flat tire at a car show so he can make it home and another that had a blow out on the side of the road. That owner even had run flats (Goodyears that look like it ate thru the inner sidewall) so it proves that just because you have run flats you may not be going anywhere anyway.
Indeed, it surprises me how many people, even car guys, travel without the basics, a pump, basic tools, serp belt, an ignition coil ect.

As far as tires go, I was on Tirerack earlier comparing weights of tires. Needless to say runflats are heavier, but I forgot how much heavier steel belted Max Summer perf tires can be. There is a Bridgestone that I know I have seen on cars at the track with like a 180 treadwear rating that people like quite a bit that is 6 pounds a tire heavier for the fronts in stock sizes than the PSS! 6 pounds in rotating mass makes a HUGE difference in steering feel, as well as acceleration at least in cars without the massive torque of the Corvette. Plus taking +/- 20 lbs out of a 3250 lb car is pretty significant for just a tire swap.

Once I learn the car on street tires at the track, I will eventually get square setup of 18" rubber with either an aggressive street tire like BFG Rival or Hankook RS3s.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:14 PM
t.renz791
Racer

BTW the car is great, delivered it to my dad last week. Here's a couple pics after a quick detail with my crappy phone. By the way, Griot's One Step Sealant is shockingly good. I never thought I would use a 'all in one' ... that's like an all season tire to me

He loves the car, needless to say.

Just need to remove that goofy z51 emblem.

Last edited by t.renz791; 08-06-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Tbong
Racer

Nice. Dump the store bought emblem. Z51 is really not all that. Just an option not a model.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:32 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The higher trim levels are nice, but historically don't seem to hold their value more than the performance options. 2LT, but, manual trans, Z51, dual tops, NPP mufflers. Pretty much the stuff you want and nothing else.

the NPP is probably a pulled fuse, but to answer the light steering observation...GM already improved the steering feel for the 2008 model year. I know what you are saying though...things happen awfully fast in this car, but if you ever get the chance to take it on a track and really heat up the tires, you will have good feedback and the car will feel predictable.

Also don't expect the rear tire grip to be very good past 50 percent worn down. Unless you get a grandsport with the Z06 tire sizes, 285 width tires just don't seem to be up to the task behind an LS3 engine.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:38 PM
t.renz791
Racer

^^^ Agreed on the z51 emblem, just one of the many tacky things that a lot of corvette owners seem to do.

The exhaust was fixed at the chevy store. It's a lot more drivable, plus I love the induction sound on this car. Will likely get Ls7 manifolds/cats/x pipe and a tune. Nothing more is really needed for power. They can be had for a song and deliver a nice gain.

Will possibly get silver z06 spider reps in stock sizing, with Michelin PSS. I love those tires on my 330i, they are nice on the road and hold up great after 25 min sessions on the track.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sorry, but you will not get the feel or heft in the steering that you are used to with that BMW! I've owned many BMW's and several Corvettes, and the C6 has the lightest steering of any vette I've owned. The '91 is actually a lot better! I've owned one of those too, and a C5Z which was also better. But at least the C6 rack is precise, just lacks feel and heft until you are going much faster and cornering up near the limit of the car. It actually feels OK on track, but you never drive it hard enough to liven up the steering on the street - at least I don't! It's one of those is what it is things. Better tires may help - wider tires may even help. But you will learn to live with it - it's not terrible, it's just a bit numb on center and far too much boost.

But congrats on the car! Looks great and love the color!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Nomomoney
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I too love that color. It's the same exterior/interior color combo as mine.

And, as far as the acquisition and it's purpose, very admirable.

Allen
Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cellent buy and car

Excellent buy. I think you were smart enough to spot this as a solid deal. You just got the confirmation from members here. Talking to the owner is added confirmation.

Your car is the exact same year/spec as mine including two top option. Only mine is jet stream blue. I bought mine Nov, 2011 with 3500 miles for $37K. It did have LG headers/cats, cold air intake, short throw shifter all professionally installed.

I really think the 08/09 narrow body Z51 option cars are a sweet package.

Good idea to go thru all the fluids.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:56 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Originally Posted by Nomomoney
I too love that color. It's the same exterior/interior color combo as mine.

And, as far as the acquisition and it's purpose, very admirable.

Allen
Thanks, gotta get tires on it though, I went for a ride with my father and it and he jumped on it in 2nd, while in a slight turn .... took me back to when I was in school and autocrossing/instructing a lot... "do NOT floor it unless your steering wheel is straight!!"

Thank god for the nannies...

Fantastic ride though, Cannot wait to get it to the car lined up, new tires and to Watkins Glen! That power going up the esses and out of the toe of the boot will be awesome.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Quick Reply: 2009 Corvette Value, is this a good buy?