C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Low Beam Headlight Wire Recall (MERGED)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 04:15 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Got the notice for my '09 a month ago. Taking it in Mon. to be done.

Service manager said they have had several cars come in with no low beams.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:28 PM
BobST1100
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Help with Headlamp Recall

Just had the Recall performed. Seemed simple enough but I've developed the following symptoms.
1st: The 1-4th gear lockout no longer is working when engine reaches operating temperature.
2nd: My Daytime Running lights are working intermittently. When they do come on, they're too bright(likely activating the signal filaments).
3. My cooling fan seems to come on and it's been ramping up and down in speed ~ Again intermittently.

The engine's computer does not have the original program. It has Edelbrock's Tuning for the Stage 1 SC but it's been running correctly for over 9 months and 7500 miles so, I know they're not to blame. This matter just happened after Chevy added the jumper....Will be bringing it back to Chevy to discuss the Tech's creativity but would rather address this matter myself.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BobST1100
Just had the Recall performed. Seemed simple enough but I've developed the following symptoms.
1st: The 1-4th gear lockout no longer is working when engine reaches operating temperature.
2nd: My Daytime Running lights are working intermittently. When they do come on, they're too bright(likely activating the signal filaments).
3. My cooling fan seems to come on and it's been ramping up and down in speed ~ Again intermittently.

The engine's computer does not have the original program. It has Edelbrock's Tuning for the Stage 1 SC but it's been running correctly for over 9 months and 7500 miles so, I know they're not to blame. This matter just happened after Chevy added the jumper....Will be bringing it back to Chevy to discuss the Tech's creativity but would rather address this matter myself.

I know its too late for you but I am not having this done on Thursday with my inspection . I know people say there is too much hype and this is an internet thing, but i see too many average people having issues after this recall "fix". Its not getting done, I'll sign what I need to sign... Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:59 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

That sux, sorry to hear! I was ready to bring mine in, even spoke to a local dealer that has a "Certified Vette Mechanic" working there, started reading about these problems some were having and I've decided to wait. I very rarely drive at night and if the lights go out while I happen to be driving at night, I'll head home with the high beams. Great that GM is fixing a problem but not so great that in some cases the fix creates more problems. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:14 PM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine done this morning (2009) and it seems ok. Yikes. I'll keep my eyes open regarding the creation of new problems.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Got mine done yesterday- no visible wires, headlights work normally, windows index properly, didn't seem to lose any memory settings.

EDIT:
Seat memory settings seem unchanged, but the outside mirror settings were different. All else ok.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 05-03-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 AM
BobST1100
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psp6158
I know its too late for you but I am not having this done on Thursday with my inspection . I know people say there is too much hype and this is an internet thing, but i see too many average people having issues after this recall "fix". Its not getting done, I'll sign what I need to sign... Good luck, keep us updated.
Here's an update on things:

The only problem with the Running lights was me. It seems car's computer know's that if the hand brake is applied, there's no reason to leave the Running lights turn on. I suspect I checked them with and without the brake on and thought they weren't working correctly. They seem to be working predictably now.

The dealer used the Tech-2 to attempt to engage the SV but said it failed. Told me it's not going to effect the operation of the trannie and didn't need to replace it. On the drive home, it started working and has been working since. Not sure what to make of this.

My cooling fans are also working without the sudden ramping up and down. I don't know what to make of this either. I hate when I don't know the cause of the fix....and if it's really fixed.

Been using the car locally and have put on lots of miles without any issues so, I'm thinking this matter is over.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Here's an update on things:

The only problem with the Running lights was me. It seems car's computer know's that if the hand brake is applied, there's no reason to leave the Running lights turn on. I suspect I checked them with and without the brake on and thought they weren't working correctly. They seem to be working predictably now.

The dealer used the Tech-2 to attempt to engage the SV but said it failed. Told me it's not going to effect the operation of the trannie and didn't need to replace it. On the drive home, it started working and has been working since. Not sure what to make of this.

My cooling fans are also working without the sudden ramping up and down. I don't know what to make of this either. I hate when I don't know the cause of the fix....and if it's really fixed.

Been using the car locally and have put on lots of miles without any issues so, I'm thinking this matter is over.
I had mine at the dealer yesterday and two C6s came as I was there to have the recall done. I talked to the service manager who said they have done a lot of them with no issues. I have been beyond eased with everything they have done in the past so maybe I just have a good dealership to work with. I will be setting up an appointment soon. Glad to hear its all good.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:13 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Had my recall done on Wednesday, no issues everything has been working fine, had to re-index my windows no big deal takes 20 seconds and re set my pre- set channels on the radio.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 AM
billl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After recall fix TPMS sensor stopped working

So anyone have a problem with the TPMS sensors after the fix? I tried to think of everything that could be wrong before I left the dealership. Had to re index the windows so the top would work. Dealer couldn't figure it out, I had to tell them. Anyway on the way home I find the drivers rear TPMS sensor reads zero. No light on the dash nothing. So I'm guessing the sensor never paired after the power was reapplied to the car? Yes the tire has air in it. That was my first thought and I checked it when I got home. So it is definitely the sensor not paired to the car now grrr. Any idea how I can fix this myself? I have a 2006 C6 Convertible 3LT Z51 package. Has memory and power top. Everything else seems to be working. Had to re index the windows, mentioned earlier, dealer was clueless. Not really thrilled taking it back to them. But with run flats I don't want to go very far without them working. Since I have no idea if you can tell if they are indeed flat? Any help would be appreciated. Can I reset this myself?

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by billl; 07-27-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:16 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by billl
So anyone have a problem with the TPMS sensors after the fix? I tried to think of everything that could be wrong before I left the dealership. Had to re index the windows so the top would work. Dealer couldn't figure it out, I had to tell them. Anyway on the way home I find the drivers rear TPMS sensor reads zero. No light on the dash nothing. So I'm guessing the sensor never paired after the power was reapplied to the car? Yes the tire has air in it. That was my first thought and I checked it when I got home. So it is definitely the sensor not paired to the car now grrr. Any idea how I can fix this myself? I have a 2006 C6 Convertible 3LT Z51 package. Has memory and power top. Everything else seems to be working. Had to re index the windows, mentioned earlier, dealer was clueless. Not really thrilled taking it back to them. But with run flats I don't want to go very far without them working. Since I have no idea if you can tell if they are indeed flat? Any help would be appreciated. Can I reset this myself?
Well, Bill, it may be that one or more of your sensors may be nearing the end of it's life. The shortest I had was about 3 years (on my '09), and my '05 still has two of the original sensors (one of which is starting to go), so, the range in the real world is HUGE!

In my experience, losing power doesn't affect the tpms, at all. Switching the tires will confuse the issue for sure. Check with a hand-held to see if this may have happened.

I'd be more afraid to go very far if I wasn't using RFs. A tire pressure gauge is a good thing to carry, regardless. Check with it whenever adding air--the onboard systems don't sample often enough to be accurate guides when adding air.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM
billl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by owc6
Well, Bill, it may be that one or more of your sensors may be nearing the end of it's life. The shortest I had was about 3 years (on my '09), and my '05 still has two of the original sensors (one of which is starting to go), so, the range in the real world is HUGE!

In my experience, losing power doesn't affect the tpms, at all. Switching the tires will confuse the issue for sure. Check with a hand-held to see if this may have happened.

I'd be more afraid to go very far if I wasn't using RFs. A tire pressure gauge is a good thing to carry, regardless. Check with it whenever adding air--the onboard systems don't sample often enough to be accurate guides when adding air.
It was working just fine when I brought the car in. It's of course possible that it is near the end of it's life. But it seems odd to me that it would just happen to die at the same time they pulled the power on the car.

I don't have a problem with checking the tires with an actual gauge. But with run flats how will I even know if one is flat? Does the car handle different? Never had run flat tires before so I don't even know how to expect them to act if they are indeed flat.

Bill
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When I disconnected the battery on our 2009, all four TPMS were dead after the battery was re-connected. I can't recall whether they read "0" or "xxx", but they certainly weren't reading the actual pressures.

A quick drive around the block (30 mph +) brought them all back to life, some other folks have had the same issue but not everyone.

As Lisa mentioned, it may be just a coincidence that yours is getting old and going to sleep now. Or not.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 AM
billl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
When I disconnected the battery on our 2009, all four TPMS were dead after the battery was re-connected. I can't recall whether they read "0" or "xxx", but they certainly weren't reading the actual pressures.

A quick drive around the block (30 mph +) brought them all back to life, some other folks have had the same issue but not everyone.

As Lisa mentioned, it may be just a coincidence that yours is getting old and going to sleep now. Or not.
Yea sorry I haven't updated this in a couple days. So here is where I am at. Friend of mine is a mechanic and he had a TPMS tool to reset them. So I tried it and it worked for the other 3 wheels but this one is dead. So I'm making the assumption that the sensor is indeed dead? This morning I pulled the wheel took the tire down and we popped the sensor out and I have a new one on the way should be here this afternoon. I'll use the tool again when I get the new sensor in and see if that fixes the issue. Auto Zone had them for $50.00. If this works I may try fixing the old one so I have a spare (I'm sure the other ones are warming up in the bull pen ). I've seen a few YouTube videos on doing this.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM
billl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billl
Yea sorry I haven't updated this in a couple days. So here is where I am at. Friend of mine is a mechanic and he had a TPMS tool to reset them. So I tried it and it worked for the other 3 wheels but this one is dead. So I'm making the assumption that the sensor is indeed dead? This morning I pulled the wheel took the tire down and we popped the sensor out and I have a new one on the way should be here this afternoon. I'll use the tool again when I get the new sensor in and see if that fixes the issue. Auto Zone had them for $50.00. If this works I may try fixing the old one so I have a spare (I'm sure the other ones are warming up in the bull pen ). I've seen a few YouTube videos on doing this.
"UPDATE"

Happy to report the new sensor is in. I used the tool to relearn the sensors and it was a success. It appears everything is working as it should. I'll take it out later when it cools down just to confirm everything, but it looks the the problem is solved.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:38 AM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Just got my low beam headlight by past done yesterday at Oasis Chevrolet in & out in 20 minutes!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Got mine done over a week ago when it was in the shop for a new shifter. No issues and no changes to 'driver' settings.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Low Beam Headlight Wire Recall (MERGED)

Old 08-29-2015, 04:36 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I ordered the parts, to do it myself,

and I sent the receipt to GM for reimbursement, we will see if they make this easy or if they jack me around
Old 08-29-2015, 09:08 PM
jjbravo1
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How much was it?
My dealers here aren't accustomed to Vette's at all.
I'd much rather do it myself...
Old 08-29-2015, 10:38 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

My resistance broke down, and I had the recall done. I didn't really want to do it until the low beams failed AGAIN.

I brought it in for the fix (which was not just the jumper in the fuse box, but also a wire to the headlight assembly; anybody else encounter this?), with the top down, and picked it up with the top down. I had a total brain fart, because I couldn't put the top up, when I wanted to leave. Left it with them to figure out, and got about a half a block away, and, DUH, the windows need to be re-indexed.

It happens to even the most experienced of us.

Quick Reply: C6 Low Beam Headlight Wire Recall (MERGED)