C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

30 years later, I'm in my first Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 AM
HarleyEarl1953
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 30 years later, I'm in my first Corvette!

Just before I turned 10, I lived across the street from a USAF fighter pilot. When he came home to visit, he was always in a blue C4. It was a beautiful car, and I used to sneak across the street just to see it up close. He eventually heard how much I liked his car, and he offered to give me a quick spin around the neighborhood. Our neighborhood had a 3/4 mile stretch that was a steady uphill, mostly straight but with one nice bend towards the top. After making sure no one was on the road, he punched the throttle and the Vette roared through that stretch of road. I'd never been in a performance car before, and I immediately fell in love with Corvettes. I told myself at that point that I would have my own...someday. I would build models of them as a child, plus I had the obligatory posters on my bedroom walls. When I turned 16, my grandparents gave me my "first Vette"...which was a red C4 Matchbox car.

I came close to my first real Vette 7 years ago when I nearly pulled the trigger on a 03 Z06 with low miles. I chose an Acura TL instead, as I would need a place for a car seat someday. That car has been great to me, but it came time to replace it. My saint of a wife said that I should go for it this time. It was a true "sometimes you just have to say WTF" moment. She knew it was my long-time dream and encouraged me to finally have my own Vette (I really out-kicked my coverage with her!!).

Yesterday, I brought home a 2013 2LT Coupe. It's Black on Black, has 5,500 miles on it, has NAV, HUD, Lloyds mats, and really sweet Cray's wheels with Michelins instead of the stock GY's. It appears to be a truly flawless garage queen, and I have a severe case of permagrin now! I have no idea how to get pics up here, but hope to show it off soon. It sat among several stingrays at the dealer yesterday, and it garnered the most comments (lots on the wheels too). I popped the top off right away, and drove home with the wind in my hair!! It is a real beauty...but still not close to my wife & daughter ;-)

I can finally stop lurking the forums as a dreamer and join all of you as an owner of the best car ever made!!! Thanks to everyone that has provided great info/advice through my years here as a shopper/researcher. I look forward to the same now that I'm an owner!

Sitting next to younger brother Stingray on the lot before I drove it home.

Last edited by HarleyEarl1953; 07-14-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by HarleyEarl1953
Just before I turned 10, I lived across the street from a USAF fighter pilot. When he came home to visit, he was always in a blue C4. It was a beautiful car, and I used to sneak across the street just to see it up close. He eventually heard how much I liked his car, and he offered to give me a quick spin around the neighborhood. Our neighborhood had a 3/4 mile stretch that was a steady uphill, mostly straight but with one nice bend towards the top. After making sure no one was on the road, he punched the throttle and the Vette roared through that stretch of road. I'd never been in a performance car before, and I immediately fell in love with Corvettes. I told myself at that point that I would have my own...someday. I would build models of them as a child, plus I had the obligatory posters on my bedroom walls. When I turned 16, my grandparents gave me my "first Vette"...which was a red C4 Matchbox car.

I came close to my first real Vette 7 years ago when I nearly pulled the trigger on a 03 Z06 with low miles. I chose an Acura TL instead, as I would need a place for a car seat someday. That car has been great to me, but it came time to replace it. My saint of a wife said that I should go for it this time. It was a true "sometimes you just have to say WTF" moment. She knew it was my long-time dream and encouraged me to finally have my own Vette (I really out-kicked my coverage with her!!).

Yesterday, I brought home a 2013 2LT Coupe. It's Black on Black, has 5,500 miles on it, has NAV, HUD, Lloyds mats, and really sweet Cray's wheels with Michelins instead of the stock GY's. It appears to be a truly flawless garage queen, and I have a severe case of permagrin now! I have no idea how to get pics up here, but hope to show it off soon. It sat among several stingrays at the dealer yesterday, and it garnered the most comments (lots on the wheels too). I popped the top off right away, and drove home with the wind in my hair!! It is a real beauty...but still not close to my wife & daughter ;-)

I can finally stop lurking the forums as a dreamer and join all of you as an owner of the best car ever made!!! Thanks to everyone that has provided great info/advice through my years here as a shopper/researcher. I look forward to the same now that I'm an owner!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Congratulations

An occasion to have a sip from that bottle of Pappy's.......

To post pics just press the insert image icon above and follow directions.

Here's a thread on posting pics.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...-pictures.html

Last edited by R&L's C6; 07-13-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Nice write up. A lot of us have similar stories and remember the exact moment we fell in love with the Corvette.
Sit back and enjoy the ride. Lots of good information on this forum all you have to do is ask.
Welcome to the club and enjoy miles of smiles in your Vette.

Last edited by Scuba Ghost; 07-13-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 AM
HarleyEarl1953
Instructor

Thanks! I'm posting from my phone and didn't have that option. I'll get to the big computer later today and get some pics up!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 AM
my04heritage
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats are in order. I hope you enjoy each and every day!!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Now start living the dream.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:51 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,911 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congrats!!
Here is to many miles of smiles.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Nice story, and I know exactly how you feel, because I lived it myself!

Best of luck, and miles of smiles!

And remember...

Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Way, way up top of the threads---just above where the 'sticky' threads start---is a thread about a new way of posting pictures. The directions aren't perfect (about 99% though and much better than I could ever provide), but I am terrible with computers and technology and even I could figure things out.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW CAR. Now drive it and enjoy it----no more garage queen treatment. Enjoy!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM
JERGENSEN LS3
Melting Slicks

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

Get those pics up.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by yellow427
...--no more garage queen treatment. Enjoy!
Yo OP, be it a garage queen or a daily driver, to each his own.

Enjoy it as you wish!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:02 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Great story, great car. Get out and drive it. It's a shame to leave these cars sitting in a garage!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyEarl1953

Congrats!!! I like you was a stalker in this forum (8 years for me), before I finally pulled the trigger. But it was worth the wait. You are gonna love it. See......dreams DO come true!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:38 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats from another recent first timer!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:37 PM
airspeed
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

congrats on the dream car best of luck I am sure you are going to enjoy it every minute of it
this month marks my one year as an owner I and I am still so excited just thinking of my car.

Get notified of new replies

To 30 years later, I'm in my first Corvette!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:01 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

OP, don't feel bad it took me 31 years.

At 15 I saw a modified corvette loft the front wheels on main street of our little town. The ground shook, the engine roared and I was hooked.

Got my C4 when I was 40.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:19 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
Old 07-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Great story my friend. I do understand the premagrin. My dearest allowed me my first Corvette as my 30's crisis car in 1983, a 1975 Coupe. Now 30 years later I still get that same feeling every time I start the engine. May you have many many miles & smiles.

Quick Reply: 30 years later, I'm in my first Corvette!