C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Jacob Cole
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default active handling

I just got back from a seven month deployment and on the second day back i started to drive my 2008 Corvette. I was going around an off ramp around 30-40mph when the brakes seemed to apply and let off and the active handling light periodically came on. This problem has progressively got worse the past few days to the point where I have a great amount of play in my steering wheel. What i mean by that is when i go to turn the steering wheel, it isn't direct and if i jerk it quickly to go around a turn the active handling light will come on and go off (it not comes on and off even when i slightly turn almost every time). The steering wheel also has play even when the car is off (about an 1/8th of a turn play)
Ive looked this problem up on other threads and found similar problems relating to the service active handling and traction control but non seem to say anything about the steering wheel play.
I like most people want to avoid spending an arm and leg at the dealership so if there is any ideas to this problem please help me out!!

Last edited by Jacob Cole; 07-10-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Have you checked for fault codes? Most of sthe auto part (chain) stores will read them for you for no charge if you do not have a scan tool.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This is step one...cost $0.00

If the car sat for seven months, un-used, you might need to drive it upwards of sixty miles to give all the sensors time to take readings, adjust themselves, and collect new data. Was the battery disconnected for this period, if so, take it for a long drive. Same principle applies when you change a bad/dead battery.

It does sound like the steering wheel position sensor may be having issues. Does the car track straight with no hands both in accelleration and braking? Does the car track straight when the steering wheel is centered? If the answer is no, you may need an adjustment on the steering.

As for the play, check you steering fluid. Is it full? Start the car, while stopped, turn the wheel hard left then right (all the way until it stops) a couple of times to exercise the hydrulics and ensure the system is full.

G/L
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Jacob Cole
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar
This is step one...cost $0.00

If the car sat for seven months, un-used, you might need to drive it upwards of sixty miles to give all the sensors time to take readings, adjust themselves, and collect new data. Was the battery disconnected for this period, if so, take it for a long drive. Same principle applies when you change a bad/dead battery.

It does sound like the steering wheel position sensor may be having issues. Does the car track straight with no hands both in accelleration and braking? Does the car track straight when the steering wheel is centered? If the answer is no, you may need an adjustment on the steering.

As for the play, check you steering fluid. Is it full? Start the car, while stopped, turn the wheel hard left then right (all the way until it stops) a couple of times to exercise the hydrulics and ensure the system is full.

G/L
I did give a fellow corvette owner power of attorney so he could drive it occasionally but not too much. i have an appointment for an oil change tomorrow, so ill ask them to check the codes.
The steering wheel does not track straight when driving straight. When i make a left turn and center back straight, the steering wheel is slightly to the left and vise versa for turning right.
Thanks so much for the tips and ill be sure to check them all out, but for now ill be driving my gf mustangs

Get notified of new replies

To active handling

Quick Reply: active handling