C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
Default Is it just me???

In one Thread regarding the creaking, popping, squeaking sound of the Targa roofs, there were 61 replies and 6,623 views and counting. And that's for only one Thread. If you Searched this forum for the same topic, you would find even more Threads regarding this same issue. I agree with one post who stated that when he finally got it fixed, it was like driving a new car and he even considering selling it because of this issue. Is it just me or do others feel that this issue should have been addressed by GM through some kind of recall/fix? As I'm sure others can attest, this irritating sound makes the car seem like an old junk, and even an embarrassment when we take others for a ride. This is unacceptable to me and one issue where there has to be some permanent fix for. It took a clever thinking forum member to come up with O Rings for a fix! Come on GM, the Vette is not some cheap economy car where these annoyances are common place. These are expensive sports cars that shouldn't sound like an old fishing boat while driving which is up to the owner to fix with a couple of O Rings bought at the local hardware store!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,988 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That's what the bean counters do.....they tell the engineers to cheapen it up so you end up with a popping roof...easy fix though and gives you some pride that you can fix it yourself. Now lets talk about the damn fuel level sensors....not an easy fix and very poorly engineered that you have to tear half the rear end apart just to get to the problem....more bean counters involved here also I'm thinking....
Old 07-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Eric ray
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAsVette
In one Thread regarding the creaking, popping, squeaking sound of the Targa roofs, there were 61 replies and 6,623 views and counting. And that's for only one Thread. If you Searched this forum for the same topic, you would find even more Threads regarding this same issue. I agree with one post who stated that when he finally got it fixed, it was like driving a new car and he even considering selling it because of this issue. Is it just me or do others feel that this issue should have been addressed by GM through some kind of recall/fix? As I'm sure others can attest, this irritating sound makes the car seem like an old junk, and even an embarrassment when we take others for a ride. This is unacceptable to me and one issue where there has to be some permanent fix for. It took a clever thinking forum member to come up with O Rings for a fix! Come on GM, the Vette is not some cheap economy car where these annoyances are common place. These are expensive sports cars that shouldn't sound like an old fishing boat while driving which is up to the owner to fix with a couple of O Rings bought at the local hardware store!
Amen Bro.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Finding a quick, cheap solution here was preferable to me. I don't have time to schedule an appointment at the dealer, take the car in on a day off and then wait for 4 hours while they put some lube on the rollers. I was able to do that myself in 10 minutes. There hasn't been a peep from the top since then.

Thanks Corvette Forum!
Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

actually mine is far worse when it is the back hatch area. Those terribly cheap brackets squeek from just touching them. Anybody have a Fix for that?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

It's you.....
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

It was addressed.They came out with new latches sometime around mid 08. The General is horrible at doing what they should do before it becomes an issue to the masses..and sometimes they do nothing...until caught..think the current starter issues recalls.My top is at the body shop now because the rear latch mechanism basically fell apart...and this is the same one,that they bragged about,they are using for the c7. Quite frankly, a Corvettes should not be a 60+ thousand dollar car the way it sits...40 grand maybe...power alone does not justify exorbitant msrp's even though they may be discounted 15 grand.Look at the 100+ ZR1.All that carbon fiber but they still use a cheap *** vinyl shift boot and that,to me,is an insult.I love my Vette but I've come to learn a little over the past decade of owning them.The General WILL ATTEMPT TO GET AWAY WITH AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BEFORE MOVING A MUSCLE TOWARDS a fix of any kind,Think HARMONIC BALANCER!!! There are Hyundai's that have better interior material wise then our Vettes,like it or not.Having said all that, I think I'll go sit in mine for a while and just enjoy it standing still because it's raining out!!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:20 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by glenB
It's you.....

I used heat shrink on the post with great results. No noise for 2 years now (still lube the weatherstrip).

Now if I could just find some sway bar endlinks that would last more than 2 years.........Tried GM twice and LG heavy duty quite end links twice.....noise came back 2 months ago.

Last edited by wayback; 07-09-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
The General is horrible at doing what they should do before it becomes an issue to the masses..and sometimes they do nothing...until caught..think the current starter issues recalls.My top is at the body shop now because the rear latch mechanism basically fell apart...and this is the same one,that they bragged about,they are using for the c7. Quite frankly, a Corvettes should not be a 60+ thousand dollar car the way it sits...40 grand maybe...power alone does not justify exorbitant msrp's even though they may be discounted 15 grand.Look at the 100+ ZR1.All that carbon fiber but they still use a cheap *** vinyl shift boot and that,to me,is an insult.I love my Vette but I've come to learn a little over the past decade of owning them.The General WILL ATTEMPT TO GET AWAY WITH AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE BEFORE MOVING A MUSCLE TOWARDS a fix of any kind,Think HARMONIC BALANCER!!! There are Hyundai's that have better interior material wise then our Vettes,like it or not.Having said all that, I think I'll go sit in mine for a while and just enjoy it standing still because it's raining out!!
Right on! And I'm on my third Vette (C4, C5 and now, C6). Each generation gets a little better, but to me the Corvette continues to be a perplexing blend of brilliant engineering and cheap execution.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,016 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I cleaned my weather-stripping with 303 and lubed pins and all metal surfaces with Tetra® Lube Grease, problem solved.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Same here.
Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I cleaned my weather-stripping with 303 and lubed pins and all metal surfaces with Tetra® Lube Grease, problem solved.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:46 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by ls1121
actually mine is far worse when it is the back hatch area. Those terribly cheap brackets squeek from just touching them. Anybody have a Fix for that?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Try a small strip of the smooth side of a Velcro strip pair. Stick it in the 'catch' portion and it will cushion the latches and stop the squeaks.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
It's you.....
I'm going to agree. People always are quick to complain but of course the ones that have no issues have no reason to speak/brag on it. The sky's not falling.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sure do, apply a small piece of the fuzzy part of a velcro adhesive strip to the surface of the rear hatch mounts. works.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
sure do, apply a small piece of the fuzzy part of a velcro adhesive strip to the surface of the rear hatch mounts. works.
Great minds think alike. (see my post just before yours)
Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 PM
sledmaster
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems the problem has carried over to the C7 also.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it just me???

Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Is it just me or shouldn't GM have issued a recall on the gas tanks? Every time I drive over 400 miles I start getting these dings and messages about low fuel and I have to stop and add gas to the tiny tanks. Why can't GM spend a few more dollars and put in gas tanks large enough so that I don't have to do maintenance on them all the time?

Every engineering decision is a compromise. Cost, function, maintenance, and politics are involved in every decision an engineer makes. If the top didn't squeek C6 owners would find something else to complain about. GM got it down to a $5 tube of grease that would last forever and applying every 6-12 months to solve the "most irritating" issue with the car. Also the routine grease maintenance will make a big difference in the condition of the seals after 10 years. Consider the sqeek a reminder to do the routine maintenance needed to make the rather expensive to replace seals last more than 10 years.

A recall? For a few minutes a year of maintenance? Seriously???
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,016 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sledmaster
Seems the problem has carried over to the C7 also.
And they have squeaky tail-light.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 AM
kimdjay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I notice is that recalls seem to only happen when the end result is that the car could possible end up crashing. Like the GM ignition switch problem or the recent (finally) corvette fuse box headlight issue. I don't think that anyone could create a correlation that shows the corvette could crash as a result of the roof squeaking and popping. So can anyone out there put together a scenario where that may happen? If so, perhaps we could get this moved to a recall status.

Quick Reply: Is it just me???