C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many Daily Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM
HarleyEarl1953
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How many Daily Drivers?

Strongly considering a C6 as my next car. I do not track my cars...just spend a lot of time in them as daily drivers. How many of you use them as DD's? Do you notice any wear/tear issues as a result? Just trying to understand what I should keep in mind going forward.

Also, any options you consider a "must" in a DD Vette? Things like Bluetooth streaming audio, F55, etc that make the drives better (outside of the fact that you're in a Corvette!!!)?
Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

I DD mine, but have not had it long enough to tell you the wear and tear part of your question. I think the driver seats take a beating early, from what I've read here.
Look for 08 and up for bluetooth features. I like to keep my car detailed well and for me a clear bra is a must, if you happen on a real clean car. As a DD it will see allot of road rash and having the bra will save allot of the finish on the front end. I'm getting the Xpel Ultimate bra on mine next week, just the bumper which takes the worst beating. I would look also at the base model, just because of the operating costs when buying tires for the GS models, are very expensive, and from what I've also read here seem to wear very fast.
Mine has the Z51 option, which some people will say rides hard for a DD, but I have no problems with it. The F55 would be the ultimate I think with being able to adjust the firmness of the ride.

Good luck

'pilot

Last edited by extrapilot; 07-09-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
CHedberg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my '05 w/ Z51 daily. My parents have a '13 GS with F55, which feels much better on the roads here in CT. The Z51 is bumpy, but not any worse than my E46 w/ sport suspension. Since it is an 05, there is no bluetooth (which I don't want or need). I added an AUX input (through the XM radio) so I can stream music from my phone.

You want a HUD! 1SB(2005 only) or 3LT+ trim levels have the HUD as standard. You will find that most online adverts from "non-Vette" dealers/owners will not specify the trim level or any Corvette specific options (like the HUD). You need to study the pictures closely or see the car and reference the option code sticker.

A lot depends on your budget for the vehicle. I'll tell you the same thing I told my dad when he was looking: 2011-2013 GS 3LT+ w/ F55 and manual transmission. Here is the reasoning:
Grand sport for the wide body, Z06 brakes, larger wheels and tires.
3LT for the HUD
F55 so you can have a more pleasant ride on interstate or bad roads
2011 or newer for F55 on GS
MZ6 (since it is a GS) for the dry sump + manual transmissions are fun.

Last edited by CHedberg; 07-09-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Have a 13 GS DD since December 2013 with no problems but I only live about 3 miles from my office. On my last daily driver I had 8 years and bought it with 6000 on it and it was still under 60,000 when I sold it.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have been daily driving a vette since 2004. They make great DD. My 07 has been wonderful for 130,000 miles with just 2 issues covered under warranty. Tires and batteries are the biggest expense then oil and fluid changes...ie regular maintenance.

I do not have Bluetooth but do not miss it as I rarely use the radio. The sound out of the pipes is music to my ears.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

I DD mine, but I've also had it for less than a month. It's an '09 ZR1, and one of the really small and super annoying issues is that little rocks like to accumulate in between the rocker and quarter panels, and it can get annoying

I live in Michigan, and some of the roads are pretty crap, and the ride doesn't bother me. It's worse than my 2000 Honda Accord, but not bad. I'm also only 23 though, so take that as you will. The only thing that I worry about is the ride height.

I agree that a clear bra is probably necessary. Aside from that, all the other options are personal preference. I haven't even set up the Bluetooth in mine yet because I haven't even used it yet.

Good luck on your purchase!

Last edited by Crabbers; 07-09-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
2008GT500
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2010 3LT Grand Sport as a daily. The only downside I can see to it is the tires are more expensive, but when I need to replace them, I'm hoping Michelin will have the A/S 3 in my size.

I kinda want to bust the cats out for mileage, but don't want the raspiness. I think the NPP sounds great stock. As far as options, equip it as you like. Mine is loaded minus Nav which is great for me.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 PM
HarleyEarl1953
Instructor

Lots of good info (as always)...I see a lot on here about the tires. What is the average expected life of them if I am not burning them up on a regular basis? I drive my TL pretty hard, but can still get approx 50,000 miles on a set (and I've been pretty negligent about rotating them). I know that the size differential doesn't allow for rotation, but do they really burn up that fast (again, if not doing burnouts regularly!!)?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Look for 08 and up for bluetooth features.
09 is when bluetooth was added
Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Kraz8s
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I DD my '12 GS. If you do get a wide body Vette protect the rear quarters with something. This fact never crossed my mind and I have a ton of rock chips after only having the car since last October.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Thesisinbold
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only is my vette my DD, that bad boy is supercharged.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 PM
nspendleton
Racer

I DD my 08 base. I drive almost 80 miles a day to work and back. I just recently put an aggressive cam in and love driving it everyday. I've thought about buying a beater for a DD, but know that I'll regret not driving the vette every day!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM
GaryPitts
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm a DD guy, but only been doing it a couple of months. Traded up from a Saturn Sky Redline, a.k.a. Baby vette

I can tell you that the HUD is just fabulous! Yes, you wouldn't miss it if you didn't have it (unless you'd had it before ), but after driving with it for a couple of months, it's just fabulous to not have to look down. And even though the factory nav is crappy compared to a Garmin, getting the turns in the HUD and not having to look at the nav screen is the cat's meow.

Monsoon is not worth it. Sounds pretty bad for a supposed high end system. Decent bass. No highs. I just yesterday swapped the stock door and rear speakers for some Pioneers and now I have my highs back. Wonderful! A very worthwhile $100 investment. What the non-Bose system sounds like I don't know.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

I have had my '05/Z51 for almost 4 months now and use it as my DD. I have put 7k miles on it already mostly because of my hour long commute to work (each way). There are positives and negatives for using it as a DD and as someone who drives it 2 hours a day M-F, I can tell you what I feel about it driving that kind of mileage. First of all however, keep in mind that the overall mileage on the car has a lot to do with your perception. Also, whether or not it's an auto or manual can sway your opinion one way or another.

First the negatives: My biggest problem on my '05, and this relates to what I said about mileage, is that the driver's seat has worn down much earlier than other cars I have had. I bought mine with 40k and the driver seat already had enough break down use as cars I've owned with over 100k on them. And I'm not talking about the leather itself. I'm referring to the break down of the cushion. Also, from what I've read in this forum, this seems to be pretty typical of this car. Even with 6 way adjustments. lumbar support, seat back recline etc, etc, I still can not get a comfortable position while driving. I have since reluctantly turned to using a back support pad which has helped. Many people have mentioned the harsh ride of the Z51 but that honestly doesn't bother me. It's a sports car after all so that is expected. But make no mistake, you will feel the road. Although personally I love driving my manual even as a DD, some people would rather have an auto when driving it that much. Personal preference I suppose but that to me is one of my positives when getting in my car every day going to work. Another negative at least for Targa Top owners is the dreaded creaking, squeaking that is well talked about on this forum. Although there is a fix for it, this will need to be maintained more often as more miles are put on the car. And even though the creaking may be tolerable for a short Sunday drive for weekend owners, that noise gets VERY irritating listening to it for an hour, day after day which music doesn't hide. Another negative is the gas mileage. I know there are some Vette owners who claim to get anywhere from 25 to 30 miles per gallon in their Vette, I have not averaged better than 22 with some city but mostly highway driving and I am far from an aggressive driver. At $4.25 plus a gallon for Premium here in CT, my monthly gas bill averages about $400.

Now the positives: While some other Vette owners are waiting to drive their's on the weekends, I get to drive mine every day. There is no better feeling than driving home in my Vette after a crappy day at work. With my manual trans, my commute home can feel like a drive on the track. Simply put, the Vette is a fun car to drive. Why put off until the weekend. And what happens if the weekend sucks weather- wise? Now you're waiting another week to enjoy it. Take off the Targa Top and now your ride home with wind in your face and with late afternoon sun, you will forget your stressful workday. Hey, let's face it...the Vette is a beautiful car. After spending the weekend detailing it, why not let others see it by bringing it to work. I may not have the absolute nicest car at my place of employment but it's in the top 2 or 3. I've been told though that I have the sweetest ride!

In short, the Vette makes a great DD. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SK360
09 is when bluetooth was added
Good catch, I must be thinking of the radio controls that are on the steering wheel.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JAsVette
I have had my '05/Z51 for almost 4 months now and use it as my DD. I have put 7k miles on it already mostly because of my hour long commute to work (each way). There are positives and negatives for using it as a DD and as someone who drives it 2 hours a day M-F, I can tell you what I feel about it driving that kind of mileage. First of all however, keep in mind that the overall mileage on the car has a lot to do with your perception. Also, whether or not it's an auto or manual can sway your opinion one way or another.

First the negatives: My biggest problem on my '05, and this relates to what I said about mileage, is that the driver's seat has worn down much earlier than other cars I have had. I bought mine with 40k and the driver seat already had enough break down use as cars I've owned with over 100k on them. And I'm not talking about the leather itself. I'm referring to the break down of the cushion. Also, from what I've read in this forum, this seems to be pretty typical of this car. Even with 6 way adjustments. lumbar support, seat back recline etc, etc, I still can not get a comfortable position while driving. I have since reluctantly turned to using a back support pad which has helped. Many people have mentioned the harsh ride of the Z51 but that honestly doesn't bother me. It's a sports car after all so that is expected. But make no mistake, you will feel the road. Although personally I love driving my manual even as a DD, some people would rather have an auto when driving it that much. Personal preference I suppose but that to me is one of my positives when getting in my car every day going to work. Another negative at least for Targa Top owners is the dreaded creaking, squeaking that is well talked about on this forum. Although there is a fix for it, this will need to be maintained more often as more miles are put on the car. And even though the creaking may be tolerable for a short Sunday drive for weekend owners, that noise gets VERY irritating listening to it for an hour, day after day which music doesn't hide. Another negative is the gas mileage. I know there are some Vette owners who claim to get anywhere from 25 to 30 miles per gallon in their Vette, I have not averaged better than 22 with some city but mostly highway driving and I am far from an aggressive driver. At $4.25 plus a gallon for Premium here in CT, my monthly gas bill averages about $400.

Now the positives: While some other Vette owners are waiting to drive their's on the weekends, I get to drive mine every day. There is no better feeling than driving home in my Vette after a crappy day at work. With my manual trans, my commute home can feel like a drive on the track. Simply put, the Vette is a fun car to drive. Why put off until the weekend. And what happens if the weekend sucks weather- wise? Now you're waiting another week to enjoy it. Take off the Targa Top and now your ride home with wind in your face and with late afternoon sun, you will forget your stressful workday. Hey, let's face it...the Vette is a beautiful car. After spending the weekend detailing it, why not let others see it by bringing it to work. I may not have the absolute nicest car at my place of employment but it's in the top 2 or 3. I've been told though that I have the sweetest ride!

In short, the Vette makes a great DD. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it!
on your positives whole heartily, enjoy everyday whether I had a bad day or good, and not wait for the weekend to have fun.
I have the Z51 also, and I know that the trans has a little lower 6th gear than the standard, hence to lower MPG. The best I've gotten was 24.5 on interstate type highways, and only drops to about 23.6 with the AC blasting.

'pilot
Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by extrapilot
on your positives whole heartily, enjoy everyday whether I had a bad day or good, and not wait for the weekend to have fun.
I have the Z51 also, and I know that the trans has a little lower 6th gear than the standard, hence to lower MPG. The best I've gotten was 24.5 on interstate type highways, and only drops to about 23.6 with the AC blasting.

'pilot

Get notified of new replies

To How many Daily Drivers?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM
VetteGirlMA
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I daily drive my 2013 grand sport convertible. There is nothing I love more than coming out of a long day in the office and dropping the top. I don't even have to drive fast, it's just the feeling of the open air. I also have an sdcard to USB adapter and an aluratek Bluetooth streamer for my iPhone. This gives me tons of music to listen to. So great music, convertible car, beautiful day, beautiful car, what's not to love??
Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Seems the stock GS tires are the fastest to wear out from what I read here. I am on my 5th set of tires with the last set put on at 118,000 miles. They still look like there is 80% left. I have 130,000 miles so far, so I avg 24,000 a set on non run flat tires. A set last just over a year and 3 months for me. Now if you wanted to they could be worn out in less than a day.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Ahzuz
Instructor

I am on the "not a daily driver" here.
I live in Montreal, it's a big city and I work downtown.

The traffic is HORRIBLE, the potholes are everywhere on the roads so it's very dangerous for a lowered Vette, and it's a maual.
Being stuck nose to nose traffic for 1hour always shifting, not fun !

My DD is the city bus and when I get home, if the weather fits I can go take a ride with the 'Vette. It's the best of both world.

Quick Reply: How many Daily Drivers?