C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help installing the F55 shock simualtors

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:03 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cclive
I'm thinking that these simulators are just a resistor in a delco plug.
Originally Posted by 69L68
Any guess what the resistance is?
While I was browsing the Cadillac STS forum I came across this in reference to disabling/simulating F55 shocks.

3ohm 50watt resistor
Old 07-13-2014, 08:50 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Well good for you that you have lots of cash to waste, because the average person really does not need F55 at all. I don't notice a huge difference, and I have tons of cash left in my pocket. Why are you even in this thread if you are just going to bash a bunch of people who obviously have the desire to get rid of F55 and save money? That is what this thread is all about, don't you understand that??? It's our decision to do that, it's not an unsafe move, and it's not ridiculous at all.
Sorry Patman, you're right. but you are wrong about one thing... i do not have tons of cash in my pocket. i just don't want to remove a valuable option from my car and feel like when i see these threads that people as opposed to saving a few bucks up and buying the F55 shocks, rush out and grab the cheap ones. I feel bad that guys are doing this as i know it's not what they wanted (really)..

If this was a road racing thread??? by all means, get some coil overs.. but these saving money threads are painful for a fanatical corvette fan.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
Sorry Patman, you're right. but you are wrong about one thing... i do not have tons of cash in my pocket. i just don't want to remove a valuable option from my car and feel like when i see these threads that people as opposed to saving a few bucks up and buying the F55 shocks, rush out and grab the cheap ones. I feel bad that guys are doing this as i know it's not what they wanted (really)..
I too would have preferred to keep it, but the extra $2000 in my pocket will pay for a lot of nice day trips for my family this summer. And while I do realize it's a sophisticated system, with the type of driving I do I honestly don't miss having it. Most of the roads I travel on are pretty smooth, and I don't road race my car nor do I really push the car hard in the corners. So for me it ended up being a good decision. To each their own
Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If this was a road racing thread??? by all means, get some coil overs.. but these saving money threads are painful for a fanatical corvette fan.
There's a difference between those who ordered their Vette and chose the options they wanted and those who bought a Vette, new or used, and settled for the options it already had. If a required option in either case was F55, it'd get repaired. If it just happened to be an option on the car and cost was an issue, their personal priorities rule.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:45 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chsia
Finally installed the simulators, then got these:

????
Figured out what happened! The two plugs to two of the shock solenoids were toasted, WTF . Service Ride Control and Max Speed 255 km/h messages don't seem to affect car. I am torn between buying a set of simulators or driving the car as it is - I will never go faster than 255 km/h (155 m/h) anyway.
toasted sims - see circles:

I decided to give these simulator plugs a try. First drive was no issue and the next day my dash flash the same "service ride control" and "max speed 158 mph" warning messages when I start the car. Does not affect the car and I have not test the 158 mph limit ... nor will I ever reach that speed on the track unless I decide to break land speed record at Utah salt flat

I have not check the plugs and see if they are toast like yours and I suspect mine have suffered similar fate. It does not appear there is a easy solution to get rid of magnetic shocks and many newer corvette (2011+) have magnetic shock software in BCM unit that can not be easily "erased"
Old 03-08-2015, 12:41 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Where did you get those parts? Are they GM?
At what mileage did your shocks fail? Front shocks first or rears?
One would think the price of these shocks would go down since there are more cars on the road using this type
Old 03-08-2015, 01:12 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by LS WON
Where did you get those parts? Are they GM?
At what mileage did your shocks fail? Front shocks first or rears?
One would think the price of these shocks would go down since there are more cars on the road using this type
Shock did not fail. I have coilover. Magnetic shock and leaf spring could not hold up to track use. I got the zip simulator plugs from one of the vendor - not GM parts. Will take a detail look at the zip simulator plugs and return them if defective - not cheap at $199
Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mikymu
Shock did not fail. I have coilover. Magnetic shock and leaf spring could not hold up to track use. I got the zip simulator plugs from one of the vendor - not GM parts. Will take a detail look at the zip simulator plugs and return them if defective - not cheap at $199
Thanks for that clarification.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,121 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
When you see the price tag to replace them you will change your tune rather quickly! I was quoted $2400 to change just the REAR shocks on mine. Changing to Z51 shocks was a no brainer for me
Let's not get carried away. a PAIR of ACDelco F55 shocks is $823 on Amazon. Labor to change would be the same.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Let's not get carried away. a PAIR of ACDelco F55 shocks is $823 on Amazon. Labor to change would be the same.
That's still a ridiculous price though! I ended up paying $500 for FOUR practically brand new Z51 shocks, and that included the labor and an alignment and lowering too!
Old 03-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Vetteguy88
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just get a set of coilovers at that price? Would be much superior to the F55 system at the track with little difference on the street. GM needs to stop selling these things at such ridiculous prices!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:20 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Last time I checked it was $2,400 to do a complete replacement of all 4 shocks. The shocks cost like $500+ each on a 2005 Corvette
Old 03-13-2015, 01:45 AM
mikymu
Pro

had a chance to inspect the simulator plugs and all the white end plugs to the magnetic shocks shown signs of overheat and one of them is so bad it melt the plastic at the end as shown below - this is after one quick 15 min drive. All the black color plugs are fine. Waiting to hear back from Zip to see if there is a fix

Old 03-13-2015, 02:21 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Vetteguy88
Why not just get a set of coilovers at that price? Would be much superior to the F55 system at the track with little difference on the street. GM needs to stop selling these things at such ridiculous prices!
Because Coilovers are NOT the same or superior to the F55 system. I actually drive my Vert....daily....and when I switch from tour to sport there is a BIG difference in the ride and handling....EXACTLY....as promised from GM. If and when they go bad .... I will replace them with OEM F55 shocks. And to those who deceide not to....thats fine as well. It's YOUR car and you can do what you like with it. IMHO.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:44 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vetteguy88
Won't the ride on public streets beat you up where you will feel every bump with coil overs? Tracks are ideal and perfect smooth roads unlike these pot hole streets. The F-55 will give a much better comfortable ride in day to day driving.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:37 AM
Cogf16
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also saw (in the past) people reference a tech II to delete the messages.. When mine needed replacing a friend mentioned the simulators and although i am not made of money LAUGHED in his face..i for one bought my C6 BECAUSE of the F55 and could not imagine swapping them out.. even after replacing the expensive shocks.. It handles irregular surfaces so much better. i test drive both and on these roads around here? F55 is a must in a vette..
Let me jump in here and ask a question(which has been covered before, I know!) I'm leaning heavily towards a '12 or 13 GS over a base and am concerned about a stiff ride( I had an '85 Z-51, very rough!!!)

Is the "non F55 ride" in a GS like a Z51, especially on rough roads? Is F55 a really nice thing to have for the ride?

Thanks,
Old 03-13-2015, 09:54 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
had a chance to inspect the simulator plugs and all the white end plugs to the magnetic shocks shown signs of overheat and one of them is so bad it melt the plastic at the end as shown below - this is after one quick 15 min drive. All the black color plugs are fine. Waiting to hear back from Zip to see if there is a fix

I got mine from ZIP too. I told ZIP the sims were toasted. ZIP was nice enough to send me a second set, but there were burned too. The sims are made by Casper's Electronics. I emailed the problem to Casper's. Got a reply saying they will look into it - never heard from them again. I will be very interested to see if you can find out the fix.

Right now, I just need to reset the warning messages every 10 minutes.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help installing the F55 shock simualtors

Old 03-13-2015, 12:13 PM
mikymu
Pro

I got mine from ZIP too. I told ZIP the sims were toasted. ZIP was nice enough to send me a second set, but there were burned too. The sims are made by Casper's Electronics. I emailed the problem to Casper's. Got a reply saying they will look into it - never heard from them again. I will be very interested to see if you can find out the fix.

Right now, I just need to reset the warning messages every 10 minutes.
That's does not sound promising
will keep you posted but I doubt Zip have solution for the issue esp if they are not the one that make the plugs
Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cogf16
Let me jump in here and ask a question(which has been covered before, I know!) I'm leaning heavily towards a '12 or 13 GS over a base and am concerned about a stiff ride( I had an '85 Z-51, very rough!!!)

Is the "non F55 ride" in a GS like a Z51, especially on rough roads? Is F55 a really nice thing to have for the ride?

Thanks,
I love the F-55 ride and can feel the difference between tour and sport.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 PM
mikymu
Pro

update, got hold of zip and they don't have a fix for the issue so they refund me fully. They are not made by zip I believe. Rich at Able Chevy was able to figure out ways to work with BCM unit so you can still have traction control options and install coilover. Contact Rich if you want to know the specifics

Quick Reply: Need help installing the F55 shock simualtors