C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used Z06.....how can I scan to find real mileage........

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

[QUOTE=400ci94mm;1587291103]
Originally Posted by ls1121

Your 44 years have been lacking than.......any dealer technician knows exactly hopw a jumper works.....

I can get you a video of one in action.....many people have them. They've been around for 20 years now, since circuit boards have been used to power gauge clusters.

Its a tool......called a jumper. Its used in many diagnostics of any type of circuitry.

Where have you been repairing cars??????
It's a Tool for thieves maybe. This Post is too shady for me I'm out of here.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

If he only wants $19000 I'll take it..........................
Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 400ci94mm
I did. They are going to try to pull the mileage out of the BCM or PCM. Unless my tuner can do it first.
You said car had a position sensor replaced at 1200 miles. What date was shown on the repair? That will give you another data point. If it's 3 years ago, opps! If it last month, 1800 could be right.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 AM
surfinva27
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The extremely rare number of people that knows someone who can and will attach a "stopper" to their car, or can do it themselves is such an incredibly LOW number, that its meaningless to the auto/auto insurance/auto warranty industry. Its not enough to change the way computers in cars operate.
if this number of people who have the right connections or know themselves how to install a stopper, why are you so extremely concerned this car was tampered with? not to mention you earlier said how easy it was to install these stoppers. you contradict yourself multiple times. this thread is getting shady fast. you seem very weary of this car, which is by no means a bad thing at all, its a big purchase. But I'm going to +1 if your this untrusting of the owner and car, you might be better off trying to locate a different car. Good Luck either way.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:44 AM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The OP is def a shady character. ...so he assumes everyone else is out to cheat him...if he was an honest guy he wouldn't even be thinking about all this....plus, he has spent an inordinate amount of time defending how normal it is with everyone he knows to use this common jumper/stopper. ... which is a crime.....sounds like he's hanging out with the wrong guys....

But the real answer is that a smart programmer can probably out smart almost any auto ecm on earth.......so if you don't trust this car then take a walk. .... and if your boat is worth 40k then you can sell it and buy any car you want...
Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

PBC and all of South Florida is full of shady people looking to make a quick buck, it's what sets that part of the country apart from most. I don't know what your concern is OP, if you have a gut feeling go with it and run the other way. What more is there to say.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:32 AM
400ci94mm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
#1 - 96GS#007 is one of the most knowledgeable and respected members of these forums.
#2 - When you start name-calling and ridiculing members who started out trying to help, you lose all credibility.
#3 - If you are so damn certain that these stoppers exist, prove it. Show us one. Show documentation of what it does.
#4 - If you are trading a boat straight across for a `10 ZO6 and getting such a hot deal, why are you dragging your feet and trying to prove the seller is a liar?
#1 - You need to re-read things twice so you can comprehend better....nobody called anyone any names
#2 - 96GS#007 used the intraweb typical "Crack Pipe" comment.....needs to grow up
#3 - Im not trying to prove anyone is a liar....I don't want to get stuck with a car that has false mileage, THEN I get blamed for it one day when its at the dealership for work. IT HAPPENS.....
Old 07-06-2014, 11:40 AM
400ci94mm
Instructor

Originally Posted by *Trip*
The OP is def a shady character. ...so he assumes everyone else is out to cheat him...if he was an honest guy he wouldn't even be thinking about all this....plus, he has spent an inordinate amount of time defending how normal it is with everyone he knows to use this common jumper/stopper. ... which is a crime.....sounds like he's hanging out with the wrong guys....

But the real answer is that a smart programmer can probably out smart almost any auto ecm on earth.......so if you don't trust this car then take a walk. .... and if your boat is worth 40k then you can sell it and buy any car you want...
There are car shows down here in South Florida where 1,000 cars will show up. People openly talk about their "stoppers". They aren't my friends. But I have seen them work.....
The Vettes lose the analog speedo....but the HUD speed readout still works. RPM gauge still works.

Jeez....if I was using stoppers why would I come here to give myself away. Im trying to figure out how to make sure a car I might buy is not a cheater car.....that's all.

Not sure why anything here is shady......Im sure not. I want the true mileage on my car or any car I might buy because its too stupid to cheat a few thousand miles when it doesn't even help the value that much....plus you risk getting caught and then you have a car worth nothing that nobody will buy.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:47 AM
400ci94mm
Instructor

Originally Posted by duckvett
#3 - If you are so damn certain that these stoppers exist, prove it. Show us one. Show documentation of what it does.
Ill do you one better. Next time I go to a show or any local shop where someone has one....I'll post a nice clear video of one in action. If they'll let me......

I explained how they work. You turn it on and the "jumper" disrupts power to the analog speedo, its just opening a circuit that was just closed, which in turn cannot tell the cluster to keep counting miles anymore. You lose that speedo. But the HUD speed read-out still works and so does every other item. I think you also lose the MPG computer too.

Some other cars....you lose the entire gauge cluster. Those people say they have to turn it on from time to time to check the gas gauge so they no when to fill up, because you lose the gas gauge needle too.

I can't believe a forum of thousands of people have not seen these over the years.......strange.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:48 AM
400ci94mm
Instructor

Have fun with this thread....Ill post if my tuner finds something or if the dealership does.

Ill post a video of a stopper in action if I can find someone to let me do the video on their car.

Outta here......
Old 07-06-2014, 12:14 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Well, I'll definitely have my tuner look for that number.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Jrockk
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idk this thread sounds fishy everyone has tried to help you and you just attack them
And if your boats worth 40$ why would you still be giving 19k on top
Speaking from years of dealin with boats and cars your numbers and facts are way off hard to believe you bought a boat for 19 now it's worth 40 especially that boat
Also I've been around cars for my whole life and never heard of this stopper I'm fully aware of ways to stop mileage on older cars but corvettes impossible computer would throw a error lack of communication
But again this thread sounded weird from the get sounds like it's your car and your nervous
Old 07-06-2014, 12:38 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

If a stopper was used on the car......then NOBODY will ever know it, and everyone wins. The seller, the buyer and anyone in the future.....because it has less miles showing than it really might have. So its an even playing field.........
Not sure why anything here is shady......Im sure not. I want the true mileage on my car or any car I might buy because its too stupid to cheat a few thousand miles when it doesn't even help the value that much....plus you risk getting caught and then you have a car worth nothing that nobody will buy.
So which is it? "Everyone wins" or "its too stupid"?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by EVRose
So which is it? "Everyone wins" or "its too stupid"?

I feel sorry for the OP......nobody wants to tell him if he could get busted using his "stopper".

Someone needs to put a stopper on this thread.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:16 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

By far one of the dumbest threads i've ever read on this forum. I try to play the middle ground and see things from both sides BUT....the OP shot himself in the foot when he said he has a boat worth x amount of dollars and he doesn't want want to get stuck with a car that has an odometer that was possibly tampered with...

#1 Ok why the F@*k even go through this MUCH trouble if you even have doubts
#2 If your boat is worth as much as you say it is (i wouldn't know, im not into boats) sell it for big money and look for another vette. There are WAY too good vettes going for good deals. And in 3 or 4 months there will be even better deals when fall/winter comes

Actually im dumb for even keeping up with this thread and even dumber for posting in it
Old 07-06-2014, 04:07 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Push the blue OnStar button and ask the operator to run a diagnostic and then tell you the reported mileage.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by adamsocb
Push the blue OnStar button and ask the operator to run a diagnostic and then tell you the reported mileage.
I wonder if the Onstar folks can see engine hours ?

Quick Reply: Buying used Z06.....how can I scan to find real mileage........