C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trials and Tribulations of my 2nd Vette Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Jays08Vert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trials and Tribulations of my 2nd Vette Purchase

Some of you may get a kick out of this. About 2 weeks ago, we found an 08 vert on CL that met all of our needs. It was about a 3 hour drive, so I called the owner (he's a super nice guy, even a member of this site) and we talked for a while and eventually agreed on a price. He said he wouldn't show it to anyone else until after I looked at it. Come to find out he filed a non-op on it, so the tags weren't current and since I was financing part of it, my bank required current registration. Fast forward a week and he took care of the DMV reg and went to have it smogged. It didn't pass smog due to him recently changing the battery after letting it sitting for quite some time. Turns out you have to complete a "drive cycle" which we've now come to understand slightly. No problem, we move the sale back another week and I schedule an appt with a mechanic. Mechanic checks it out and finds an oil pan gasket leak. He's a reputable guy based on some threads here, so I ask him if he's 100% sure that's the source and he says he is. The car has less than 14k miles, so the seller and I are pretty upset. Seller decides to call GM and complain and they agree to a free inspection and open a claim. This will be done Saturday, so we're both hopeful they address the issue and fix it for no cost to either of us. I just want to drive home my new car :-) Patience is not my strong suit!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Remember, good things come to he who waits. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

you're saying a gm dealer is willing to open a file on an '08 oil pan gasket leak and you're anxious/ansty? I say, cool it. first, the B2B and powertrain warranty are way long gone. second, that means to me gm owes the owner nothing on this one but may give a "goodwill gesture," which they seem to be making. and finally, when you get the car, do report back here, even if one or both of you have to pay out of pocket for the gasket replacement. if it's a good enough car, it's worth the pan gasket replacement, imo.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:57 PM
Jays08Vert
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Remember, good things come to he who waits. Good luck.
Yeah, that's what my wife keeps telling me. But it's hard looking at that empty spot in the garage
Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Jays08Vert
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
you're saying a gm dealer is willing to open a file on an '08 oil pan gasket leak and you're anxious/ansty? I say, cool it. first, the B2B and powertrain warranty are way long gone. second, that means to me gm owes the owner nothing on this one but may give a "goodwill gesture," which they seem to be making. and finally, when you get the car, do report back here, even if one or both of you have to pay out of pocket for the gasket replacement. if it's a good enough car, it's worth the pan gasket replacement, imo.
Oh, we both fully understand this is a gimme and would graciously accept anything they're willing to do. Just them agreeing to look at it is a huge win in my book. I'll definitely report back after the inspection.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I re-read my post and it doesn't sound too friendly---definitely not my intent. Sometimes, GM will split the cost or reduce it by a significant amount when they know they've seen this problem a lot. And they have seen it enough times to know it is not unusual. My pan was replaced under warranty, just before three years (B2B) expiration. And this is a large Corvette dealer that services many Corvettes per day.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Jays08Vert
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
I re-read my post and it doesn't sound too friendly---definitely not my intent. Sometimes, GM will split the cost or reduce it by a significant amount when they know they've seen this problem a lot. And they have seen it enough times to know it is not unusual. My pan was replaced under warranty, just before three years (B2B) expiration. And this is a large Corvette dealer that services many Corvettes per day.
Didn't take it that way at all. We'd really be happy with anything they decided to do. The seller has been great to work with throughout all of this, just a real stand up guy. Makes the waiting game that much easier.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays06C6
Didn't take it that way at all. We'd really be happy with anything they decided to do. The seller has been great to work with throughout all of this, just a real stand up guy. Makes the waiting game that much easier.
Excellent. I remember your 1st post asking about the purchase. Good to hear its coming to fruition. A good seller makes the transaction much more pleasant. And GM's attitude and help are to be applauded. Good luck and keep us informed
Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Pan gasket leaks are not uncommon on these cars, but typically the leak is low and just weeps a little oil on the outside of the pan, there's no dripping or loss showing on the dipstick and unless you get under the car you'd never know it was leaking. Good luck with the dealer, it would be nice if they stepped up but you'll know soon enough.

That's the first I've ever heard of a changed battery causing a smog test fail. Is the check-engine light on? "Drive cycles" are sometimes needed to clear a check engine light if the issue has resolved itself (like a gas cap not being on properly) but Corvette batteries don't need any kind of initializing other than the window re-index.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 PM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine has leaked since the car was about a year old. I decided I would just live with the leak rather than let Chevy work on it. To get the pan off, the front suspension has to be dropped down, not minor work. I think an alignment is needed after the work.

Why can't Chevy make an oil pan that doesn't leak?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Jays08Vert
Advanced

Originally Posted by v26278
That's the first I've ever heard of a changed battery causing a smog test fail. Is the check-engine light on? "Drive cycles" are sometimes needed to clear a check engine light if the issue has resolved itself (like a gas cap not being on properly) but Corvette batteries don't need any kind of initializing other than the window re-index.
It had something to do with the "readiness tests." I'd never heard of it either then did some searching and found a few people having the same problem after a dead battery, although the majority were for C5 owners.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:14 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It had something to do with the "readiness tests." I'd never heard of it either then did some searching and found a few people having the same problem after a dead battery, although the majority were for C5 owners.
That same thing happened to mine right after a battery swap. Smog guy asked if I'd recently had the battery changed or disconnected. I didn't know how he could possibly know that until he told me it had to be driven for a few on off cycles before it would pass. So, yes this is true.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
That same thing happened to mine right after a battery swap. Smog guy asked if I'd recently had the battery changed or disconnected. I didn't know how he could possibly know that until he told me it had to be driven for a few on off cycles before it would pass. So, yes this is true.
My experience exactly.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,969 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by bolivar

Why can't Chevy make an oil pan that doesn't leak?

The same reason they can't make a fuel level sensor that will work right........

Its funny but I have Duramax pickups that will go 200K or better and not have any of these type problems....the competition with Ford and Ram keeps them sourcing the toughest longest lasting parts.....now just do that with the Corvette damit.......
Old 07-02-2014, 08:33 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds like a whole lotta work you're going thru to get another Vette.There are plenty of 08's out there for sale.Look around.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose

Same here when I purchase my car they replaced the battery before I picked it up and needed an inspection. I had to run it through a couple of cycles.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Jays08Vert
Advanced

Quick update. GM agreed to replace the pan gasket minus a $195 deductible. That's pretty good service IMO. Only issue is the seller is leaving for a 2 week vacation so we gotta wait till he returns to get it fixed and complete the purchase. Very excited to soon be new vert owners!

Get notified of new replies

To Trials and Tribulations of my 2nd Vette Purchase

Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 AM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update. GM agreed to replace the pan gasket minus a $195 deductible. That's pretty good service IMO. Only issue is the seller is leaving for a 2 week vacation so we gotta wait till he returns to get it fixed and complete the purchase. Very excited to soon be new vert owners!
That's great. I paid $800 to get my pan gasket replaced. I had the car checked out when I had all the fluids changed and they found a "weeping" pan gasket. I told them to replace it. Apparently its a big job. but it's done. At least the next owner won't have to worry about that.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 AM
Vettereturned
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like I was 'lucky' (so far). Bought my 'private sale' '10 GS in about an hour off of AutoTrader. My wife & I liked the car, we each drove it a mile in a residential neighborhood. I checked the Carfax, believed the seller sales pitch and four months later we had no issues with the car.
I cannot stand spending hours at a dealership to buy, even cash sales take way to long...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That's a very nice outcome. I know my 5 year Powertrain warranty is gone now, too. For $200 and a new pan gasket that shouldn't leak for ... well, whatever length of time---that's great. Looks like the car's going to be yours in just a few weeks. Time for you to start "collecting" stuff to put in, or on the car.

Quick Reply: Trials and Tribulations of my 2nd Vette Purchase