C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005-2008 Corvette purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:37 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2005-2008 Corvette purchase

I am a new member. I may be able in the near future to purchase a 2005-2008 Corvette. I am in Arizona & can find nice cars in the 35-50K mile range. Is there anything that I should look for or avoid on these years? I am a retired Chevy tech & have wanted a Corvette since I was a young boy, its now or never
Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by gmtech1234
I am a new member. I may be able in the near future to purchase a 2005-2008 Corvette. I am in Arizona & can find nice cars in the 35-50K mile range. Is there anything that I should look for or avoid on these years? I am a retired Chevy tech & have wanted a Corvette since I was a young boy, its now or never
I would recommend buying the newest model in your budget. That being said, GM made some significant changes in 2008. Here are some of them:

1. All new LS3 6.2 430hp 424 lb-ft. torque.
2. NPP exhaust increases LS3 output to 436hp 428 lb-ft. torque.
3. Improve flowing cylinder heads, air intake, intake manifold, etc.
4. New and stronger manual transmission.
5. Interior trim enhancements.
6. MP3 jack.
7. Added Crystal red and Jetstream blue tint coat exterior colors.
8 Improved steering feel.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-02-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:45 AM
dlind4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What mike said. I have a 2008 coupe and have had it for over a year and no problems other than the roof creaks sometimes.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I would recommend buying the newest model in your budget. That being said, GM made some significant changes in 2008. Here are some of them:

1. All new LS3 6.2 430hp 424 lb-ft. torque.
2. NPP exhaust increases LS3 output to 436hp 428 lb-ft. torque.
3. Improve flowing cylinder heads, air intake, intake manifold, etc.
4. New and stronger manual transmission.
5. Interior trim enhancements.
6. MP3 jack.
7. Added Crystal red and Jetstream blue tint coat exterior colors.
8 Improved steering feel.

I agree, I bought a 2008 little over a year ago for most of those reasons.

You will LOVE the NPP exhaust

By way I love the CRM

I would look for a 3LT package with the $$ you are going to spend, that way you will have all the "goodies" and creature comforts

Mine also has the F55 ride control, to me not a big deal but to some it is great.. I hate to admit it but I can never tell a difference between which mode I have that in but it is neat
Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
I agree, I bought a 2008 little over a year ago for most of those reasons.

You will LOVE the NPP exhaust

By way I love the CRM

I would look for a 3LT package with the $$ you are going to spend, that way you will have all the "goodies" and creature comforts

Mine also has the F55 ride control, to me not a big deal but to some it is great.. I hate to admit it but I can never tell a difference between which mode I have that in but it is neat

I have had three 2008s. One Jet Stream Blue coupe, one triple black vert and a Crystal Red Metallic vert. The coupe was a 1LT and both verts were 3LT with Z51 and Nav.

As others will tell you, the 3LT package is a nice addition and I really like the Z51 package.

I bought 2008s because they have the new changes mentioned above and unless you want a grand sport there is no reason to purchase anything newer - unless you simply want the peace of mind that something newer may bring to you.

The only issue that I experienced with any of the 2008s was a weeping oil pan gasket which was replaced under warranty. That is an expensive fix if it is weeping so that would be the thing I checked closely on a purchase.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

i too. like yourself wanted a newer corvette. (my first, after 40 years being alive lol) and i was looking at low mileage C5 verts... my friend (Matt @Tune Time) talked me out of it and pushed me to the c6. but he couldn't stop there lol.. said i needed to get the LS3 AND magnetic ride! which he couldn't have been more right about on both accounts... drive one with f55 and one without on a crappy road and you be the judge..

so i went from moderate mileage 06-07's to a higher mileage (albeit well doc'd one owner clean car) '08 with every option...

I couldn't be happier.. yes it was a hard pill to swallow, spending more for a higher mileage car than a lower older C6 or even ultra low mileage C5, but after 8 months of ownership and all the research i've done.. it was the wisest choice i made purchasing a car.

the updates (even besides the LS3) done to the '08 model is huge.. and the resale of the LS3 cars is a no brainer. being lucky enough to get in on the same engine that ran through the end of C6 is great and that's just it lol...

take your time, found mine on craig's list of all places. just keep in mind that things that wear on these car (interior mostly, but the headlights as well) are easily replaced.. i replaced the steering wheel with an alcantara (and shift ****) from GM. i'm in the process today of replacing the headlight lenses and also having the windshield replaced tonight. I just like things to feel/look "new" and the rest of the car has held up awesome. NOBODY that gets in my car has any clue it has 95k on it.. their jaw drops when i tell them..

I also replaced the seat foam on the driver's side as they get flat (it's not very thick). cost me $60 from Gm and a couple hours to swap, even with the heating element.. cake. there are youtube videos on almost anything on this car that needs replacing

best of luck. don't rush. best time is winter but you''ll only pay another grand or two in peak season (unless its a vert)....

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 07-02-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

As originally stated buy the best car that fits your budget. Look for the lowest mileage with the options you want in your price range and the color if that is a requirement. I think if I was looking for a C6 in the year range you are looking at I would drop the 2005 and not because it was the first model year and it may have had problems. Any problem due to be a first year car is taken care of by now. The reason I say to drop that year, is the transmission (if you are looking at a n auto) is just a 4-speed. Starting in '06 they went to the A6 with the paddle shifter.

When I made the move from my C5 I was positive that wheat ever I bought would have the LS3. Well I now own a 2007 with an LS2. Of all the cars I looked at and they were '08 & '09's, they did not compare to the '07. It only had 11K miles, it was in Monterey Red Metallic (tint coat), A6, American long tubes, hi-flow cats the rear wide body conversion and Z06 black chrome wheels. So with the hearders and cats, I figured I was close to the 430 hp of the LS3.

Here is a link that shows the changes for 2006-2008, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1563694469-post5.html

Good luck
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

If you are a retired GM tech you may find a high mileage newer car to be your best deal.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 AM
livette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2008 JSB coupe with a 6 speed manual, Z51, NPP...etc.. I bought it as a CPO.. under warranty i had the oil pan gasket replaced and the clutch master cylinder..
The head unit on the climate control has been wacky for 2 years but I will wait until it breaks to replace it. Also on my third battery. All that being said, I still love the car..
Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by simplegto
If you are a retired GM tech you may find a high mileage newer car to be your best deal.
As you can see, you're getting a lot of us '08ers responding. I waited to buy new after hearing of the changes from '07 to '08. But the above comment does make a lot of sense.

However, it does sound as if you're not all that knowledgeable about Corvettes so some of the advice above is quite relevant to you. I'd also suggest a little research on your part as to what makes the Corvette different from most/all other Chev. products as well as what are the foibles and replacements needed on them. It's really just about all right here on CF whether in the stickies above C6 Gen main page, or in C6 Tech or Gen. Just do searches on every thread that interests you.

If you know generally how to look at a used car and have the (obvious) mechanical skills to repair one, simple's post above does make the most sense and will probably save you the most money. That said, I still agree with the posters above who recommend an '08 because it has the most amount of cumulative changes from '05.

That doesn't in any way take away from all the model years prior to '08, and if an '05 is pristine per your inspection w. 50K miles on it for say, $20K and a loaded '08 with 10K miles on it is selling for $30K, you, with your skills may be better off keeping the $10K difference and buying the '05. Keep it for awhile, drive it, fix it, mod it.

That is, at least for YOUR FIRST CORVETTE..... (but not your last I would guess....)
Old 07-02-2014, 11:52 AM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PM sent
Old 07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Like most people you've probably got a limit on how much you want to spend. '08's are better cars, but all else equal - mileage, options -will cost you a little more. Another way to look at it , for a given dollar amount you should be able to get a nicer example of an '07 than an '08. The improvements for '08 are a definite plus but they are incremental, not earth shattering. I would definitely look first for an '08, but if you're not finding one that ticks all the boxes you're finding an '07 that does, go for it. I did and have no regrets, my '07 has been my daily driver for three years.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:27 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Thanks for all the info. I worked on Corvetes some but we sold a lot of trucks & that is what I saw mostly.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I'm loving my 2006 convertible with Z51. I would recommend driving some with the various suspensions, and also a 2008 model and an earlier model. You can decide if the 2008 is worth the extra money. I think I would rather have a 2006 garage queen with low miles compared to a 2008 with high miles. Everything just depends on your budget and preferences.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:12 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I'm loving my 2006 convertible with Z51. I would recommend driving some with the various suspensions, and also a 2008 model and an earlier model. You can decide if the 2008 is worth the extra money. I think I would rather have a 2006 garage queen with low miles compared to a 2008 with high miles. Everything just depends on your budget and preferences.
agreed - I recently picked up a 21K mile 2006 fully loaded Z51 coupe, and I could have found a 50-60K mile 2008 for the same price, but I decided to go for the two owner garage queen in the right color and options that I wanted, which just barely fit into my budget as it was.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:43 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have owned around 25 vettes and I suggest go with the one that has the colors and options you want and most important buy from the original owner that can supply you with a complete verifiable service record. Condition and miles are far more important than the year. I have had very good luck finding very low mile original owner cars here in Arizona on Craigslist at very fair prices.

I have driven all versions of suspension packages both pre 2008 and 2008+ and found the differences were nearly imperceptible. The biggest differences I found in drivability were related to either the F55 or the Z51 packages and would suggest finding one with one of those two options. The difference between a 2007 and a 2008 is 2/5 of a second to 60 which on the street means nothing and unless you are a human stop watch is a non factor.

I picked this Z51 3LT convert up within 10 miles of my home with every option from the original owner and still under factory warranty with 2,751 miles on it for Edmunds.com trade in value. My choice was based on the quality of the car and far less on the year.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 PM
mar10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you in Arizona? I'm in the tucson area. I few months back I bought an 05 base model manual transmission for what I felt was a good price at a dealer, 4k under kbb value. I love the car I just wish the upgrades were cheaper but you gotta pay to play.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005-2008 Corvette purchase

Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

If you're patient and expand your search radius, you can find a lower mileage car for less money during the winter months. I realize it can be difficult to put off the purchase when the weather is gorgeous, but wintertime is prime buying season.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:42 AM
C6smackdown
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't buy an 05. Too many quirks/issues. 06+ is perfectly fine. If you can swing an 08 great. It had quite a few upgrades over the previous years. If you can't, grab an 06-07.
Originally Posted by gmtech1234
Old 07-03-2014, 02:13 PM
gmtech1234
Racer

Originally Posted by RJRSW
I have owned around 25 vettes and I suggest go with the one that has the colors and options you want and most important buy from the original owner that can supply you with a complete verifiable service record. Condition and miles are far more important than the year. I have had very good luck finding very low mile original owner cars here in Arizona on Craigslist at very fair prices.

I have driven all versions of suspension packages both pre 2008 and 2008+ and found the differences were nearly imperceptible. The biggest differences I found in drivability were related to either the F55 or the Z51 packages and would suggest finding one with one of those two options. The difference between a 2007 and a 2008 is 2/5 of a second to 60 which on the street means nothing and unless you are a human stop watch is a non factor.

I picked this Z51 3LT convert up within 10 miles of my home with every option from the original owner and still under factory warranty with 2,751 miles on it for Edmunds.com trade in value. My choice was based on the quality of the car and far less on the year.

I'm in the Phoenix area, I love the dark blue on your car. The burgandy (maroon) is also on my list. I have been searching adds on line & nice cars are available.

Quick Reply: 2005-2008 Corvette purchase