C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:08 PM
mcalomeris
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Fuel Pump

I have an '07 with 40,000 miles. My fuel gauge kept reading low fuel and service fuel system. I took it in and I am being told that the pump for the drivers side is on back order from GM until August. My thoughts are if GM is out of stock on that pump then there have been thousands of other owners that have had the same problem and there should have been a recall on the pump or the fuel system itself. Anybody else with the same fuel pump issue????
Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

See if it set a DTC. Probably not the pump if it still runs. More likely a fuel sending unit. And more likely the passenger sender that doesnt stay immersed in gas so sulphur deposits cause the contact to stop sending a signal to the guage.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,968 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

.........I'm sure its the sending unit if it is not stalling on you or won't run. Like C6togo says its no doubt the sending unit on the passenger side. I have 34K on my 10 GS and if I fill it to the top the gauge will stop working until I burn off a gallon or two......now its doing it as I get to half a tank......waiting until the off season to tear into it.

Don't go back to that dealer again I'm thinking.......
Old 06-27-2014, 06:52 PM
mcalomeris
Cruising

Default C6 Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by Huskerman
.........I'm sure its the sending unit if it is not stalling on you or won't run. Like C6togo says its no doubt the sending unit on the passenger side. I have 34K on my 10 GS and if I fill it to the top the gauge will stop working until I burn off a gallon or two......now its doing it as I get to half a tank......waiting until the off season to tear into it.

Don't go back to that dealer again I'm thinking.......
You are probably correct, however from what I know you have to tear into the tank to get to it and you have to replace the entire unit as it is all in one. They have had it for 3 weeks and are now waiting on an aftermarket model that uses the same OEM motor.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

The expedient solution, as far as I know, requires the exhaust system to be dropped and also the rear suspension..differential??, etc .There been some posters that claim to be able to replace the fuel pump without dropping the fuel tank.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by mcalomeris
You are probably correct, however from what I know you have to tear into the tank to get to it and you have to replace the entire unit as it is all in one. They have had it for 3 weeks and are now waiting on an aftermarket model that uses the same OEM motor.
The fuel level sender is a separate part that may be purchased separately. There is one in each tank. If your car drives fine but the gauge doesn't work, you don't need a new pump - though you might elect to install one while you're in there.
Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
The expedient solution, as far as I know, requires the exhaust system to be dropped and also the rear suspension..differential??, etc .There been some posters that claim to be able to replace the fuel pump without dropping the fuel tank.
There's no way to change the pump without dropping the tank. On cars with automatic transmissions, the torque converter is allegedly in the way but some people say it really isn't - could that be what you were thinking of? I don't have an opinion because I've never done this job on an auto.

On cars with manual transmissions, one definitely doesn't have to touch the exhaust/gearbox/differential to drop the tanks. Once you remove the metal shields and the crossover plumbing, the tanks come straight down.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I have an '07 with 40,000 miles. My fuel gauge kept reading low fuel and service fuel system. I took it in and I am being told that the pump for the drivers side is on back order from GM until August. My thoughts are if GM is out of stock on that pump then there have been thousands of other owners that have had the same problem and there should have been a recall on the pump or the fuel system itself. Anybody else with the same fuel pump issue????

Hey there,

I apologize for the difficulties that you are experiencing with your fuel pump. I will like to look further into your concern. Feel free to send us a private message referencing this thread if any extra help is needed.

Kristen A. (Assisting)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-09-2014, 03:27 AM
McKenna
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem on my C6, but it is not a fuel pump problem. I had my Dealer replace a Solenoid, Part No. 013575703 that attaches to the right exterior of the fuel tank and the problem was corrected.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:13 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^ That's very interesting info, McKenna. I don't think I've seen anyone else refer to this sending unit as needing replacement before.

So, relatively-speaking, it was an inexpensive fix/repair?

If you can get to the car, you may also want to look at this thread fr. 2013: see post 12 by "Sevinn" and a couple others of his further down the page. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...not-start.html

May want to see this post, too, from same thread further down. #13

Last edited by AORoads; 07-09-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The fuel pump has nothing to do with the fuel gauge. There is one electric fuel pump in the left tank. There are two fuel level sensors, one in each tank. It is very common to have issues with the fuel level sensors if you buy cheap gas. This is why GM and other car makes created the Top Tier standard and recommend it in the owner's manual. A dirty sensor can often be cleaned with a bottle of Techron. It is very UNCOMMON to have a failed fuel pump unless you routinely run well below empty before refueling.

There are two solenoid valves used in determining fuel system vapor leaks. A vapor leak will give check engine light and the "Service Fuel System" message but neither has anything to do with the fuel gauge.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM
mcalomeris
Cruising

Default Fuel Pump Issues

Well he still has the car and has not figured it out!! Now he installed brand new OEM tire sensors and had them programmed but they are reading 1 pound of pressure per tire!!! I am wondering if there is and electrical issue causing both gauge problems????

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
The fuel pump has nothing to do with the fuel gauge. There is one electric fuel pump in the left tank. There are two fuel level sensors, one in each tank. It is very common to have issues with the fuel level sensors if you buy cheap gas. This is why GM and other car makes created the Top Tier standard and recommend it in the owner's manual. A dirty sensor can often be cleaned with a bottle of Techron. It is very UNCOMMON to have a failed fuel pump unless you routinely run well below empty before refueling.

There are two solenoid valves used in determining fuel system vapor leaks. A vapor leak will give check engine light and the "Service Fuel System" message but neither has anything to do with the fuel gauge.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

If you are having a fuel gage problem you could try running can of Techron through. There have been posts that indicated the problem was solved with a couple of tanks run through, then occasional maintenance.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 PM
mcalomeris
Cruising

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
If you are having a fuel gage problem you could try running can of Techron through. There have been posts that indicated the problem was solved with a couple of tanks run through, then occasional maintenance.

I just got off the phone with Sunset Chevy in Sarasota, and they are telling me that the right side pump needs to be replaced and the left side "might" need to be replaced AGAIN, and the transfer pump might need to be replaced. This tells me they have no idea what is really wrong with my car. This could be another $4,000 on top of the $1,700 I have already spent to fix a fuel gauge issue!!! Then they tell me that the Nitto Tires are possibly the reason the tire sensor don't program. I explained that my friend put on the same tires at the same time and they worked perfectly. After hearing that he says well then it must be the remote receiver that is not working. That will be $200 for the part and $275 for labor!. Then I said that we are looking at over $3,000 for solve these issues and he said "at least that much."

This is a 2007 with 40,000 miles on it. There is no way that it should cost $5,000 to $6,000 to fix a fuel gauge and tire sensor problem.

If this is how GM and Corvette handles their customers and I am appalled, and more than likely would never own one again.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Take the car to Discount Tire for the tpms. Run some Techron through the tank.

Dealer sounds clueless. I had my pump changed under warranty for a cracked evap line. Would have cost $2500.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM
CFIVEM3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayback
Take the car to Discount Tire for the tpms. Run some Techron through the tank.

Dealer sounds clueless. I had my pump changed under warranty for a cracked evap line. Would have cost $2500.
Totally agree. My '08 had the fuel gauge issue a couple years ago. Ran two bottles of Techron through and quit using less than premium fuel. Problem never returned.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM
mcalomeris
Cruising

Originally Posted by CFIVEM3
Totally agree. My '08 had the fuel gauge issue a couple years ago. Ran two bottles of Techron through and quit using less than premium fuel. Problem never returned.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Dealer is clueless. I will try the Techron. I always use 93 octane, never anything less!!!

Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 02:13 PM
etaylor14
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

You need to find another dealer pronto. They have NO idea what they are doing!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Fuel Pump

Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM
mcalomeris
Cruising

Originally Posted by etaylor14
You need to find another dealer pronto. They have NO idea what they are doing!!!!!
I called Stringray Chevy in Clearwater which is about an hour away. They sell and service more vettes than anyone in the area. Waiting on a call back from them to see if they have ever run across anything like this before.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 PM
mcalomeris
Cruising

Originally Posted by etaylor14
I called Stringray Chevy in Clearwater which is about an hour away. They sell and service more vettes than anyone in the area. Waiting on a call back from them to see if they have ever run across anything like this before.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,968 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Is your car all tore apart? Even if it is get in there and tell them to button it up you are taking it home.....and not going to pay them squat for screwing you around like they have. In all of this I have seen not one mention of what code the car is throwing....did they tell you what code or codes it was displaying?

Here watch this.....it may clarify some things for you......or not.....get your car away from those people.....holy crap....

Quick Reply: C6 Fuel Pump