C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Beeps when leaving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Default 3 Beeps when leaving?

So every once in a while, maybe 1 out of ten times that I exit my '07, I'll get the three beeps despite the fact that I have the key in my pocket. I usually will go back and cycle through accessory mode and then back to off just to make sure I don't kill the battery or anything, walk away, and get the normal one beep.

What's causing the three beeps?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:16 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I get that too, can't remember y either
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I get that also. I make sure the FOB is in my pocket and close the door.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM
duplantisjj
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something to do with the system reminding you that you left the key in the car after closing the door. Might sound weird but mine did the same thing when I first got it. I read a lot of posts on the CF and learned about right pants pocket versus left pocket. Not sure why or how but since I've been putting the FOB in my left pocket, I haven't heard the beeps hardly at all. Yeah, I know sounds weird but seems to work.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:32 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like the c6 thinks the fob is still in the car.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

That's what I was assuming it thought. Wasn't sure if there were any other circumstances where it gave the three beeps. The FOB literally never leaves my pocket from the time I put pants on to the time I take them off, so I'm definitely not leaving it behind! Didn't find anything on the right vs. left when I was searching, duplantisjj, that's interesting. I'd feel off balance if I switched up where I kept my keys though!

Does anyone know if ignoring it and walking away will risk me coming out to a dead battery?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Car thinks the fob was left inside.

This happens sometimes if the fob is too close to the car when you close the door.

I keep my fob in my left front pocket and if I close the door (Auto Lock is turned on) and turn to walk to the back of the car and I'm almost rubbing against the side, I get the Fob Reminder warning, 3 honks.

At that point I just lock the car using the fob's button.

Next time you unlock/open the door the car will ding-ding-ding-ding-etc. until you start the car.

Battery drain doesn't happen as a result of any of this.

The RF antenna coverage does not have a perfectly defined coverage pattern, so sometimes the fob is still within range even though you're outside the car.

Just a very minor inconvenience IMHO.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:00 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
That's the statement I needed! As long as it is actually locking and I'm not killing my battery, it's just a minor inconvenience, indeed!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Granitehead53
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It happens to me when my wife is with me and I exit before she gets out. She has the second FOB on her key ring
Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Granitehead53
It happens to me when my wife is with me and I exit before she gets out. She has the second FOB on her key ring
I need to get a battery put in my spare before I can do that! It's on my short list!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM
LPT2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's the passive lock system ...

I wouldn't know as that was turned off the first time I went to get something out of the car in the garage and the fob was in the house No passive lock for me, thank you.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Mine doesn't do the 3 honks while walking away. But, if I take a bit longer before getting in the car, I will get the FOB reminder beeping.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

This happens sometimes if the fob is too close to the car when you close the door.

I keep my fob in my left front pocket and if I close the door (Auto Lock is turned on) and turn to walk to the back of the car and I'm almost rubbing against the side, I get the Fob Reminder warning, 3 honks.

Next time you unlock/open the door the car will ding-ding-ding-ding-etc. until you start the car.

The RF antenna coverage does not have a perfectly defined coverage pattern, so sometimes the fob is still within range even though you're outside the car.

in my experience, it happens when you stay too close and forward near the driver side mirror after you close the door.
If I stay towards the back wheel, gas filler door area while closing the door, it's not a problem
Old 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The antenna that is searching for the fob inside the car is the one mounted in the glove box, next to the slot.

It has to cover the front interior of the car and has some "spillage" (can't think of a better term) outside.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,191 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Every one of these cars has it's own range at which it will sense the fob and think it's inside or out. Some will sense the fob if it outside within a few feet (my '09), some will not sense a fob if it is still inside in certain places (my '05). This sensitivity can also vary with how new either the fob or car battery is, if it's next to your phone, in your left or right pocket etc…

It might be a good idea to experiment to find out where the car will and will not sense the fob.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:55 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

This can happen when the car is parked in a confined spot where you must close the door before being able to fit between the car and the wall. If you are very close to the door area when you close the door, the car is fooled into thinking that the fob is inside. The battery will not drain but it might be good for you to wait a couple of minutes when this happens, put the fob down away from the car and then walk back and check to make sure the car is locked...if you want it locked at that point.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:04 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cclive
If you are very close to the door area when you close the door, the car is fooled into thinking that the fob is inside.
I might start closing the door from further away rather than right behind me as I get out.

Get notified of new replies

To 3 Beeps when leaving?

Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
VetteNGT500
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the owners manual is your friend.......
Old 06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by LbulletM
I might start closing the door from further away rather than right behind me as I get out.
Give it a try...I'll bet you don't get the beeps. Stand back and close the door at arms length.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:02 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteNGT500
the owners manual is your friend.......
I don't get your response....

Quick Reply: 3 Beeps when leaving?