C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another FOB Anomaly!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 AM
JHester79
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another FOB Anomaly!

Okay, so I'm a new member to the forum, but have used it to troubleshoot many of the problems that have have presented themselves over my years as a Vette owner. A lot of very useful info and knowledgeable folks on here, so I need to reach out for some guidance on an issue that has me baffled. I've searched for similar situations like mine, but have not found any to date.

I have a 2005 C6 Coupe, and have fell victim to the ole "FOB Not Detected" curse. However, after reading over string after string of messages, I have yet to find someone with the same problem I am experiencing. The problem is as follows:

I have both FOB's (#1&2). Both worked fine everyday until one morning at which I went to enter my car, and neither would let me in. LED on the door panel top, staying lit as I tried to depress the handle pad (as if I had forgotten my keys). No response from the trunk, door or panic buttons on the FOB. So, assuming the batteries (in both FOB's had died overnight) were dead, I entered through the trunk using my key and the door latch safety cable. Of course, as soon as I unlatched the trunk, the alarm went off. As I entered the drivers seat, I attempted to start the car with FOB in hand. Unfortunately no such luck, as the DIC displayed "FOB Not Detected" (again assuming that both batteries in each FOB had died overnight). So I opened the glove box and slid my FOB in its slot, buttons facing the passenger side, and depressed the Start Button. The alarm disarmed and the engine started. As the car started, the DIC displayed "Driver 1" as it should. I immediately went an bought 2 brand new batteries for each FOB, installed them insuring that all the prongs were making proper contact with the battery and contact surfaces. Attempted to re-enter my car, and it was an instant replay from the morning before. Entering through the trunk with key, alarm blaring at 4am in the morning until at which I can make it to the glove box. No communication between the FOB and the car , unless it was placed in its slot in the glove box.
I understand this is typical when the FOB batteries die, but not with programmed FOB's using brand new batteries. I have reviewed the reprogram procedure, but didn't feel it nessecary being the RCDLR acknowledges the FOB's when slid into the glove box FOB slot. I've read that low car battery voltage can weaken the signal from the RCDLR, but the car turns over fine and battery is fully charged. I have also read of faulty RCDLR's. If the RCDLR is wired to the glove box FOB slot, and it acknowledges the "Driver 1" FOB went slid in, could it still be faulty? Could it be the RCDLR Antenna's? Are the antennas wired to the RCDLR through one common connection, which may have come loose?

I've addressed all other issues with my Vette without the help of local dealer support, but this has me stumped. Being the first year C6, I have had my share of recalls, things that should have been recalled and others that just blew my mind.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JHester79
Okay, so I'm a new member to the forum, but have used it to troubleshoot many of the problems that have have presented themselves over my years as a Vette owner. A lot of very useful info and knowledgeable folks on here, so I need to reach out for some guidance on an issue that has me baffled. I've searched for similar situations like mine, but have not found any to date.

I have a 2005 C6 Coupe, and have fell victim to the ole "FOB Not Detected" curse. However, after reading over string after string of messages, I have yet to find someone with the same problem I am experiencing. The problem is as follows:

I have both FOB's (#1&2). Both worked fine everyday until one morning at which I went to enter my car, and neither would let me in. LED on the door panel top, staying lit as I tried to depress the handle pad (as if I had forgotten my keys). No response from the trunk, door or panic buttons on the FOB. So, assuming the batteries (in both FOB's had died overnight) were dead, I entered through the trunk using my key and the door latch safety cable. Of course, as soon as I unlatched the trunk, the alarm went off. As I entered the drivers seat, I attempted to start the car with FOB in hand. Unfortunately no such luck, as the DIC displayed "FOB Not Detected" (again assuming that both batteries in each FOB had died overnight). So I opened the glove box and slid my FOB in its slot, buttons facing the passenger side, and depressed the Start Button. The alarm disarmed and the engine started. As the car started, the DIC displayed "Driver 1" as it should. I immediately went an bought 2 brand new batteries for each FOB, installed them insuring that all the prongs were making proper contact with the battery and contact surfaces. Attempted to re-enter my car, and it was an instant replay from the morning before. Entering through the trunk with key, alarm blaring at 4am in the morning until at which I can make it to the glove box. No communication between the FOB and the car , unless it was placed in its slot in the glove box.
I understand this is typical when the FOB batteries die, but not with programmed FOB's using brand new batteries. I have reviewed the reprogram procedure, but didn't feel it nessecary being the RCDLR acknowledges the FOB's when slid into the glove box FOB slot. I've read that low car battery voltage can weaken the signal from the RCDLR, but the car turns over fine and battery is fully charged. I have also read of faulty RCDLR's. If the RCDLR is wired to the glove box FOB slot, and it acknowledges the "Driver 1" FOB went slid in, could it still be faulty? Could it be the RCDLR Antenna's? Are the antennas wired to the RCDLR through one common connection, which may have come loose?

I've addressed all other issues with my Vette without the help of local dealer support, but this has me stumped. Being the first year C6, I have had my share of recalls, things that should have been recalled and others that just blew my mind.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Did you try to open the passenger door? If that works, it would appear that the antenna in the B pillar on the driver's side is where the problem is originating.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:26 AM
JHester79
3rd Gear

Tried unlocking/opening doors and opening the trunk from both sides using both FOB's, but no luck.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 AM
JHester79
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JHester79
Tried unlocking/opening doors and opening the trunk from both sides using both FOB's, but no luck.
I also might add that I have made sure I had no phone anywhere near me. Nothing plugged inside my car at all, as well.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:44 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Appears that you're doing everything right. Kudos for interpreting the Forum info correctly. Car is behaving as if you have dead fob batteries.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery to re-set the computer?

Did you buy Ray-O-Vac fob batteries that have a cross-hatch pattern on them? Fobs don't like them. No offense, are you sure that batteries are in the fobs 'right side up'?

Is this happening everywhere or just at home? RF interference, perhaps?

You don't have to re-program the fob(s) as the car is recognizing them once you're in and the fob's in the slot.

The RCDLR is in the dash near the 2 HVAC vents. It has the only receive antenna in the car. If it's reception has been compromised and the fob must be nearby (like in the glove box slot), that could affect the operation with the fob outside the car.

This is largely speculation, as it seems you're doing everything correctly.

I'd still have the battery checked, got to start somewhere And then see if there are any codes thrown to the OBDII port. It wouldn't be the first time a RCDLR needed to be replaced or worse yet, the BCM.

Good Luck, let us know how this puzzler turns out.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 06-25-2014 at 12:48 AM. Reason: just saw your post about 'no phone'

Get notified of new replies

To Another FOB Anomaly!

Quick Reply: Another FOB Anomaly!