C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the dos and don'ts of using paddle shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 10:28 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I never noticed that when looking at the Automatics. The left side is up and the right side is downshift by default?

Last two cars I owned had paddle shifters and right was up on both. I'm glad I didn't get my heart set on an automatic. That would have been very frustrating to adapt to.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the paddles all the time. I like to control the engine rpm and not let it lug. Didn't think I would like the Vette paddle format having come from the standard left is down right is up format, but got used to it pretty quickly. As stated before it won't let you do something really stupid like downshifting too far at high speed.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM
tomtoro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the info, LV2! This works like my sho and I like it a lot better than corvette's. Kinda hard switching back and forth between cars. I was upshifting today when I thought I was downshifting. I looked like an idiot, lol!

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
The right paddle was changed so the finger portion upshifts when you pull towards you.
Of course, the Left paddle finger portion downshifts when pulled towards you.
It's quite easy to change the wiring for the right paddle to do this mod.
Dan Bratten initially did this, and his instructions have been used many times.
I made it into a PDF, and have added it to this post.
I also changed the + - for the thumb potion to u/down arrows.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
If you (in my '07 anyway) come to a stop without downshifting, it will start out showing it is in 2nd gear. Somebody addressed this in another thread somewhere but I don't recall if they said it was really in 2nd or just shows it that way.
Yes, it is in 2nd gear. When in paddle mode even, if you forget to downshift, the trans will go into 2nd at a stop. GM does this as 2nd is good from 0-80 mph and this protect the A6 trans. If you want to start in 1st you need to click to downshift.

The right paddle was changed so the finger portion upshifts when you pull towards you.
Of course, the Left paddle finger portion downshifts when pulled towards you.
It's quite easy to change the wiring for the right paddle to do this mod.
Dan Bratten initially did this, and his instructions have been used many times.
I made it into a PDF, and have added it to this post.
I also changed the + - for the thumb potion to u/down arrows.
I incorporated LV2TOUR's button images into my writeup some time ago it any of you wish to add them to the thumb paddle -- Paddle Shift Mod.

--Dan

Last edited by dbratten; 06-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
Yes, it is in 2nd gear. When in paddle mode even, if you forget to downshift, the trans will go into 2nd at a stop. GM does this as 2nd is good from 0-80 mph and this protect the A6 trans. If you want to start in 1st you need to click to downshift.
--Dan
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Since I switched my paddles to replicate F1 shifter mode, I have used the paddles 95% of the time.
As most have mentioned, pretty hard to hurt anything as the rev limiter will prevent over revving.
Was wondering why GM had such a bogus set-up for the paddles. Our Acura has the "F-1" style paddles and is much superior my vette. Can't say how many times I've pulled the right hand paddle thinking its gonna up shift and then "Hello" rev limiter. To be frank....I consider the paddles more of a novelty. Fun to play with and talk about with the kids, but they don't make the tranny hit any harder than if the shifter was in the floor. Just how hard is it to change to the "F-1" style.....and have they come up with a way to make it shift quicker at lower RPM's yet ??
Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Bat66
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I brought my 07 used and my paddles are set up so that both right and left top paddles up shift and both bottom paddles downshift and I like it like that, no confusion.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Was wondering why GM had such a bogus set-up for the paddles. Our Acura has the "F-1" style paddles and is much superior my vette. Can't say how many times I've pulled the right hand paddle thinking its gonna up shift and then "Hello" rev limiter. To be frank....I consider the paddles more of a novelty. Fun to play with and talk about with the kids, but they don't make the tranny hit any harder than if the shifter was in the floor. Just how hard is it to change to the "F-1" style.....and have they come up with a way to make it shift quicker at lower RPM's yet ??
Follow DBratten's instructions, and it's a piece of cake to change. If you want quicker shifts, you have to get a trans tune.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Follow DBratten's instructions, and it's a piece of cake to change. If you want quicker shifts, you have to get a trans tune.
Thanks LV. While your probably correct about the trans tune helping shifts. If mine hit as hard during a normal shift as it does with a high RPM shift I would be satisfied, but I'm thinking along the lines of the type of shifts you can probably only get with these new style dual clutch autos. If one does trick out their regular auto to shift quicker and harder, it usually plays havoc with the everyday driveability.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurmudjon
Do you let up on the gas momentarily when shifting to a higher gear as one does with a manual shift?
No.... Because its always in gear.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Shaummy
Advanced

Originally Posted by FlyerVette
No.... Because its always in gear.
My buddy and I have always had a disagreement on this... I just run through the paddles/shifts without lifting...he says that it's "easier" on the transmission if you do?

Is there anything bad that happens if he continues to do it?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:58 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaummy
My buddy and I have always had a disagreement on this... I just run through the paddles/shifts without lifting...he says that it's "easier" on the transmission if you do?

Is there anything bad that happens if he continues to do it?
Nothing that I'm aware of.

Back in the day (60s-70s) when we had autos, they were usually selectable 1, 2 and D, or something similar depending on the make. If you put it in 1, it would stay in low gear, same for 2.

If we were racing somebody we would always shift them manually because we could force the shift point to go higher than if we left it in D.

Nothing has changed except now we use paddles instead of using the stick.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Nothing has changed except now we use paddles instead of using the stick.

Or push buttons.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:56 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Kraz8s
It is really hard to hurt the A6 with the paddles. Main thing is to watch your trans temps. Don't go WOT until around 170 to 180 from my experience.
Glad you mentioned this.

I'd been waiting until the oil temp was >150 before going WOT. Now I'll be checking to see if the transmission temp gets to 170-180 before the oil temp gets to 150.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 PM
OKGS
Cruising

Default Chuck Cow Tune

Get Chuck Cow to do his thing with your car and you will find yourself using them all the time. Chuck just did the Cow Booster, Stat, tune and Trans tune in Norman, Ok for me today and is as docile as stock when you want it to be or a beast when you push the go pedal.

First time driving after the tune today I took off in first accelerating hard and shifted into second and the rear went way sideways. Caught me off guard at first but then I ended up doing about five more times on the way home.

Really hard to put in words how much more fun these cars are when Chuck gets done with them.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:11 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Don't forget it is in manual mode when you are under full throttle. It doesn't take long to hit the red line from a start. Also don't forget that it automatically shifts down but only to 2nd. The good news is that you'll be able to do about 70 without shifting if you forget.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:03 AM
amallano
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruze
If you (in my '07 anyway) come to a stop without downshifting, it will start out showing it is in 2nd gear. Somebody addressed this in another thread somewhere but I don't recall if they said it was really in 2nd or just shows it that way.

Also: I have noticed that when just lazing along in "S", up-shifting more or less like it would by itself in "D" with light throttle, sometimes it will shift up an extra gear without bumping the paddle.

Comments?
S Mode will downshift to 2nd only...unless you get a tune to change it to go to 1st!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here's an older thread discussing the difference between S and D mode, and how the A6 trans 'learns' in D.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...s-come-in.html
Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,667 Posts

in "S" mode, it will downshift to 2nd when using paddles automatically on RPM reduction.
You can shift into first when you stop or almost come to a stop "without" needing a trans tune.

Quick Reply: What are the dos and don'ts of using paddle shifter?