C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer service nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 03:09 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
The crack threads where stripped due to the tech trying to use the HB bolt itself to draw the HB on to the crank, and not using a HB installer instead.

A HB installer fully threads into all the crack threads first, then the HB is drawn onto the crack via threads/bolt in front of the HB instead.

Harmonic Balancer Installer Tool Instructions - How to ToolCast from BoxWrench - YouTube

The tech screwed up, and they need to replace the crank at their cost. If not, then take them to court and get a 3x settlement of not only the cost, but the legal fees as well.
Wow that job looks like a major pain in the ***, particularly with engine still inside the car. Thanks for posting so I got to know wtf everybody was talking about
Old 06-15-2014, 03:14 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by glenB
Of course, most people are ready to lay blame on others.

If the tech did it by the book how could he be at fault, he doesn't own the car?

If you hired a lawn service and as they were cutting the grass the mower spit out a rock and busted a window, who's at fault?
Lawn service. I don't know **** about engines really, but my gut would be to want everything replaced to stock, not to have a repair done... and they should foot the bill.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:13 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the basis for most of the confusion between the OP and the dealer (maybe some of this threads respondents as well), is the cost of the repair.

What would be the answers/statements if the OP took his car to the dealer for an oil change and the technician stripped the threads of the PAN BOLT ( pan threads, not involved). Should the dealer pay for the bolt or the vehicle owner.

My position....the dealer. His mistake his cost. Which, likely, the dealer would agree to because of the minimal cost.

OP situation is the same, except for the cost (and seriousness) of the repair. Dealer admitted their employees mistake, their pocket.

Interesting scenario. Waiting to find out the resolution.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 PM
b0xm0ns73r
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastMover
Hey Guys
Nothing from the dealer yet I expect that will happen Monday.
I cannot tell you'll how much I appreciate your support, ideas
and tech info. I have learned a lot and understand what happened
much better.Dano523 I really appreciate the video as they say a pix is worth a 1000
words. I have NOT named the dealer yet to give them a chance to do the right thing. Remember the only one I have talked with so far was the shop foreman who was clearly trying to cover his a$$ and in the process
IMHO admitted what he did.
Who knows the dealer may surprise us all and do the right thing only time will tell. I will update you'll as soon as I know something and thanks again for your support.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope the dealer steps up and your blood pressure remains low.....
Old 06-15-2014, 04:28 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Burken01
It could be an honest mistake, many people use the crank bolt to draw the harmonic balancer on... Many do it successfully, some fail..

Only a small handful of people use a threaded rod install tool like your supposed to!

I'm betting they didn't use the tool.

Probably tried to pull it on with the bolt

Old 06-15-2014, 06:07 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by slickstick
Lawn service. I don't know **** about engines really, but my gut would be to want everything replaced to stock, not to have a repair done... and they should foot the bill.
The dealer's only obligation is to make the owner whole again. If a repair does that they're not liable for replacing anything else.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Bruze
Having been a toolmaker all my life, it seems a good automotive machine shop might have some way of drilling the hole somewhat deeper (depending on the crank) and tapping new threads beyond the existing ones. Hopefully they can do this with the engine still in the car but I have no clue on that. Or maybe a helicoil if they can't go any deeper.

At worst, they might have to pull the engine but hopefully they could do it without taking it apart, maybe with an electric drill with a magnetic base and fixturing a plate on the front of the engine for the drill to sit on.
Hi Bruze,those magbase drills are very large ,probable just as easy to yank out motor,take it to a machine shop,: set it up an blocks and drill retap w/cnc machine.(if specs allow ) jmop
Old 06-15-2014, 11:56 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default aluminium

Originally Posted by wlean99
Hi Bruze,those magbase drills are very large ,probable just as easy to yank out motor,take it to a machine shop,: set it up an blocks and drill retap w/cnc machine.(if specs allow ) jmop
a mag drill will not stick to an aluminium engine block and is to large to use in the engine bay. the tech screwed up by not using the proper tool for the job "balancer installation tool" . the dealer is 100% responsible for the cost of the job. I've mentioned it on here before"dont be using butcher tools or expect the same results on your jobs"
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Boilerman
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Back in Oregon there are several shops (one I headed up the field machining division for) that do field machine work that can do the repair correctly and there is a company in Oregon that makes special machine tools for doing field machining.

I feel this repair can be accomplished correctly with the motor in the car if the proper tools/equipment are used, however it will not be a cheap fix no mater how the repair is made if it requires drilling and tapping of new threads in the end of the crank shaft.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

Yes I agree,dealer is totally responsible .And I know a magnetic drill does not stick to aluminum. Spent some years in manufacturing myself.Everyone here has a valid point.Now, any lawyers or retired lawyers that can give this poor guy some advice?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:25 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by RnLi
I think the basis for most of the confusion between the OP and the dealer (maybe some of this threads respondents as well), is the cost of the repair.

What would be the answers/statements if the OP took his car to the dealer for an oil change and the technician stripped the threads of the PAN BOLT ( pan threads, not involved). Should the dealer pay for the bolt or the vehicle owner.

My position....the dealer. His mistake his cost. Which, likely, the dealer would agree to because of the minimal cost.

OP situation is the same, except for the cost (and seriousness) of the repair. Dealer admitted their employees mistake, their pocket.

Interesting scenario. Waiting to find out the resolution.
I think in the situation of the oil drain plug then yes, the shop has a responsibility to make the repair, there is a direct correlation to the striped threads. You have to reinstall the drain plug and there is only one way.

With the crank, there are two ways to skin this cat, the right way with a puller, or the wrong way by drawing the balancer down with the bolt. The problem we have here is that everyone is making assumptions and blaming the dealer without all the facts.

If the tech screwed up, then the dealer pays, if the tech did the job properly, then the dealer isn't responsible. This isn't to say that the dealer can't participate in cost sharing.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:10 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TerryL
The dealer's only obligation is to make the owner whole again. If a repair does that they're not liable for replacing anything else.
I would argue that if the repair causes a reliability concern, it certainly is not acceptable. Without a documented repair procedure and engineering analysis to confirm the repair is viable, I don't see how they could push it on an owner.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by glenB
I think in the situation of the oil drain plug then yes, the shop has a responsibility to make the repair, there is a direct correlation to the striped threads. You have to reinstall the drain plug and there is only one way.

With the crank, there are two ways to skin this cat, the right way with a puller, or the wrong way by drawing the balancer down with the bolt. The problem we have here is that everyone is making assumptions and blaming the dealer without all the facts.

If the tech screwed up, then the dealer pays, if the tech did the job properly, then the dealer isn't responsible. This isn't to say that the dealer can't participate in cost sharing.
I agree with all of the above. And quite often, people get lucky using the bolt. The problem is expecting the dealer to confess. Out of curiosity, have you ever heard or witnessed these threads being stripped when the correct tool was used ?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
I agree with all of the above. And quite often, people get lucky using the bolt. The problem is expecting the dealer to confess. Out of curiosity, have you ever heard or witnessed these threads being stripped when the correct tool was used ?
I've seen removers strip, and I know that crank threads do fail, while not common, it does happen, and its usually starts when the original bolt was installed.

My beef with this thread are the demands.... New motor, new crank... Blah, Blah, Blah

Still waiting on the OP
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by slickstick
I would argue that if the repair causes a reliability concern, it certainly is not acceptable. Without a documented repair procedure and engineering analysis to confirm the repair is viable, I don't see how they could push it on an owner.
Not asking for much.....

Try this scenario, Ford 3 valve, the plugs need replacing, while pulling the plug out, only the body and upper porcelain come out, the rest is still in the head, who pays to remove the rest, the tech or the shop?

Scenario 2, Cadillac 4.6, removing the sparkplugs, the threads come out with the plug, who's fault, it also happens on Fords.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

Unfortunateley,In this case its not so black and white theres a big grey area.I would have to say it is G.M s fault not the tech's.But who should pay? If it was you,this case happened to who would you think should pay?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Time to chime in. The OP didn't break the freakin thing - whatever the cause, he just brought it in to be fixed, and was willing to pay for it.....and look what happened.

IMHO the OP should be made "whole" at the dealers expense, meaning the engine should be correctly repaired or replaced. Meantime, knowing dealers, I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer also demands payment for the clearly defective repair in addition to paying to repair the dealers mistake.

Let's all hope the OP isn't totally screwed here. Once again, GM are you listening?

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer service nightmare

Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Dealer is already trying to weasel out of this.

Time to make a call to GM corporate directly to put pressure on the dealer to make it right, since GM corporate is responsible for over seeing GM dealerships/ GM repairs made by certified GM shops.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:55 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dano523
Dealer is already trying to weasel out of this.

Time to make a call to GM corporate directly to put pressure on the dealer to make it right, since GM corporate is responsible for over seeing GM dealerships/ GM repairs made by certified GM shops.
Let us know, but be aware that GM has little power over the dealer on a problem outside of the warranty period.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:31 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Would like a status update from the OP. I am interested to see how this works out.

Quick Reply: Dealer service nightmare