C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New and First Corvette owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 AM
tdash911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and First Corvette owner

Hi: I am so elated that My wife and I finally decided to buy a Corvette.
I am the proud owner of a 2012 2LT Torch Red Corvette. I have put about 300 miles and just can't believe that I waited to long. It has the 6 speed and is taking me a little time to get used to it but I know that I made the correct choice.
I have a question, My wife thinks that the stock exhaust is a little quiet. God Bless that woman I married, I would like to have a bit more roar but I don't want that single speed drone. Suggestions Please.
I live in Northern IL. What about the front license plate. Do the Police think that I need it?
Mine has Bluetooth for the phone but is there a way to run an Iphone through the Bluetooth for music?
I am sure that it would be a good idea to join a club to get the most out of driving my Corvette, any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Congratulations on the Corvette. As exhaust go I just decided on a set of Borla Touring mufflers. Borla has a good video on it's website that lets you hear three different types they sell for the Corvette. That's a good place to start. If your state requires license plate then your hosed, and you will need to get one. There if a holder, and I'm sorry I can't remember who sells it, that can be folded under the front bumper for shows etc. It looks a ton better than the one GM has that sticks onto the bumper. Sorry, I'm technologically challenged, and can't speak to the bluetooth. You can check the web for a club in your area. You will enjoy being with other Corvette owners, and they will always be there to help you. Enjoy that car.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:25 PM
FiremanC7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by tdash911
I am the proud owner of a 2012 2LT Torch Red Corvette. I have put about 300 miles and just can't believe that I waited to long. It has the 6 speed and is taking me a little time to get used to it but I know that I made the correct choice.
I have a question, My wife thinks that the stock exhaust is a little quiet. God Bless that woman I married, I would like to have a bit more roar but I don't want that single speed drone. Suggestions Please.
I live in Northern IL. What about the front license plate. Do the Police think that I need it?
Mine has Bluetooth for the phone but is there a way to run an Iphone through the Bluetooth for music?
I am sure that it would be a good idea to join a club to get the most out of driving my Corvette, any suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Congrats on the new car! Your 2012 should have a USB receptacle in the center console. This can be used to access the music on your iPhone. You cannot stream music through the Bluetooth system.

For the exhaust, if you want some more sound, but no drone, go with the Corsa Sport system. Many members on this forum own this system and are completely satisfied. Corsa also makes an "Extreme" system that is even louder if that's what you are looking for. There are other manufacturers that produce Corvette exhaust systems. If you do a site search you will find tons of opinions on this subject. I suggest you search for sound clips or videos (You Tube can help) to find the sound that you are looking for. Remember, an exhaust that sounds great outside the car will probably sound much different from inside the car.

As to the front license plate, you need to check your state laws. If it is required then any law enforcement officer may write you a citation. There are several ways to mount the front plate without messing up the looks of the car. Several vendors on this site offer solutions that may work for you.

Enjoy your new ride.

BobD
Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 PM
cravett
Support Corvetteforum!

Welcome aboard. I live NW Suburbs of Chicago, and am a retired LEO. I was not going to put the front license plate until I got stopped 3 blocks from my house and several other times. My opinion is never the police a reason to stop you for minor stuff. Topflight Reproductions sells a phenominal front bracket and frame. You might want to look into, they are also a great vendor to do business with. I don't think you can run the Iphone through the gm blue tooth but there should be an adapter on the radio.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Where at in Northern IL? I'm just north of Rockford and have Corsa Sports on mine if you care to hear them.

I don't run a front plate. If it becomes an issue I'll put it on but for the past three summers no issues (knock on wood).
Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

You could adapt a set of stock npp (dual mode) mufflers to your car. You'd need to buy a retrofit kit and a set of mufflers.

As far as the iPhone is concerned; there is no way to use GM's bluetooth to play music. You can either buy a third party adapter (like a Kinivo) or use the USB port in the console. The car will play music directly off the phone with the usb cable connected..
Old 06-09-2014, 01:50 PM
PUREVOL
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you in advance.
Check amazon for Stow & Go plate holder. I have it on mine. It folds under the bumper. As for the radio all you have to do is play your iPod & if you sync it to the cars radio it will stream through the BT. Or you could go to a radio shop & have them install a cable & run it through the center console. & for exhaust I have Borla. Sounds great.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
tdash911
5th Gear

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
Where at in Northern IL? I'm just north of Rockford and have Corsa Sports on mine if you care to hear them.

I don't run a front plate. If it becomes an issue I'll put it on but for the past three summers no issues (knock on wood).
Thanks for the offer
Old 06-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. I traded my black C5 a few months ago for a 2013 Torch Red 6 speed manual. The first mod I did was have a Corsa Extreme exhaust installed. My wife noticed how quite my C5 was when compared to other cars so I had a Corsa sport exhaust installed on it. I love the sound from the Corsa Extreme.
Yes, it will benefit you to join a Corvette club. Lots of experienced owners to share their knowledge as well as you can check out their Corvettes and see what you want to do to yours. Enjoy and remember to "save the wave".
Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM
marcellsr
Cruising

Very nice, congrats on your new vette, how bout some pictures.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Copterdoc
Intermediate

I put Borla Touring Exhuast on my 2009 Coupe, and couldn't be more happy. Almost no drone at cruise.

Borla Video
Old 06-09-2014, 03:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Congrats on the new car...and all 2012 C6s have six speeds...LOL
Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question, My wife thinks that the stock exhaust is a little quiet.
Seriously?
I have the opposite problem. I bought 2006 on Saturday and my wife thinks it's already too noisy. I want a little rumble, but she's dead set against it. I'll probably ignore her and upgrade before too long.

Congrats on the new ride.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 PM
C5A
Instructor

My 2011 GS did not have the NPP when I bought it but my son took his NPP mufflers off and gave them to me and installed the Corsa Extreme mufflers on his 2011 GS. I had his NPP mufflers installed on my car and got the aftermarket kit so I can control it from inside. I really like to option the Mild to Wild switch gives me and think my system sounds even better than my sons.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Thank you in advance.
Congrats on your new and first Vette. I recently purchased my first, an '05 that I absolutely love! I too have a very supportive wife and as I have said....behind every man with a Vette is a great woman! To be honest, I'm not sure if I have a stock or aftermarket exhaust. It has the initials CCR on the tips so maybe someone on this post can let me know what that is and whether they're stock or not. But although I'm pretty happy with my exhaust note, after hearing the 3 different Borla exhausts, I would love to upgrade.

Regarding the front license plate, I don't have one but it is a law in CT. I figure if I get stopped, then I'll get one but so far so good and I use mine as a DD seeing many state and local police.

Regarding joining a Corvette club, I guess it's a personal choice and if you like clubs in general, you'll enjoy it not to mention learn a lot about the car. For me, I'm in a Vette club with the only other member being my wife and that suits me just fine. I do consider this forum my Vette Club which is all I need.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

I have the borla touring as well - it's perfect, adds some thump but really barely louder than stock in most situations, just a bit more rumbly is all - not loud at all.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Get notified of new replies

To New and First Corvette owner

Old 06-09-2014, 04:07 PM
CHedberg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! I have had mine since Feb and have put almost 2K miles. Funny how "one day a week" turns into only driving the other car twice a month .

Mine has the B&B Route 66 exhaust, which the previous owner put on the car. No drone that I can detect. Loud enough when you step on it, but still quiet enough to have a conversation when cruising. You should probably go to a couple events and listen to other people's cars. When you hear one you like, you will know what to get. At >$1K a pop for exhausts, listen before you buy!

The front license plate issue seems to be state to state. Here in CT, the front license plate is required. However, over the last 11 years and three cars without a front plate, I have never been questioned, hassled, or fined. IMO, don't put one on the car until it becomes an issue and then use the Top Flight one recommended above (removable w/o drilling holes etc.).

Last edited by CHedberg; 06-09-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:13 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FiremanC6
Congrats on the new car! Your 2012 should have a USB receptacle in the center console. This can be used to access the music on your iPhone. You cannot stream music through the Bluetooth system.

For the exhaust, if you want some more sound, but no drone, go with the Corsa Sport system. Many members on this forum own this system and are completely satisfied. Corsa also makes an "Extreme" system that is even louder if that's what you are looking for. There are other manufacturers that produce Corvette exhaust systems. If you do a site search you will find tons of opinions on this subject. I suggest you search for sound clips or videos (You Tube can help) to find the sound that you are looking for. Remember, an exhaust that sounds great outside the car will probably sound much different from inside the car.

As to the front license plate, you need to check your state laws. If it is required then any law enforcement officer may write you a citation. There are several ways to mount the front plate without messing up the looks of the car. Several vendors on this site offer solutions that may work for you.

Enjoy your new ride.

BobD
This is absolutely spot on! I had a Corsa sport system on my 99 C5 and then on my 05 C6 ( both manual 6 speeds ) ....the sport system really gives the car the "sound to go with the looks" that we all are looking for.....my current 12 GS came with the NPP stock system that , with a mod that is available, gives you the same sound on a "selectable basis." that being said......any system you put on is going to sound really nice UNTIL you get up into 6th......some of us used to call that "drone gear!" My solution to that was simple.... I seldom used 6th, except when cruising on the interstate at speeds of 65 or better!! In any event....the stock, non npp exhaust IS too quiet and the 6th gear drone is worth tolerating!
Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 PM
JAsVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by CHedberg
Congrats! I have had mine since Feb and have put almost 2K miles. Funny how "one day a week" turns into only driving the other car twice a month .

Mine has the B&B Route 66 exhaust, which the previous owner put on the car. No drone that I can detect. Loud enough when you step on it, but still quiet enough to have a conversation when cruising. You should probably go to a couple events and listen to other people's cars. When you hear one you like, you will know what to get. At >$1K a pop for exhausts, listen before you buy!

The front license plate issue seems to be state to state. Here in CT, the front license plate is required. However, over the last 11 years and three cars without a front plate, I have never been questioned, hassled, or fined. IMO, don't put one on the car until it becomes an issue and then use the Top Flight one recommended above (removable w/o drilling holes etc.).
Could this be the ONLY reason to live in our "great" state of CT? It sure can't be because of low taxes!

Quick Reply: New and First Corvette owner