C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 month leave question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 AM
LPT2011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
What would you put underneath the tires to avoid flat spots, or not to worry and just over inflate them?
I should be gone 6 months max.
I use about 1/2 inch of corrugated cardboard under each tire to keep the rubber off the concrete. This winter was brutal and so I stored my '07 for 5 months and it was always on the the battery tender.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CKSIX
If you have USAA insurance, give them a call and put the car on their deployment rate. Good Luck
Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM
2008 Atomic Orange
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all the comments-----THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE--BE SAFE--
Old 06-10-2014, 12:09 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DriveCorvette
I would not leave a tender on it that long unattended. I would fully charge the battery then remove it from the car and store it in a place that won't freeze. Cover the car and put baggies over the exhaust ports so mice won't nest in them. Over inflate the tires to 38lbs and cover it. A mouse trap or two won't hurt under the car. Cover and walk away.
I would agree with this recommendation. If you are leaving your house too, I would put the battery in the tub (or shower) where it's off the concrete floor.
The battery tender should condition the battery while keeping it topped off. However, knowing electronic devices, and my fear of fire or any other disaster, I wouldn't trust being away for so long with something like that connected to my car. Just my own opinion. Good luck and god's speed!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last dumb question about the tender. If I want to give the tender a break, can I just pull the plug out of the wall and leave the other adapter in the cigarette lighter or do both plugs have to be removed. I can have my wife plug it in every other week if you guys think that is the right thing to do...Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Just set it up same as winter storage. No need to have someone drive it.
Here's the basic winter storage check list. Follow all or part of it, your choice.
Good luck, stay safe.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Not sure, but believe the myth of a concrete floor being harmful to a battery was proven quite a few years back to be just that.....a myth. And store your battery in the tub or shower ???....really.

Quick Reply: 6 month leave question...