C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross A6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Spring Mountain

I too have a A6 Corvette. I went to Spring Mountain (HP Driving School) and drove the only A6 GS in the fleet. I was able to run with the manual transmission cars and in most cases out run them. LOVE the paddle shifting.

I highly recommend going to a driving school first. Learn the basics using their tires, instructors, and cars. Then you can transfer that knowledge to your use of your car.

FYI, all they do to their fleet of Corvettes is add a two way radio and change brake pads.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:13 AM
FF273
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Travelor
I too have a A6 Corvette. I went to Spring Mountain (HP Driving School) and drove the only A6 GS in the fleet. I was able to run with the manual transmission cars and in most cases out run them. LOVE the paddle shifting.

I highly recommend going to a driving school first. Learn the basics using their tires, instructors, and cars. Then you can transfer that knowledge to your use of your car.

FYI, all they do to their fleet of Corvettes is add a two way radio and change brake pads.
I've actually been to that track, very nice facility
Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 AM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you enjoy and plan on doing this regularly, get a M6 as your Auto will soon be toast.

also, drive SMOOTH, feeling out of control means your going slow.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:08 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
It seems that there are a lot of people that believe the autocross circuits are a lot of fun and challenging The true road course although a lot of fun and also very challenging totally different aspects in car handling when compared to an autocross.

If you want to be a serious track partisipant, you need to make some changes to your normal everyday driver, whereas an autocross you can simple put some tape on area for protection the car and off you go.
Yes and no. I go out with Kumho V12s and good pads/fluid and an otherwise stock Z51. I have no intention of winning anything and don't give a crap about my lap times, just driving well.

You really can't compare the fun of a road course and autocross. Autocross to me is just frustrating. Can't get power down, tracks are for miatas and just about any competent driver in a gutted miata/Sti/Evo on slicks can win. To me, the fun is in trail braking and getting on the gas early :drool:
Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
Yes and no. I go out with Kumho V12s and good pads/fluid and an otherwise stock Z51. I have no intention of winning anything and don't give a crap about my lap times, just driving well.

You really can't compare the fun of a road course and autocross. Autocross to me is just frustrating. Can't get power down, tracks are for miatas and just about any competent driver in a gutted miata/Sti/Evo on slicks can win. To me, the fun is in trail braking and getting on the gas early :drool:
Not necessarily. Many NCCC Corvette Clubs hold autox events. I've raced on airport pads that Miata's would get lost on. Certainly some SCCA events are set up for the ricers but a good NCCC club will design a course with good flow that will test a Corvette driver. I've got access to great 2.2 mile road course at Mid America Motorplex but don't sell autox short.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

The autocross I've been to were irritating because there would always be some econo-car within a second or two of an actual sports car with comprable driving. It's frustrating to not get the power down or be able to run a line because the track is 4ft wider than my car. I'm not saying others don't exist, but I've never found them.

I'm also spoiled by private track membership to 2.5 mile course an hour away and access to 4 or 5 others within 3 hours. Nothing better than actually passing another car (on the brakes :drool: ) and getting on the gas early so the rear just barely starts to get loose but you make it through.

Quick Reply: Autocross A6?