C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Vette purchase advice? Calgary Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:17 AM
jayman73
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Vette purchase advice? Calgary Canada

Hi everyone! My name is Jay. I am from Winnipeg, Canada. I have been trying to learn about the C6 by following this forum for a couple years.

I am trying to fulfil a childhood dream a buy my first Corvette. I have found what I am looking for in Calgary, Canada.

-2005 DSOM Z51 3LT, 6SPD.

I am looking for a place to take the car for an inspection before I buy it. Can anyone recommend a place in Calgary?

An online search led me to Western Corvette. Can anyone recommend this place?

Or should I just take it to a Chevy dealership in Calgary?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2014, 03:21 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

You could try Davenport Motorsports in Calgary. I have no experience with them myself and am not anywhere near Calgary, but they are a Corvette Forum sponsor. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:38 PM
jayman73
8th Gear

Originally Posted by v26278
You could try Davenport Motorsports in Calgary. I have no experience with them myself and am not anywhere near Calgary, but they are a Corvette Forum sponsor. Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks for the reply. The owner and I have agreed to take it to Southgate Chevrolet. Fingers crossed!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:06 PM
bpGx
Racer

you could hop over the border to good ol USA, you know we have Obama care now
I would recommend 2005-2007 problems
Buy 2008 and up
Old 05-31-2014, 06:08 PM
electric_yogurt
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Calgary and deal with Southgate exclusively for numerous vehicles. They are by far the best dealership I have ever dealt with. Others I know who deal with them agree too. Who are you buying the car from? I may know them, but probably not since I don't know anyone with an 05.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:49 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bpGx
you could hop over the border to good ol USA, you know we have Obama care now
I would recommend 2005-2007 problems
Buy 2008 and up
Disagree. I have had a 2006 DSOM Z51 3LT manual since new with zero problems other than normal maintenance items. Now at 45 kmiles. Early 2005's had a few problems and the differential housing was weak if one put it to hard track or strip use. But if yours gets a good mechanical checkout blessing you should be OK. A notorious problem to have your mechanic check is the Harmonic Balancer at the front of the crankshaft. They have been known to fail early in some Corvettes of all years and are an expensive replacement. A wobbling harmonic balancer pulley is an easy to see indication of a problem with that item. Problems with the shifter in a car of that age can also occur because the shifter mount bushings get shredded and cracked with heat and age and allow the shifter box to move around and cause difficulty in shifting; so pay particular attention to the ease of shifting.

Last edited by SUB VETTE; 05-31-2014 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added info

Get notified of new replies

To First Vette purchase advice? Calgary Canada

Quick Reply: First Vette purchase advice? Calgary Canada