C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amber Front Running Lights.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen my VLED Triton's yellow, outside of when the directional or 4 way is on.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I ordered the Gen2 Tritons Switchback today

http://www.vleds.com/v3-wa-5k.html
Old 06-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,984 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Red08
I actually like the amber running lights

Ya....me too....I can see another C6 coming along way off.....so I can get ready to
Old 06-28-2014, 12:22 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MCharlie
Does anyone make a kit to convert the amber running lights to a white light...24/7 yet still blinks amber when 4-way flasher or turn signals are enabled?
The Triton V3 LED kit does what you want.... Switchback LEDs don't (Switchback LEDs have amber DRLs).

You can also use all white LEDs to achieve white DRLs ...but you will also have white turn-signals and flashers.

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Disclaimer: I've followed this technology closely but I have yet to read anything about whether there are any long-term reliability issues or not.
The way I see it .... The kit is "plug and play" ..... and requires no permanent modification to the car (except maybe a small mounting hole to mount the module)... if it ever fails or if you ever want to return to stock .... you can unplug everything and return to stock easily.

Please let us know how they work out.

I kind of like the idea too, but I've been waiting for more user input.
My only complaint/issue with the VLED system:

For some reason .... the VLED system turn-signals hyper-flashes when the headlights are off .... but blink normally when the headlights are on.

If anyone has figured out a "fix" for the hyper-flash issue with the headlights off ... or if I'm the only one that has this hyper-flash issue with the VLED system ... I'd like to know

Last edited by v8rx7com; 06-28-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Jayhawk62
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would white DRLs be legal in Canada? I want the option of "escaping" to the protection of the monarchy
Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by v8rx7com

For some reason .... the VLED system turn-signals hyper-flashes when the headlights are off .... but blink normally when the headlights are on.

If anyone has figured out a "fix" for the hyper-flash issue with the headlights off ... or if I'm the only one that has this hyper-flash issue with the VLED system ... I'd like to know
I had problems with the VLEDs and they would hyperflash even with their built in resistors packs. I believe some of these resistor packs are marginal for the C6. I ended up installing 10 ohm 50 watt resistors into the VLED harness and the hyperflashing disappeared.

Here is the thread on all question for VLEDs: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...v3-triton.html
Old 06-28-2014, 01:34 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I had problems with the VLEDs and they would hyperflash even with their built in resistors packs. I believe some of these resistor packs are marginal for the C6. I ended up installing 10 ohm 50 watt resistors into the VLED harness and the hyperflashing disappeared.

Awesome! .... I knew someone must of figured out a "fix"

thank you for the info
Old 06-28-2014, 02:05 PM
LD85
Race Director

Here is the thread on all question for VLEDs: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...v3-triton.html
Gen 1 or Gen2 ?
Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thank you for all the excellent info JRHAWK9 and Flame Red, in this thread and the linked one.

Thanks too v8rx7com. The interaction with the headlights causing the hyper-flash is puzzling. Did you connect the wire that dims the white LED's when the headlights are on?

Hopefully LD85's install of the Gen-2 version will offer even more answers/clarity.

One thing I found interesting while re-visiting the V-LED's website is that the load resistor is bypassed when the Triton is operating in DRL mode.

This would keep the resistor from getting hot as the only time it would be in the circuit is when the turn signals are flashing.

The one possible downside to all this clever switching/sensing of what mode the car is operating in means there are additional components/circuits within the 'control' module that could fail or become intermittent.

I like the operational concept, and the price is appropriate for that much technology and hardware, but I don't think I'd have the patience to re-do/test things as much as you all have.

Kudos for your efforts.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:03 PM
LD85
Race Director

My 6k V-Led Switchabacks, shipped, should arrive on Monday
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

I got the Gen 2.

I did NOT connect that dimming lead. Perhaps that causes the issue you are experiencing?
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Thank you for all the excellent info JRHAWK9 and Flame Red, in this thread and the linked one.

Thanks too v8rx7com. The interaction with the headlights causing the hyper-flash is puzzling. Did you connect the wire that dims the white LED's when the headlights are on?

Hopefully LD85's install of the Gen-2 version will offer even more answers/clarity.

One thing I found interesting while re-visiting the V-LED's website is that the load resistor is bypassed when the Triton is operating in DRL mode.

This would keep the resistor from getting hot as the only time it would be in the circuit is when the turn signals are flashing.

The one possible downside to all this clever switching/sensing of what mode the car is operating in means there are additional components/circuits within the 'control' module that could fail or become intermittent.

I like the operational concept, and the price is appropriate for that much technology and hardware, but I don't think I'd have the patience to re-do/test things as much as you all have.

Kudos for your efforts.
This makes sense. I just installed a set and noticed the daytime hyperflash issue as well. I don't really mind; makes the turn signal more visible during the day IMO. Also saves an infinitesimally small amount of fuel haha
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM
LD85
Race Director

Just an FYI, I have 6k low beams and I bought Gen 2 6k Switchbacks.

They arrive Monday, I will try to install them by Wednesday or Thursday of next week
Old 07-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kit from Corvette Mods. I'd never go back.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:10 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

The interaction with the headlights causing the hyper-flash is puzzling. Did you connect the wire that dims the white LED's when the headlights are on?

I did NOT connect that dimming lead. Perhaps that causes the issue you are experiencing?
Yes, I connected the dimmer wire .... but when the headlights are on and the dimmer is activated the hyper flash is gone.

When the head lights are off (no power to dimmer wire) I have hyper flash.

I did try disconnecting the dimmer wire, but it didn't resolve the issue

I'm going to add some additional resistors ... Hopefully, that fixes the issue
Old 07-04-2014, 04:25 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I think of it as a character feature of the C6.

I can usually tell a C6 from fairly far away.
I like them too, and they're much easier for other people to see so they're a safety feature. Our cars aren't highly visible since they're so low to the ground. I'm all for anything that allows us to be seen better for everyday driving.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:36 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by v8rx7com
Yes, I connected the dimmer wire .... but when the headlights are on and the dimmer is activated the hyper flash is gone.

When the head lights are off (no power to dimmer wire) I have hyper flash.

I did try disconnecting the dimmer wire, but it didn't resolve the issue

I'm going to add some additional resistors ... Hopefully, that fixes the issue
let us know how it works out

Get notified of new replies

To Amber Front Running Lights.....

Old 07-06-2014, 05:32 PM
LD85
Race Director

If they Hyperflash or not, I'll post for sure.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 PM
LD85
Race Director

I will install on Friday eve or Saturday and report back, been busy, plus I ordered the resistors from V-Led and they have arrived.

5 OHM 50W MORIMOTO HD LOAD RESISTORS | 1 PAIR
Old 07-23-2014, 04:32 PM
duanepillar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MTsVette

Quick Reply: Amber Front Running Lights.....