C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Automatic Shifter stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 PM
lakeguy434
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Automatic Shifter stuck in Park

Evaluate before you Execute: My 2007 C6 Automatic has intermittently getting stuck in Park and finally it just locked up and I could not get it into any other gear. Acting on the feedback and instructions posted on this Forum I removed the shifter, bought a new one, installed it and the New one got stuck in Park as well. I disconnected the wiring from the Shifter Solenoids and applied 12 Volts DC to the Solenoid using a 1 Amp Motorcycle Battery Charger. The Solenoid works just fine, on Both Shifters. Rod extends and the Shifters go into gear. So my recommendation is to check this after removing the console and shifter Boot Before removing and replacing the Shifter Assembly. Now I have to presume the problem lies in the Brake/Shifter switch under the Brake Pedal and have to figure out how to get that thing out and replaced.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:33 PM
biggerjer
Instructor

Originally Posted by lakeguy434
Evaluate before you Execute: My 2007 C6 Automatic has intermittently getting stuck in Park and finally it just locked up and I could not get it into any other gear. Acting on the feedback and instructions posted on this Forum I removed the shifter, bought a new one, installed it and the New one got stuck in Park as well. I disconnected the wiring from the Shifter Solenoids and applied 12 Volts DC to the Solenoid using a 1 Amp Motorcycle Battery Charger. The Solenoid works just fine, on Both Shifters. Rod extends and the Shifters go into gear. So my recommendation is to check this after removing the console and shifter Boot Before removing and replacing the Shifter Assembly. Now I have to presume the problem lies in the Brake/Shifter switch under the Brake Pedal and have to figure out how to get that thing out and replaced.
There are some great threads here for this problem. I've been there recently. Brake switch is OK if car will start. I simply drilled a small hole in the locking pawl and wired it up on the new shifter. Probably wiring problem between brake sw and solenoid in your case. Read some more threads on this all are excellent.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:40 PM
lakeguy434
Heel & Toe

Default C6 Automatic Stuck in Park

C6 Automatic stuck in Park. No power to shifter solenoid when pressing brake pedal. ( Solenoid works when 12V external power applied ) Anyone know how to find and replace the switch under the brake pedal assembly ?? Someone replied that the brake switch must be O.K. if the car starts. Does the switch that makes the Start circuit also provide power to the shifter solenoid ??

Last edited by lakeguy434; 05-30-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:41 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Can you see the solenoid when it is in place? Just wondering if the solenoid is binding on the shifter because of a misalignment. Try moving the shifter to possibly to remove any pressure on the solenoid. Just a possibility
Old 05-30-2014, 02:03 PM
lakeguy434
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MKenM
Can you see the solenoid when it is in place? Just wondering if the solenoid is binding on the shifter because of a misalignment. Try moving the shifter to possibly to remove any pressure on the solenoid. Just a possibility
Yes I can see the solenoid. Shifter boot is still off the assembly and everything internal to the shifter is visible. Disconnecting the solenoid wiring connector and Applying 12 Volts with a 1 amp charger makes the solenoid engage and pull the cam lock back allowing me to shift into other gears. Do you know if the same switch that makes the Start Circuit also powers the shift solenoid ??
Old 05-30-2014, 02:18 PM
lakeguy434
Heel & Toe

C6 Automatic stuck in Park. No power to shifter solenoid when pressing brake pedal. ( Solenoid works when 12V external power applied ) Anyone know how to find and replace the switch under the brake pedal assembly ?? Someone replied that the brake switch must be O.K. if the car starts. Does the switch that makes the Start circuit also provide power to the shifter solenoid ??
Help
Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

There is a fuse in the foot well for the transmission lock. Look in your manual. It might be in a different location than mine. Make sure that fuse is OK. I suspect it might be but just in case.

In the book it is labeled as BTSI Brake Transmission Shift Interlock.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I cut the end off of the nylon dog. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:22 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
I cut the end off of the nylon dog. Haven't had a problem since.
Although it worked I'm not sure that it is a good idea to bypass a safety feature.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM
biggerjer
Instructor

Yes I can see the solenoid. Shifter boot is still off the assembly and everything internal to the shifter is visible. Disconnecting the solenoid wiring connector and Applying 12 Volts with a 1 amp charger makes the solenoid engage and pull the cam lock back allowing me to shift into other gears. Do you know if the same switch that makes the Start Circuit also powers the shift solenoid ??
Here is all you should need to know. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...with-pics.html
Old 05-30-2014, 04:48 PM
biggerjer
Instructor

Help
I sent this link on your other thread. It answers your questions:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...with-pics.html
Old 05-30-2014, 08:30 PM
lakeguy434
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by biggerjer
I sent this link on your other thread. It answers your questions:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...with-pics.html
Thanks so much for the feedback. Will try everything that has been suggested and when all else fails I'll just do the " Wire-It-Back " trick
Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Please take a minute and record this issue at www.safercar.gov as its part of the safety equipment required on automatic transmissions, this is the NHTSA site. Use the file complaint button on right.

Be very careful not to force the car into gear. You can also damage the shifter cable. Unfortunately the solenoid is not replaceable on its own, you need to purchase a whole new shifter assembly. The repair can easily cost a thousand dollars and it still appears the replacement part is of the same design and quality of the original.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:54 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

www.safercar.gov (file a complaint with NHTSA)

If you go under Corvettes you will see numerous complaints on this. Not sure of the culprit other than dealers suggesting the solenoid is issue. I do know that each and everyone that experiences it should log in the issue. This is part of the safety equipment and has no warning as to where and when it can get "stuck in park".
Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
Although it worked I'm not sure that it is a good idea to bypass a safety feature.
No problem there. All other safety features work. I can't fully shut the car off until it's in park. Still have to be in park or neutral with my foot on the brake to start it. Just don't have to worry about getting it into gear after it's started. Works fine.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:18 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Here's what 3 of us did.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...k-finally.html

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Automatic Shifter stuck in Park

Quick Reply: C6 Automatic Shifter stuck in Park