C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * GM Recall does include C6s (MERGED) * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyBono24
Of course, the GM Customer Service people in here "couldn't find any recall or CSP's for my VIN"... but they offered me "cost assistance"... horse ****.

****ing GM, I swear this is my final GM car.
Each car manufacturer has their own sets of problems. Cars are so complicated. Can you imagine trying to think ahead 5 years about every joint, connector, and every part in general? Mind boggling. In my C3 Vette, I engineered all the weak things out. In my 13, I'll do the same. Wouldn't every brand of car have it's own problems? I read that Toyota has more recalls than any other manufacture.

Try a Porsche..... Lots of choices out there. I like my GM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:06 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
Each car manufacturer has their own sets of problems. Cars are so complicated. Can you imagine trying to think ahead 5 years about every joint, connector, and every part in general? Mind boggling. In my C3 Vette, I engineered all the weak things out. In my 13, I'll do the same. Wouldn't every brand of car have it's own problems? I read that Toyota has more recalls than any other manufacture.

Your right it's not easy but that's not what this thread is about (I think). This thread is about customer support once a defect is discovered. I also wouldn't buy a Toyota because I know they tried to hide their known defects.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetten76

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Your right it's not easy but that's not what this thread is about (I think). This thread is about customer support once a defect is discovered. I also wouldn't buy a Toyota because I know they tried to hide their known defects.
Exactly. It's not about the defects. It's about the way the company is trying to screw over the people affected by them. At least Honda (a company I hate BTW) will issue a recall when it realizes it screwed up.

GM had to lie to people and cover up a problem until SEVERAL PEOPLE DIED to finally issue a recall for that whole ignition thing. Now with this headlight thing they are completely ignoring anyone with an '08 and newer model, even though it has the SAME issue and were made with the SAME defective part. Of course they are mostly out of warranty by this point so everyone has to pay the $600-800 out of pocket to fix it... with some "hope" that some day they'll repay all of us. That's bull$hit.

I guess Corvette drivers need to start crashing at night when their headlights suddenly go out before GM will finally make right with this issue as well.

Last edited by FlyBono24; 07-22-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I must have missed the recall from GM regarding the lousy material used for the C6 headlight lenses that deteriorate over time due to heat buildup inside the lens generated by the HID bulbs as well as UV rays outside thereby reducing night time visibility. As anyone who's had the lenses replaced, or the entire headlight assemblies replaced for that matter knows, it's one expensive proposition ($750 - lens replacement/set; $1,600 - headlight assemblies/set).
Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
Received the re-call notice yesterday for my '06 Z06. Notice for wife's '06 convertible should be any day now. "Parts are not currently available."? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???
I received mine today. Picked up at the museum 4/6/2005. Of course no parts available. I'm going to hold off anyway because as we all know we will be getting a recall for the check air bag light any day. I'll have them both done on the same visit.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I received mine today. Picked up at the museum 4/6/2005. Of course no parts available. I'm going to hold off anyway because as we all know we will be getting a recall for the check air bag light any day. I'll have them both done on the same visit.
Good point. On of my co-workers is an Electrical Engineer and when I showed him the photo of the wire routing in the photo, he couldn't believe the fuse block was assembled that way with such a sharp bend in the wire for the low beams headlights, especially when the unit is subjected to such high heat in the engine bay. Way to go GM.

Last edited by vetdude; 07-24-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:22 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just called into the dealership and they said there are no recalls for my 06 Z06. I gave them my vin as well. What gives?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 PM
TFFTBR
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The recall isn't posted yet on the GM site dealers use to pull them up so they can do recalls and check a car's warranty. If it doesn't come up there is nothing they can do. I work at a Chevy dealer and check my VIN and the VIN for my boss's Z06 on a regular basis. I haven't gotten a letter yet either, but I am starting to get phone calls about C6 recalls.....
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15 AM
TFFTBR
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good news and bad news. The recall has finally posted to the GM Dealerworld site (which means the dealer can finally file the claim to get the headlight problem fixed. That was the good news. The bad news is, as posted on the site, "remedy not yet available" which basically means it's a pending recall and there is nothing the dealer can do yet to fix the problem. At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even tho it's probably not a C6. LOL
Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I think most modern cars have these type lenses, and they all suffer from the same problem. Some cheap fixes have been posted on this site, but they take some elbow grease.

I must have missed the recall from GM regarding the lousy material used for the C6 headlight lenses that deteriorate over time due to heat buildup inside the lens generated by the HID bulbs as well as UV rays outside thereby reducing night time visibility. As anyone who's had the lenses replaced, or the entire headlight assemblies replaced for that matter knows, it's one expensive proposition ($750 - lens replacement/set; $1,600 - headlight assemblies/set).
Old 08-11-2014, 07:16 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The good news is I got a call saying the 2008's would soon be covered by the recall.

The bad news is the part is ALL back ordered and won't be in stock any time soon.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Dazz510
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The good news is I got a call saying the 2008's would soon be covered by the recall.

The bad news is the part is ALL back ordered and won't be in stock any time soon.
I my self have the same issue and have a 2008 C6 garage kept and was told my vin was not under recall. But my car does every thing stated on the recall. What can we do to have this fixed its pretty ridiculous.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazz510
I my self have the same issue and have a 2008 C6 garage kept and was told my vin was not under recall. But my car does every thing stated on the recall. What can we do to have this fixed its pretty ridiculous.
The only recourse we have is the NHTSA. We all need to file a complaint about the lights and air bag problem. It's the only way we can get GM's attention. Everyone should file a complaint even if you have never had the problem. There's a good chance you will some day. It only takes a few minutes. I've filed eleven.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 AM
wingbone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2005 Z51 Coupe - AC issue

3 Months ago i got into my vette and turned on the AC it was blowing out hot air, so i figured maybe i need some Freon, soi was thinking about taking it to the dealer to figure it out.

but when i got back into the car the next day the AC started blowing cold air, i said to myself maybe i had the thermostate on 75 0r 80 no problem. about 3 week later the AC was on and it just started blowing hot air again and i made sure i look at the temperature in side the car which was 65 degrees, i was mad so on my way home from work i had to ride with the windows down.

i thought about taking it to the shop to see what's wrong.
Did not drive the car for 1 week. i decided to take it to the shop, but when i got in the car and turned on the air it was cold. i can't figure it out.

So last week the AC was blowing hot again, came home washed and waxed the car put it in the garage and said to myself it be cool the next day i will just drive with the windows down or with the top off. Well on my way to work i turned on the AC and it was blowing cold.

I can't figure it out. I'm afraid if i take it to the dealer they will definetly rip me off.

Has any had this happen to their AC?
Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dobedave
The second safety recall covers 111,889 Chevrolet Corvettes from the 2005-2007 model years for potential loss of low-beam headlamp operation Models from 2008-2013 will be covered under a Customer Satisfaction Program. All repairs will be at no cost to customers.

Only 2009-2013 will be fixed at no cost not 2005-2007?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by wingbone
3 Months ago i got into my vette and turned on the AC it was blowing out hot air, so i figured maybe i need some Freon, soi was thinking about taking it to the dealer to figure it out.

but when i got back into the car the next day the AC started blowing cold air, i said to myself maybe i had the thermostate on 75 0r 80 no problem. about 3 week later the AC was on and it just started blowing hot air again and i made sure i look at the temperature in side the car which was 65 degrees, i was mad so on my way home from work i had to ride with the windows down.

i thought about taking it to the shop to see what's wrong.
Did not drive the car for 1 week. i decided to take it to the shop, but when i got in the car and turned on the air it was cold. i can't figure it out.

So last week the AC was blowing hot again, came home washed and waxed the car put it in the garage and said to myself it be cool the next day i will just drive with the windows down or with the top off. Well on my way to work i turned on the AC and it was blowing cold.

I can't figure it out. I'm afraid if i take it to the dealer they will definetly rip me off.

Has any had this happen to their AC?
What did your outside temp read? That determines whether or not you get cold or hot air. If there is a failure in the outside temp sensor you can get some unusual reactions. You can also have some unusual reactions if the car was shut off with an outside temp much lower than when you start it later in the day. The AC waits until the outside temp is updated to change its reaction.

Check the attached operating conditions to see if your operation falls into these categories.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM
rappini
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default C-6 recall

Hey OC, I'm a little late for this but can you direct me to the GM recall for C-6 light issues. There was a link on the forum but I couldn't ,make work. My warranty runs out in October.

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * GM Recall does include C6s (MERGED) * * * *

Old 08-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Dana Point Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Received the re-call notice yesterday for my '06 Z06. Notice for wife's '06 convertible should be any day now. "Parts are not currently available."? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???
We received our recall notice in July. I ignored it since we were told we would be notified when dealers have the parts to fix the issue. Then the lights did not work one night last week. I called our local dealership (on 8/23) and they had no idea of what was going on. Then no lights again tonight.

So are we expected to not drive our cars? Or just take a chance on a serious consequence.

I do not like the thought of the dealer working on the car... We are still dealing with a dealership issue with our top replacement (recall some years back when our top delaminated on our way back from Parker)!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Exactly. It's not about the defects. It's about the way the company is trying to screw over the people affected by them. At least Honda (a company I hate BTW) will issue a recall when it realizes it screwed up.

GM had to lie to people and cover up a problem until SEVERAL PEOPLE DIED to finally issue a recall for that whole ignition thing. Now with this headlight thing they are completely ignoring anyone with an '08 and newer model, even though it has the SAME issue and were made with the SAME defective part. Of course they are mostly out of warranty by this point so everyone has to pay the $600-800 out of pocket to fix it... with some "hope" that some day they'll repay all of us. That's bull$hit.

I guess Corvette drivers need to start crashing at night when their headlights suddenly go out before GM will finally make right with this issue as well.
wHat if you have a 2005 and it is still under the GM Extended warranty?
Would this recall be covered under that?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:43 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dana Point Vette
We received our recall notice in July. I ignored it since we were told we would be notified when dealers have the parts to fix the issue. Then the lights did not work one night last week. I called our local dealership (on 8/23) and they had no idea of what was going on. Then no lights again tonight.

So are we expected to not drive our cars? Or just take a chance on a serious consequence.

I do not like the thought of the dealer working on the car... We are still dealing with a dealership issue with our top replacement (recall some years back when our top delaminated on our way back from Parker)!
Haven't received anything in mail yet regarding recall.

Quick Reply: * * * * GM Recall does include C6s (MERGED) * * * *