C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 corvette loss of power!!! help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:48 PM
aaronlehman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 corvette loss of power!!! help please!!

My 2005 stock ls2 corvette has been having problems lately!!! my check engine light say i have a lean 02 sensor on bank one but goes on and off!! the main problem is when i am trying gas it the car will bog down and not gain speed for a couple of seconds then all of the sudden my car will just kick out of it and haul ***. when the car kicks out it turns on the service traction control light!!! but once the light is off the car runs fine and wont have accelerating problems until i turn the car off then back on. what could it be. i was guessing maybe a wheel speed sensor but am not sure.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronlehman
My 2005 stock ls2 corvette has been having problems lately!!! my check engine light say i have a lean 02 sensor on bank one but goes on and off!! the main problem is when i am trying gas it the car will bog down and not gain speed for a couple of seconds then all of the sudden my car will just kick out of it and haul ***. when the car kicks out it turns on the service traction control light!!! but once the light is off the car runs fine and wont have accelerating problems until i turn the car off then back on. what could it be. i was guessing maybe a wheel speed sensor but am not sure.
First thing to do is get yourself to a local automotive shop like Pep Boys or Advance Auto (or check if any local Vette owners have an OBD II reader) & ask them to read the codes for you. Most shops will do that at no cost. You can see what codes are being thrown & do a lookup for possible causes of those codes. Until you do that, you're searching in the dark!
Old 05-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Auto parts store to pull codes for free, then see what codes you are getting for starters.

If you want to buy a scanner yourself, then what phone are you using. Dash commander for Iphone (wifi elm), Torque for droids (bluetooth elm), and a wifi or bluetooth elm327 for around $15 allows you to not only pull codes and clear them, but get real time readouts on the car as well (read lot better than a scanner that is going to spend most of it's life in the tool box instead).

As for the telescoping wheel harness problems, there is a recall for such, and might want to have it checked out if you have a telescoping steering wheel.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:54 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

IS IT THE ORIGINAL BATTERY IN THE CAR???Not sure if that would cause all that but check that first.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:59 PM
aaronlehman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
IS IT THE ORIGINAL BATTERY IN THE CAR???Not sure if that would cause all that but check that first.
connected the scan tool and tht is how i found out the lean condition on bank 1. but what is getting me is why my car is jerking and bogging and just kicks out of it and runs perfect. the car boggs bad and hesitates then jerks and traction control light comes on and runs perfect and has all power back. thought it would be a wheel position sensor or a clogged cat but will the cat throw traction control codes?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i would start by washing out the MASS. Go out and buy MASS SAFE cleaner at any parts store.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 PM
aaronlehman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by truckplay
i would start by washing out the MASS. Go out and buy MASS SAFE cleaner at any parts store.
i have done this as well . i cleaned mass, throttle body, air intake filters. i think something is holding the power back. it just boggs then kicks out and is perfect until the car restarts. so aiming towards the traction system i think. if anyone has any input about the traction system.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM
aaronlehman
6th Gear

:bump:
Old 08-10-2014, 11:58 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I also have a 2005. Check battery first, if it is over 2=3 years old replace it. Entire electrical system in this car is very sensitive to exact voltage and can be the cause of multiple unrelated codes.

Next, the car sounds like it is going in Reduced Engine Power Mode and then coming out of it. This is what causes the car to barely run, etc. if there was a real condition causing this to happen it would not come and go. This leads me back to thinking it is an electrical problem and not the source of the code.

Sadly, if the battery does not correct this issue, it becomes an issue best resolved by the GM dealer. I have had several REP incidents and it took the dealer to diagnose them.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:24 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

It's been over three months and you still don't have this resolved?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM
aaronlehman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It's been over three months and you still don't have this resolved?
hahaha seems bad huh? but i am deployed right now lol . So i am just trying to get ideas together so i can fix it when i get back state side. anyways i have to replace the batterie anyways since my wife didnt start it often like i asked ha. hopfully it will fix my problem, but the batterie in it was pretty new.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:49 PM
aaronlehman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by jim2092
I also have a 2005. Check battery first, if it is over 2=3 years old replace it. Entire electrical system in this car is very sensitive to exact voltage and can be the cause of multiple unrelated codes.

Next, the car sounds like it is going in Reduced Engine Power Mode and then coming out of it. This is what causes the car to barely run, etc. if there was a real condition causing this to happen it would not come and go. This leads me back to thinking it is an electrical problem and not the source of the code.

Sadly, if the battery does not correct this issue, it becomes an issue best resolved by the GM dealer. I have had several REP incidents and it took the dealer to diagnose them.
this is what i was thinking. the wiered thing is, it will go limp for 3 secs then the service tration controll system light comes on. while still driving and the light being on the car will run perfect and drive like a bat out of hell, untill i turn the car off and back on, it will reset itself.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the correct tire sizes installed?

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 corvette loss of power!!! help please!!

Quick Reply: 2005 corvette loss of power!!! help please!!