C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Spoolin8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Ride

After having my vette for a good 4 years it was time to get rid of her. Loved the torque and power but it was getting up there in miles (90k). Had intake, headers, and full catless exhaust. Tuned it put down 377whp/375tq. I was at the point I needed to go FI or get something new.

I loved taking the winding roads and it was very enjoyable to autox. However, I kept losing to my buddy with his 4 door sedan. I finally gave in and we swapped cars for a run. After one run in it, I knew I needed one. I put down a faster time than I was with my vette and it took cars I didnt think were possible. Likely because im not the best driver and the awd was basically allowing me to cheat, but it was a blast. I know most on this forum tend to hate the ricer status of these vehicles but ultimately im a car enthusiast and give respect where I feel its deserved. Brand new 2014 Evo X. Have 250 miles on it and have already broken in the launch control . Loving how cheap it is to make these absurdly fast too. I ordered $1,500 worth of parts (intake, full exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, boost controller, etc) and after install, my tuner says I can put down 450awhp and about 402tq. Going to tune it slightly lower though until I can get some internal work done to be safe. I do enjoy getting away from the corvette tax but I have nothing bad to say about the vette at all. As of now its the best vehicle I have owned. I will forever miss the sound of that V8 pushrod engine and hopefully when the price drops on the C7 I can make the jump back. Thanks for all the help over the years with all the extremely useful information and friendliness! What would a thread be without pics...

One below looks just like mine. I didnt take a full side pic yet but this is basically spot on. The paint in person is a lovely black they call phantom black. It is full of gold flakes and in the sun looks more of a mocha color. No pics do it justice.

I didnt take interior shots but this is identical.

Last edited by Spoolin8; 05-03-2014 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:21 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Looks like a nice ride. BBS wheels to boot !

I have no idea what it is like to be in the Mitsu culture, but the cars do look good.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:28 AM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Aren't those low numbers for the vette? Checkout what I just dyno'd with the same mods:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...rwtq-dyno.html
Old 05-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Spoolin8
Racer

I always thought it seemed a little low. Your numbers look awesome for a LS2. What type of dyno were you on? That can potentially explain the variation. I was actually wrong about the torque, it was lower than I thought. LS2 with 76k miles at the time

Last edited by Spoolin8; 05-03-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:09 AM
Spoolin8
Racer

Mitsu culture is hit or miss. You have some with the new models that are more mature and tasteful. Your average car enthusiast that appreciates it, and then you have some of the younger crowd that buys the abused high mileage, ragged out ones. No need to explain those...
Old 05-03-2014, 08:23 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

All kinds of reasons I would not have made the same move, but you did and hope you enjoy your new ride.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:19 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

EVO's can be wicked fast, but just a warning from a person that has seen many of them run on tracks during several HPDEs and autox's - they tend to break...a lot (mostly transmission/clutch problems from what I saw). Not sure if it was just young drivers not realizing they're beating the crap out of their cars or because they tuned them to the ragged edge, but I can't recall but maybe one or two of the dozens I've run with actually finishing the whole session. By obvious comparison, the WRX's seemed to have a better track record in terms of reliability.

They are cool cars though. Have fun!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Luck

Good luck with the EVO. We all love cars, and as such, we should all drive what we want and embrace the choices our friends make. Change cars, try different ones. The EVO with AWD and turbo has many fine qualities, especially putting down power out of tight turns. Great for AutoX I presume, but I do full size track driving where the vette easily outpaces most cars out there until a GTR or Scuderia shows up. One thing I've noticed about turbo's is that they are usually easy to crank the boost, torque, and HP. Just be careful. My friend grenaded his 300zx turbo with too much boost.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

Thanks for the input everyone. I did a lot of researching before jumping in it. The "automatic" SST ones have a weak transmission which is why I chose the GSR manual. The reason they tend to break alot is because with $500 you can literally get +100awhp. It allows people to bump the power up who dont want to spend money on supporting mods. This creates an environment were many dont follow the "pay to play" rule. There are numerous people that are running in the 700-900hp range with over 60k hard miles who spent an extra $200 for a good tuner. I was originally going to go with the Subaru as I was a fan of the boxer engine but after researching, those engines are incredibly difficult to squeeze extra power out of and are much weaker that the evo driveline.

Most autox or rallyx with these cars as thats really their niche. Overall I would say the vette was a better DD. Had more room in the trunk and got better gas mileage. The only benefit the evo has is that I can fit three women in it compared to one
Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

I dont have the ***** to rallyx but it does look....fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsn1pquBwQ#t=35
Old 05-03-2014, 12:44 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Personally, I wouldn't care if the Evo dropped 800 rwhp, I would never give up the sleek, sexy, exotic, sports car look, and iconic name of the Corvette for something that looks like a 4 door family sedan.

But, that's exactly why there are so many cars on the road.

Somethin' for everyone. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:35 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nifty ride.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 PM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on the evo Such amazing car and lovely DD, used to be a driver @ Boosted Spirits Performance here and I quite driving there evo's quit driving with them cause I wanna start my own business you'll love the drivability even when you modified it.

Best,
Mubarak.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Enjoy the Riceburner!!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Each i it's own way, best of fun and most pleasure!
Old 05-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

I know the appeal of AWD, as my DD is a Legacy GT. I don't doubt that you could make it stupid-fast for cheaper...especially from a dig.

However, I personally couldn't fathom attempting to fill the Vette's shoes with something similar. Then again, im pretty sure I bought mine for different purposes than you. FWIW, I really liked the way your Vette looked!

Enjoy your new ride, bud.

Last edited by Stavesacre21; 05-04-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Ride

Quick Reply: New Ride