C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm gonna be rich - Narrow Body Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:07 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Default I'm gonna be rich - Narrow Body Conversion

I have been reading a few GS vs. Base threads and think I can solve all of my financial woes. I need to come up with a narrow body conversion for the Z06 and ZR1 guys so they can have the awesome LS7 and LS9 power without any of the bothersome fenders sticking out, expensive tire issues, lowered top speed and alignment problems associated with the wide body.

Ok I'm kidding but it seems that there is a lot of animosity toward the GS (I love mine by the way). The Z06 guys look down their noses at us and the Base guys think we are posers. I guess the GS is the dark sheep of the family, and I am OK with that.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the GS is a beautiful car that gives most owners what they need. Wide body and targa top and decent performance. Probably more power than most need. The Z06 seems more specific about performance. The only thing that made me go to the Z06 over GS was the three slits in the front fender. Not sure, but I just don't love it. I had a 2005 Z51 for 5 years. Not a day would go by where I wish it had a wide body and more power. So, I sold it and got the Z. No regrets. Also, in 5 years, I never took the top off unless I was working on the interior.

Anyway, I for one have lots of love for Grand Sport owners, Z owners and even C5 owners. I think anything C5 or C6 looks fantastic and I love to see them on the road. Peace!!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:57 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

I have said it before and I will say it again The GS is the best Corvette ever made
Old 05-03-2014, 07:01 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by silver74vette
I have been reading a few GS vs. Base threads and think I can solve all of my financial woes. I need to come up with a narrow body conversion for the Z06 and ZR1 guys so they can have the awesome LS7 and LS9 power without any of the bothersome fenders sticking out, expensive tire issues, lowered top speed and alignment problems associated with the wide body.

Ok I'm kidding but it seems that there is a lot of animosity toward the GS (I love mine by the way). The Z06 guys look down their noses at us and the Base guys think we are posers. I guess the GS is the dark sheep of the family, and I am OK with that.

You shouldn't start drinking before noon....
Old 05-03-2014, 07:08 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
You shouldn't start drinking before noon....
Funny your not the first person to tell me that.

In all seriousness I love all Vettes it seems like we sling a lot of trash now and then.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love BS
Old 05-03-2014, 08:34 PM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the GS is a good beast to go with love how its looks like and it's much better than the base even it's a good deal to have one since it maybe gone for ever!.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:35 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by slolane
I have said it before and I will say it again The GS is the best Corvette ever made
I would take the ZR1 as best.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:59 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by KWC6
I would take the ZR1 as best.
It maybe faster but that does not make it better If you are just going by looks the GS can't be beat ( just my .02 )
Old 05-03-2014, 09:14 PM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS is the Carrera S4 of the Vette world. You get the big body with the base motor
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 05-03-2014, 11:30 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by theblue
GS is the Carrera S4 of the Vette world. You get the big body with the base motor
That is the best comparison. I am biased but the fact is the GS is a poser. It was GM's way of making money when they saw how many wide body kits were being sold to posers. Improving or modifying you car is all cool with me. It's really the guys who have to put emblems on too that make me crazy. I have been a Zo6 guy from 2002 till today w/ 4 different Zo6's. From 2002 till today the Zo6 has been copied w/ brakes and wheels on the C5's to the wide body kits, brakes and wheels on the C6. The GM cashed in w/ the GS answering the demand for automatics and wide bodies.

Base vette = regular guy doesn't care about the hard core track stuff, cruiser, car guy
Zo6 vette = track guy, more aggressive driver HPDE guy, enthusiast, car nut
ZR1 vette = King of the hill guy, enthusiast, investor, track guy, collector
GS vette = Doesn't want to be a base guy, wants to look like these guys^^^^^( Z's) doesn't want to pay Z prices for stuff he doesn't want but wants to look like he does, wants an automatic but wants to look like a track car, believes the targa top wasn't and 80's thing and wants to take it off at will, and still buys the GS and complains about the tire prices premature wear, aggressive alignment along w/ brake dust issues. Well if you have Zo6 stuff you get Zo6 problems…. we go through a lot of tires….don't want to?? should have bought a base!
At least GS guys don't have our LS7 issues!! LOL

A vette is a vette and a vette guy is a vette guy period. Its just the base vette is the vette. The Zo6 was a step up for track use, and ZR1 was just crazy. The GS is nothing more than an appearance package w/ parts bin parts imitating another car. I don't why guys get sensitive about a non purpose car. Save the hate, I don't have any, just an observation after owning vettes for 32 years. Used to be just small blocks and big blocks!!
Oh I put a Z07 emblem on the back of my Z06….but its really a Zo7!!!

Last edited by seamus2154; 05-03-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:47 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the GS is the best looking Vette period.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:26 AM
scopeguard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS has the base LS3 but the coupe with the M6 gets a hand built engine from Wixom, same shop that builds the LS7, LS9, etc.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:40 AM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by seamus2154
That is the best comparison. I am biased but the fact is the GS is a poser. It was GM's way of making money when they saw how many wide body kits were being sold to posers. Improving or modifying you car is all cool with me. It's really the guys who have to put emblems on too that make me crazy. I have been a Zo6 guy from 2002 till today w/ 4 different Zo6's. From 2002 till today the Zo6 has been copied w/ brakes and wheels on the C5's to the wide body kits, brakes and wheels on the C6. The GM cashed in w/ the GS answering the demand for automatics and wide bodies.

Base vette = regular guy doesn't care about the hard core track stuff, cruiser, car guy
Zo6 vette = track guy, more aggressive driver HPDE guy, enthusiast, car nut
ZR1 vette = King of the hill guy, enthusiast, investor, track guy, collector
GS vette = Doesn't want to be a base guy, wants to look like these guys^^^^^( Z's) doesn't want to pay Z prices for stuff he doesn't want but wants to look like he does, wants an automatic but wants to look like a track car, believes the targa top wasn't and 80's thing and wants to take it off at will, and still buys the GS and complains about the tire prices premature wear, aggressive alignment along w/ brake dust issues. Well if you have Zo6 stuff you get Zo6 problems…. we go through a lot of tires….don't want to?? should have bought a base!
At least GS guys don't have our LS7 issues!! LOL

A vette is a vette and a vette guy is a vette guy period. Its just the base vette is the vette. The Zo6 was a step up for track use, and ZR1 was just crazy. The GS is nothing more than an appearance package w/ parts bin parts imitating another car. I don't why guys get sensitive about a non purpose car. Save the hate, I don't have any, just an observation after owning vettes for 32 years. Used to be just small blocks and big blocks!!
Oh I put a Z07 emblem on the back of my Z06….but its really a Zo7!!!
I thought the GS was a HUGE POSER as well when they were introduced (again). I had an '08 base with a max effort LS3 that was smokin' hot. Everything about the GS ticked me off.

Then I drove one.

Now, I own one. 2011 3LT with F55. This car is waaaay better than my base '08, even considering all the performance mods. It has an improved ride, better handling, better braking, and looks like it's doing 150 standing still.

Just swapped the LS3 for an LS7. Pics and info coming soon (I just got it back tonight).

Cannot think of a better Vette setup.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To I'm gonna be rich - Narrow Body Conversion

Old 05-04-2014, 06:20 AM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by MR_JLR
I think the GS is the best looking Vette period.
I could not agree more, GS guys have every reason to be proud of their cars. There is not another Corvette that compares looks wise its the best of everything I would love to have one but they were not out when I bought my car
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21

Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 AM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The GS is a wonderful compromise. Wide body looks with an LS3 and Drysump (M6 that is).. Great looking car and a track monster.... I don't own one, but I would be proud if I did. I love my Base Z51 car as well... No animosity to or from other Z06 and ZR1 friends... except for one douche of course who always reminds me his car is way faster than mine... lol...

Quick Reply: I'm gonna be rich - Narrow Body Conversion