C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doors not auto-unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:02 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
Do I just open up the door pad and clean the contacts with light sand paper and alcohol?

Anyone have a pic of a door pad opened up to see the contacts?
I would just wipe them well with a little WD-40...it is a very good electrical contact cleaner...was used in the past to dry the inside of a distributor cap (old tech...LOL) when it had condensation. Especially relevant if the car is in a humid place..ie east of the rockies. I think sandpaper might be a bit much...the most I would do would be a blue Scotchbrite pad...but sandpaper has certainly been done here on the forum. You want the WD40 at the end in order to retard future corrosion...best to have a protectant on there.

It's just two screws to remove the pad and a few more holding the two halves together...very easy.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been needing to do this for a while, mine stick once in a while.

When they they get stubborn and refuse to comply with my wishes to open the door, I've been using my Window Valet to lower the windows to reach in and open the door.

Probably take about as long to clean them up as it has taken to type this message! LOL !!

Thanks a bunch, you are sincerely appreciated!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Since the contacts are copper, if you actually see green corrosion, then use something to scrub a bit...if not, then WD should be fine. Houston is humid, so it might be a mess in there.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:15 AM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Changed fob battery today. No joy. Tried remote 2 for the heck of it. no joy either.

Doubt it's a corroded contact in the handle as it works fine if the car is unlocked...

and yes, there is a FOB antenna in the door. I saw it when I had the entire car apart for sound deadening 3 months ago.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 AM
jrc50
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long do the fob batteries typically last?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by njedwardz
Changed fob battery today. No joy. Tried remote 2 for the heck of it. no joy either.

Doubt it's a corroded contact in the handle as it works fine if the car is unlocked...

and yes, there is a FOB antenna in the door. I saw it when I had the entire car apart for sound deadening 3 months ago.
If I were in your garage with a screwdriver, I could have the two door pads switched with eachother in 5 minutes max....why not give it a shot?

After you rule that out, then try switching the antenna from the passenger door to the drivers door and see if that moves the problem to the other side. On this forum, it seems like there is sometimes a rush to start replacing parts before the problem has been isolated, so many of these parts are not needed. Because you have a problem that is exhibited on one side of the car but not on the other side, you have a good ability to isolate the problem and know more about what is causing it before you go buying new parts. The easy, simple place to start is the door pad switch...5 minutes at most. Then move on to a more difficult test....but start off easy and simple. Maybe you get lucky and maybe you don't.

Last edited by cclive; 05-04-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

sorry I haven't responded in a bit...we have exams this week so I've been concentrating on that.

I'll go ahead and swap the door pads and see if that swaps the issue.

If it does, quite frankly, I'll probably just leave the thing on the passenger side and not worry about it. It's not very often that I need to get into that side when the car's locked anyway.

I'll update with results.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

swapped the door pads. no change. assuming it's an issue with the fob antenna inside the door. if I have time this weekend, I'll try and get in there to check the connections or swap sides.

Quick Reply: Doors not auto-unlocking