C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor brake issue after car wash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist
Default Minor brake issue after car wash...

Like most people, after I wash my car, ('13 GS), I dry it thoroughly.

If I run it around the community for a few minutes, and hit the brakes a few times before putting it in the garage, there's no issue.

The brake rotors are clean, shiny, and dry.

However, if I wash and dry the car, and drive it directly into the garage, the rotors will develop a film of rust very quickly. Of course this is to be expected.

What concerns me is the next time I go to use the car, (perhaps a day or two later), put the stick in reverse, lift the clutch pedal, and slowly start to back up, the wheels feel locked for a second, like the parking brake is on.

Then lifting the clutch further with a little more power the "seal" between the brake pads and rotors, caused by the rust, is broken with a snapping sound.

I don't imagine any damage is done, it just sounds nasty. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks...
Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Normal. I drive it for a few minuets after the wash to solve the issue.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,186 Posts

Your E brake is a drums within the rear rotor's, not the pads that make contact to the rotor surfaces that the pad do.

Having said this, and the fact that your E brake C shape brake shoe may still be tight to the drums, could just be light rusting, dry, or not enough wear to the drum or shoes that is causing the slight binding as you disengage the E brake and move the car.

The drums and shoes will wear over time, and as they loosen up to each other, the problem should solve itself.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Everytime I wash my car and leave it overnight. A lot of iron in those rotors.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:50 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

My '13 does the same thing. It's the e-brake. I usually pull it on lightly during the post-wash drive for 50-100 feet to warm the shoes and drum to get rid of the moisture. Occasionally, it'll also grab lightly when I'm backing out of the garage, then release.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:37 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Haven't noticed it on my Vette but my truck is another story. After it sits overnight after I have driven it in the rain, I really have to give it some gas and then the brakes "snap" loose. Just happened to me today.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:51 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

I appreciate all the feedback.

I didn't know it was the e-brake since I fully released it before starting to move the car. At least I thought it was fully released.

Didn't realize it was the e-brake that was sticking, and not the pads, and rotors.

Live and learn. A thread like this doesn't attract as many posts as chrome vs. black wheels, but it's a lot more informative.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:20 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

My'06 MN6 does the same thing if parked with wet brakes, and the e-brake is not set, the car is just left in reverse.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Harry
My'06 MN6 does the same thing if parked with wet brakes, and the e-brake is not set, the car is just left in reverse.
Yes, I've had the same experience, just leaving the car in reverse, w/o the e-brake set, that's why I felt it was the pads adhering to the rusty rotors.

So...

But, it's good to know that it's a common issue, and doesn't cause any damage.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:52 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same reason I don't like leaving e brake on over winter storage.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:57 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's normal. Practically any car will do it.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:11 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Park it in reverse, and do not apply the emergency brake. Has happened to me a few times too.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:45 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Hameister
Like most people, after I wash my car, ('13 GS), I dry it thoroughly.

If I run it around the community for a few minutes, and hit the brakes a few times before putting it in the garage, there's no issue.

The brake rotors are clean, shiny, and dry.

However, if I wash and dry the car, and drive it directly into the garage, the rotors will develop a film of rust very quickly. Of course this is to be expected.

What concerns me is the next time I go to use the car, (perhaps a day or two later), put the stick in reverse, lift the clutch pedal, and slowly start to back up, the wheels feel locked for a second, like the parking brake is on.

Then lifting the clutch further with a little more power the "seal" between the brake pads and rotors, caused by the rust, is broken with a snapping sound.

I don't imagine any damage is done, it just sounds nasty. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks...
I have noticed this with every car I have owned that had disc brakes but have always wondered about it. I just assumed it was normal and according to the other threads here, it is.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 PM
corvettejack
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok what I`ve been doing is I clean and polish and wax my wheels then when I wash my car I cover my wheels with plastic trash bags so they don`t get wet same thing next time I wash the car cover the wheels I just go over the wheels with polish much easier than washing and drying and then dealing with the rotor rust .

Get notified of new replies

To Minor brake issue after car wash...

Quick Reply: Minor brake issue after car wash...