C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grand Sport and GT-R, an owner's review.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:01 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameister

Nope, no need to continue, you've proved my point. Swat!
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Is that you? haha

Originally Posted by Hameister
Wasting your breath Doc....all you had to say was the fact that the car attracted more attention than your 'vette, and you are instantly labeled an egomaniac, a person who is self-centered, conceited, and starved for attention.

Like I said before, ignore, then occasionally, swat!
It wasnt that it attracted more attention. It was that he went in to very detailed experiences with that instead of just saying "It gets more attention." He set me straight and I have no doubt he bought it for his own enjoyment. There are others who do buy stuff for the looks from others, for those people I feel very sorry.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy47
pardon me. i guess i'm sorta like you, living in the back woods not getting out much too play with those city boys.
You might live in the backwoods and don't get out much but don't confuse you with other people.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Black96WS6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review, however it's still too new to you. You're in the honeymoon phase and will overlook things that will start to get on your nerves after you've owned the car a while.

Come back in 12 months with another review and we'll see what (if anything) has changed
Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
GET OFF MY LAWN!

Is that you? haha

It wasnt that it attracted more attention. It was that he went in to very detailed experiences with that instead of just saying "It gets more attention." He set me straight and I have no doubt he bought it for his own enjoyment. There are others who do buy stuff for the looks from others, for those people I feel very sorry.
I hear ya...

How anyone can say the GT-R looks like a Maxima/Altima is beyond me.

Especially fully dressed like this one...

Notice, the black wheels...
Attached Images   
Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

For me I am just not a fan, but I do respect the car. Doesnt look like the other NISSANs out there, at least not to me. Ray Charles might think it looks the same.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:43 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Reminds me of the old jingle "my dog's better than your dog".....
Old 04-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
For me I am just not a fan, but I do respect the car. Doesnt look like the other NISSANs out there, at least not to me. Ray Charles might think it looks the same.
I'd love to own the new 2015 GT-R Nismo, but it's just out of my price range.
I'm retired, and financially comfortable, but not enough to drop $160k.

Nope, I'll drive my tired ol' '13 GS, for another 4 or 5 years and wait for the C7 GS.
I'm sure that GM will produce them.

They made a lotta money on the the C6 GS from '10 to '13, so they know there is a strong market for that body style.
I doubt they'll pass up the oppertunity to repeat those sales.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:13 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
If it's necessary to manually shift any auto....you more than likely have both hands on the wheel.
That doesn't really answer the question, though. You can't presume that paddle shifting will ONLY or even MOSTLY occur when the car is pointed straight. I've only had my GS w/paddle since 14 April, and I've discovered a couple of places where one hand is next to a paddle, but the other is at some other position on the wheel.

Perhaps I don't see it like you do because I'm almost ambidextrous, so either hand is willing and able to either push the paddle in or out. It seems much easier to train either hand that 'push with thumb' is an up-shift and 'push with four fingers' is a downshift.

If there's any engineering rationale, I'd love to hear it.

Steven
Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
That doesn't really answer the question, though. You can't presume that paddle shifting will ONLY or even MOSTLY occur when the car is pointed straight. I've only had my GS w/paddle since 14 April, and I've discovered a couple of places where one hand is next to a paddle, but the other is at some other position on the wheel.

Perhaps I don't see it like you do because I'm almost ambidextrous, so either hand is willing and able to either push the paddle in or out. It seems much easier to train either hand that 'push with thumb' is an up-shift and 'push with four fingers' is a downshift.

If there's any engineering rationale, I'd love to hear it.

Steven
All true auto "race cars" have upshift on the right and downshift on the left. Indy...Formula 1, Ferrai and so on. It's not my opinion, it's the way of the world.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
All true "race cars" have upshift on the right and downshift on the left. It's not my opinion, it's the way of the world.
That's an interesting point, but we're not talking about a race car - this is a street car. All true "race cars" have all kinds of features that aren't found on street cars.

So it sounds like there's a convention for it with most race cars, and there's no real reason that the Corvette design is 'wrong' other than the fact that it doesn't conform to that race car convention.

OK. Question answered.

Steven
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
this is a pretty good initial breakdown from GTR-life
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...cial-gt-r-faq/
Did I read that right "Japanese GT-R's are speed limited via GPS when off-track".

*cough* police state *cough*.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Arclight
Advanced

GTR is a fabulous car-that said,IMO, the BIG downside is maintenance. It is NOT a DYI car. The transmission is very expensive to service and without the Nissan computer you cannot adjust the clutches.

Its bad enough to have to take any car to the dealer-but when you have to drop off a car that the maintenance staff is just dying to run the **** out of as well as being charged 75--YES SEVENTY FIVE DOLLARS a QUART for the trans fluid-yes you can buy it yourself cheaper but there are many MANDATORY service items that MUST be performed for future warranty work.Then you have to worry about a car porter doing donuts in the back lot!! There has been trans warranty denied for "abuse" using the launch system too.(this has apparently been addressed) And the GTR is a true sequential manual gearbox,the paddles in a Corvette are shifting an automatic transmission-even the future Z06 is going to be based around automatic trans design.

IMO, its an apples and orange comparison. The GTR is a fast car.0-60 is absolutely amazing.The build quality is exceptional. But you cannot deny that the maintenance is supercar expensive. After owning 2 Porsche 911's and a 09 MB C63, I am used to paying high dealer maintenance costs. The Nissan dealer support was the only thing that put me off. The techs simply don't see enough off them to be proficient. And ownership "AFTER" warranty is financial suicide.

I love my 13 Grand Sport but there is no comparison to the GTR or the ZR1 from a performance standpoint.

Last edited by Arclight; 04-28-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: can't spell.....
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Bushum
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan

That doesn't really answer the question, though. You can't presume that paddle shifting will ONLY or even MOSTLY occur when the car is pointed straight

Steven
Assuming you use the paddles mainly for spirited driving why are you shifting when the car is in a turn? Driving 101, don't unbalance the car by shifting in a turn. I don't know how the corvette does it but most manufacturers mess up paddle shifters. They should be installed on the column and not the wheel so they are always in the same spot.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Blue Force
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Comparing a GT-R to a GS is not comparing Apples to Apples. A more appropriate comparison would be either a Z06 or ZR1.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Great review. The GT-R is in a totally different league from a GS. Other than the V8 sound and low end instant torque and more "pretty" exterior, the GT-R wins in every way. Unless you want a 3 pedals car, like me, then you're "stuck" with a Vette
Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

My son-in-law is a Nissan exec and has had the opportunity to drive both a GT-R and the (rare) Juke-R. He has also driven my ProCharged C6. He says that 0-60 the GT-R is quicker (expected) but from 60 on up, he thinks the C6 is faster (unexpected).

He said the Juke-R would eat everyone's lunch!

There are probably a dozen GT-R's around here.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Track Monster
Did I read that right "Japanese GT-R's are speed limited via GPS when off-track".

*cough* police state *cough*.
can't really say for sure since i'm not a GT-R owner nor do i follow the details of it. Guess it's a safety thing more than anything.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Grand Sport and GT-R, an owner's review.....

Old 04-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Arclight
Advanced

Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
can't really say for sure since i'm not a GT-R owner nor do i follow the details of it. Guess it's a safety thing more than anything.
Just FYI, ALL Japanese domestic vehicles are limited to 112 mph. The GTR does indeed electronically remove the limiter on GPS located, closed circuits.

112?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:02 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

50 to 70 grand corvette grand sport versus a 100 to 150 grand GTR?

Looks. Top off motoring?

And you want to go faster ? Then get a z06 or zR1....

Forget about cost of ownership comparisons with the GTR ..

The grand sport corvette is basically change the oil for under 100 dollars every 8000 miles, add gas and replace tires very 15 to 20000 miles...

The GTR running costs to 100000 miles will make grown men cry....(kidding$) and it is a substantial cost to maintain over 100000.

The corvette is carefree fun.....and the GTR is an expensive mistress.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-29-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerriVette
50 to 70 grand corvette grand sport versus a 100 to 150 grand GTR?

Looks. Top off motoring?

And you want to go faster ? Then get a z06 or zR1....

Forget about cost of ownership comparisons with the GTR ..

The grand sport corvette is basically change the oil for under 100 dollars every 8000 miles, add gas and replace tires very 15 to 20000 miles...

The GTR running costs to 100000 miles will make grown men cry....(kidding$) and it is a substantial cost to maintain over 100000.

The corvette is carefree fun.....and the GTR is an expensive mistress.
Your right, but remember, there are lottsa folks out there to whom $2,000 or $3,000 a year for maintenance is not a problem.
It means no more to them, then $200 or $300 a year means to you.

A guy with a $350,000 Lamborghini, considers a $2,500 tune up, pocket change.

Quick Reply: C6 Grand Sport and GT-R, an owner's review.....