C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Booty input

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM
achampagne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wide Booty input

I'm thinking wide "Booty" for next year or as soon as my rear tires wear out. However budget is always somewhat limited and was wondering if anybody could share their experience on the following

1: Total cost (booty only) including fenders and paint (parts & labor)
2: Would you recommend on a Black C6 ? Any paint match issues ?
3: How much should I budget for a new wheel/rubber package ?

From what I can read the Wheel/rubber pkg can add pretty quickly and most likely be higher than the Wide booty mod itself.

Inputs appreciated

Alex
Old 04-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by achampagne
I'm thinking wide "Booty" for next year or as soon as my rear tires wear out. However budget is always somewhat limited and was wondering if anybody could share their experience on the following

1: Total cost (booty only) including fenders and paint (parts & labor)
2: Would you recommend on a Black C6 ? Any paint match issues ?
3: How much should I budget for a new wheel/rubber package ?

From what I can read the Wheel/rubber pkg can add pretty quickly and most likely be higher than the Wide booty mod itself.

Inputs appreciated

Alex
Alex, that's a major undertaking, and a major expense, from which you'll never recover when you decide to sell your car.

Why not consider selling your 'vette, and buying a 2010 Grand Sport?

I think that would make more sense.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:34 PM
achampagne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hameister
Alex, that's a major undertaking, and a major expense, from which you'll never recover when you decide to sell your car.

Why not consider selling your 'vette, and buying a 2010 Grand Sport?

I think that would make more sense.
Hi Hameister,

When I first shopped around for GS model they where 10k-12k more expensive than the base C6. I assumed that Widebooty would be less then that and I have already done extensive interior mods to it :-( .. DO you realy think that Widebooty mod would range that high ?
Old 04-24-2014, 01:35 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going for the wide booty also. Ordered from RPI CF vendor for my black vette. I should see it with in the next week or so. As for install it, I'm doing the install myself and from what I see the quarter panels are a lot easier than the front to install. I'm on a limited budget too and will go for spacers first with the stock wheels next year I'll spring for wheels and rims.

As for selling you car to buy a GS, I wouldn't go that far for a wide body car the cost of just doing the a wide rear is a lot less even if you have it professionally installed.

Go to RPI's web page to get a price I would tell you what I bought it for but I order it two months ago and prices may have changed.

Oh I forgot to tell you that I'm getting the painted version, of course it takes a little long for delivery.

Update: So much for the rear quarter panels RPI burned down.

Last edited by myfunz; 07-28-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

The rear only is the cheapest and can easily be installed yourself to save money.
I started that way, I would say for rear quarters with paint you can probably get by about $1700
For wheels you can buy aftermarket rears in 12" width from forum vendors to match the front style, or you can use a wheel adapter until you get more coin to change out the wheels.
Probably $500 for rear aftermarket wheels to match front.
Or you can buy a new set for about $900 with widebody rear and base body fronts (aftermarket of course)

Makes me laugh when I hear people spend your money and tell you to buy a new car.
Tires you would have to buy anyway, but you can do the rear booty for about $2700 Let the forum members telling you to go buy a GS fund you the difference from $2700 to what it would actually cost you to buy one.

I had mine pre painted originally in black and didn't have an issue with color match.

Last edited by mcandrew67; 04-24-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Hi Hameister,

When I first shopped around for GS model they where 10k-12k more expensive than the base C6. I assumed that Widebooty would be less then that and I have already done extensive interior mods to it :-( .. DO you realy think that Widebooty mod would range that high ?
I don't know what year 'vette you have?
I don't know how much you already have invested in it?
I don't know your budget?

All I do know is this...you can find a 2010 GS garage queen, with low mileage in excellent condition for around $38k.

Now research what your 'vette is worth, how much the wide body kit will cost, the labor to install and paint it, the new wheels and tires, you'll need, unless you want to use spacers, which defeat the purpose of going wide body.

Now compare all that expense, and effort, less the depreciation you'll suffer when you sell it, to approx. $38k for a '10 GS.

Your decision.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:47 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by myfunz
I'm going for the wide booty also. Ordered from RIP CF vendor for my black vette. I should see it with in the next week or so. As for install it, I'm doing the install myself and from what I see the quarter panels are a lot easier than the front to install. I'm on a limited budget too and will go for spacers first with the stock wheels next year I'll spring for wheels and rims.

As for selling you car to buy a GS, I wouldn't go that far for a wide body car the cost of just doing the a wide rear is a lot less even if you have it professionally installed.

Go to RIP's web page to get a price I would tell you what I bought it for but I order it two months ago and prices may have changed.

Oh I forgot to tell you that I'm getting the painted version, of course it takes a little long for delivery.
Think you mean RPI, don't think they or you would appreciate you killing them off before you got your parts

Last edited by mcandrew67; 04-24-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM
myfunz
Drifting

One other note the kit comes complete with inner wheel wells, brake ducts, splash guards and hardware.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Think you mean RPI, don't think they or you would appreciate you killing them off before you got your parts
Yes you are correct, I think I waited long enough for it don't want to jinks it.

Update: So much for the rear quarter panels RPI burned down.

Last edited by myfunz; 07-28-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:01 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I agree, with the RPI Design. They will ship them to you as a complete kit and already painted to match. As far as wheels go, there are plenty of vendors that sell reproduction wheels. If you have OME wheels on now all you will need to do is change the rears. Tires that is another issue. I would not mix and match fronts and rears. If you have the Goodyear's RF on then you can change to a set of the 325/30/19 and you are all set. If you don't have the OME tires, your selection for the rear tires are a lot more limited then that of the base model.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I like the wide body look and am considering it as well. Any thoughts on just doing the rear and not the front?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
achampagne
Instructor

I don't know what year 'vette you have?
I don't know how much you already have invested in it?
I don't know your budget?

All I do know is this...you can find a 2010 GS garage queen, with low mileage in excellent condition for around $38k.

Now research what your 'vette is worth, how much the wide body kit will cost, the labor to install and paint it, the new wheels and tires, you'll need, unless you want to use spacers, which defeat the purpose of going wide body.

Now compare all that expense, and effort, less the depreciation you'll suffer when you sell it, to approx. $38k for a '10 GS.

Your decision.

38K for garage queen GS ? that sounds a bit low ?

Already have around 4K invested (seats, audio etc..) + Bassni's Aft Cat system which I love.

Unless I go south of the border all I can find is high 40's for a 2010.

I will do the math once I gather all my info.

Thank for you input

A
Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

...Makes me laugh when I hear people spend your money and tell you to buy a new car.... Let the forum members telling you to go buy a GS fund you the difference from $2700 to what it would actually cost you to buy one...
You make disparaging remarks without applying some common sense.

I made those suggestions because we know nothing about the OPs car,...nothing!

If it's a 2005, in average condition, with 90,000 miles on the clock, and worth about $23k, then the kit to obtain the look he wants is viable.

However, if he has a 2009, in excellent condition, that he can sell for about $35k, and he can buy a clean 2010 for $38~$39k, does it make any sense at all to go with the mods you describe?

Not to me it doesn't....that's all I'm saying, weigh the alternatives.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:24 PM
achampagne
Instructor

The rear only is the cheapest and can easily be installed yourself to save money.
I started that way, I would say for rear quarters with paint you can probably get by about $1700
For wheels you can buy aftermarket rears in 12" width from forum vendors to match the front style, or you can use a wheel adapter until you get more coin to change out the wheels.
Probably $500 for rear aftermarket wheels to match front.
Or you can buy a new set for about $900 with widebody rear and base body fronts (aftermarket of course)

Makes me laugh when I hear people spend your money and tell you to buy a new car.
Tires you would have to buy anyway, but you can do the rear booty for about $2700 Let the forum members telling you to go buy a GS fund you the difference from $2700 to what it would actually cost you to buy one.

I had mine pre painted originally in black and didn't have an issue with color match.
MCandrew67: 1700 pre painted ? How is the color match ? Did you have to send fuel door for better match ? I was also told that the shape of the fuel door needs to be modified. Is that the case ? Any pictures so far ?
Old 04-24-2014, 02:29 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
I like the wide body look and am considering it as well. Any thoughts on just doing the rear and not the front?
Two of our club members have widen their rears and don't plan on doing the front. I think it looks good.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

38K for garage queen GS ? that sounds a bit low ?

Already have around 4K invested (seats, audio etc..) + Bassni's Aft Cat system which I love.

Unless I go south of the border all I can find is high 40's for a 2010.

I will do the math once I gather all my info.

Thank for you input

A
We were typing, posting at the same time.

I do not know where you live, but brand new left over 2013 Grand Sports, can be purchased for the $49 to $53k range.

Clean 2010 cars are around $38k ~ $40k now. The key here is how much is your present 'vette worth? I still have no idea. Neither does anyone else, trying to give you advise.

Based on the present value of yours, you can make a decision to either go with the mods, or buy a 2010....it's a matter of simple economics.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM
achampagne
Instructor

If it's a 2005, in average condition, with 90,000 miles on the clock, and worth about $23k, then the kit to obtain the look he wants is viable.

However, if he has a 2009, in excellent condition, that he can sell for about $35k, and he can buy a clean 2010 for $38~$39k, does it make any sense at all to go with the mods you describe?

For the record 2011 C6 MN6 1LT BLACK

Get notified of new replies

To Wide Booty input

Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I said it makes me laugh, how is that a disparaging remark? What I find funny also is all the people who give advice on wide bodies/wide booties etc that have never done it.
The cost of a wide booty will always be cheaper than buying a GS, especially if you need new tires anyway. Which is when I did mine, at new tire time.
Since then I have just gone over board, I made mine what it is today for me, I don't give a crap about resale as it's not for sale.

MCandrew67: 1700 pre painted ? How is the color match ? Did you have to send fuel door for better match ? I was also told that the shape of the fuel door needs to be modified. Is that the case ? Any pictures so far ?
I did mine years ago, I have since done a complete widebody and color change to my car.
RPI is $1699 for painted quarter panels. I have read good things about the match.
Mine was done in Orlando, I had them painted and installed without a fuel door to match and the match was perfect.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

For the record 2011 C6 MN6 1LT BLACK
Ahhh, well, in that case, I'd definitely look around before making the commitment to mod.

According to the KBB your 'vette is worth around $35k on a private sale, if it's in excellent condition, with average mileage.

A 2011 Grand Sport, also in excellent condition, on a private sale is worth around $41k.
If these figures are accurate for your area, (may be higher of lower), you'll have to decide if the difference of $6k is worth all the mods.

Again, that's your call....what ever you do, good luck!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

We were typing, posting at the same time.

I do not know where you live, but brand new left over 2013 Grand Sports, can be purchased for the $49 to $53k range.

Clean 2010 cars are around $38k ~ $40k now. The key here is how much is your present 'vette worth? I still have no idea. Neither does anyone else, trying to give you advise.

Based on the present value of yours, you can make a decision to either go with the mods, or buy a 2010....it's a matter of simple economics.
Well maybe you should have asked what year car and option package first. Even then, a 2005 with 90K miles Maybe the OP was or is not in the position to simply go out an purchase a $38K car. The kit is $1,700 plus a set of wheels and tires is a lot less the $38K.

Quick Reply: Wide Booty input