C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What headers will bolt to stock midpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM
chevnut55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What headers will bolt to stock midpipe?

Im thinking about buying headers only (no xpipe)for my 13 grand sport.
I want them to bolt up like a manifold replacement part.
I wanted to buy a OBX header x pipe kit but the only make them 09 down.
It seem either 09 down or expensive to buy everything and do not want to cut weld adapt anything.
I installed a A&A kit and have a appointment with the tuner next week so I need to make this as fast , cheap and easy as possible.
I asked a lot and did research but no clear answers .
I almost bought a few used sets but they were either 09 down and I know they will bolt up but need to cut/weld/adapt the x pipe.
The place who sells OBX kit on this site says it will not even fit a 13 G/S . some say because of the dry sump others say they are not sure.
I got a week and under $800.00 to spend..should I give up and have a tuned s/c car with the stock manifolds and npp exhaust?
I will need to stay that way for a few or more years as Im moving and buying a house.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

you have a nice car and looks like you had a plan but you have fell short on funds to complete your combo. i would not install a sc with a stock exhaust system. you need to put everything on hold until you can afford to do it right. good luck!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

If you can swing a little extra you could buy the z06 mufflers for sale for 375 shipped right now in the parts for sale section http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...r.php?u=387293 and get an obx or similar z06 setup and be 3" all the way to the back.

You could then sell your factory mufflers to recoup a good bit of the cost if you already have npp.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I am not sure that you will find any headers that are a simply bolt on the the stock exhaust system. But if you spent good money on a SC I would not want the stock exhaust system on the car. Try and save up a few more dollars and get a set of long tubes and either the matching X-pipe or have the muffler shop mod your stock H-pipe.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Buy a complete headers/mid pipe/axleback USED?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM
chevnut55
Racer

Thanks guys. Its too late now I installed the supercharger a few months ago, the only tuner around had over a month wait, bringing it in on the 5th to tune /dyno.
I doubt I would get a used set if I could find one on time, but have been looking since the beginning of the year with no luck just overpriced or 09 down.
I am told the stock exhaust will work fine, more power bottom end less power high end, but stock sucks.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I have been with a supercharger and stock exhaust for about 15 months. Full exhaust and smaller pulley go on next month. Just bite the bullet and get a full exhaust.

You have to pay to play.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I have been with a supercharger and stock exhaust for about 15 months. Full exhaust and smaller pulley go on next month. Just bite the bullet and get a full exhaust.

You have to pay to play.
yep...he needs to beg, borrow or even steal one...just don't stick with stock with a supercharger.
chevnut55 you need to keep in mind that if you get a tune now with the stock exhaust you will need a retune if/when you swap it out.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:29 PM
chevnut55
Racer

I know, that's why I was trying to get a exhaust before the tune but the wife put a stop on that after I bought the supercharger , I should not have told her I needed a tune too.
I need to put all my money into the move so I have to wait and have it re- tuned someday.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:07 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tune it w/ the blower and stock exhaust. Once you find the right set of headers, just have it re-tuned. A good tuner wont charge you much for a re-tune like that.

Who knows, the car might scare the crap out of you as it is and you won't want headers
Old 04-24-2014, 04:21 PM
vforrest
Racer

Originally Posted by JAvery20
Tune it w/ the blower and stock exhaust. Once you find the right set of headers, just have it re-tuned. A good tuner wont charge you much for a re-tune like that.

Who knows, the car might scare the crap out of you as it is and you won't want headers

I have had my SC for a month on stock headers, pipes...Borla S Type II axle backs that only change the noise and I love it. And JAvery20 isn't WRONG at all about "scare the crap" out of you either! It is a beast when over night you have 150 extra RWHP to learn how to play with. Don't know what the A&A is like but my roots blower is a torque monster and can really break loose the wheels even with my new skins on. Still learning the limits!

I was/am very concerned about the dreaded drone when I changed my mufflers and thought long and hard about it as I take long road trips and couldn't bare the thought of driving myself crazy with that drone for hours on end...and I love how my choice worked out. My tuner figures with headers and mid pipes I can drop a pulley size because I'll lose boost lbs. with less back pressure and return a net gain of 40-50 RWHP...but it will definitely change my sound to deeper and maybe the right frequency for drone. He would counter that with resonators if I go down that path...who knows, maybe another winter project later this year. Hopefully MUCH later as this last winter really was hard to get through with my car in the shop....

A good tune is unbelievably important...the stock flash was 42 HP less than what he dialed in with his HP tuners so you may be surprised what you will have when your tuner is done even with stock exhaust manifolds.

Have fun!

Last edited by vforrest; 04-24-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
chevnut55
Racer

Slowhawk in ma. is tuning it, he asked if it had the stock exhaust and said good..do not know why.
I just found a z06 obx headers catted x pipe for a ok price, problem is can I pay for it, have it shipped and install it by the 5th? Can not change the tuning appointment I been on the waiting list for almost 2 months.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by chevnut55
Slowhawk in ma. is tuning it, he asked if it had the stock exhaust and said good..do not know why.
Boost could be higher with stock manis' but expect much lower HP and TQ #s.

Get notified of new replies

To What headers will bolt to stock midpipe?

Quick Reply: What headers will bolt to stock midpipe?