C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 PM
former50
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch fluid change

Replaced my clutch slave cylinder fluid today for the first time using the Weaver method that was posted by a fellow member on this site. Super easy to do, and highly recommended. I actually noticed a difference in a smoother shift. Went with the Prestone DOT 4 synthetic available at Wallmart, and the wife's (now mine) turkey baster to draw out the old fluid. Car has 11,000 miles on it and the fluid was original and black in color. Took three cycles of draining and filling to get it nice and clean. Definitely on the list of routine DIY stuff that will be on an as needed basis.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by former50
Replaced my clutch slave cylinder fluid today for the first time using the Weaver method that was posted by a fellow member on this site. Super easy to do, and highly recommended. I actually noticed a difference in a smoother shift. Went with the Prestone DOT 4 synthetic available at Wallmart, and the wife's (now mine) turkey baster to draw out the old fluid. Car has 11,000 miles on it and the fluid was original and black in color. Took three cycles of draining and filling to get it nice and clean. Definitely on the list of routine DIY stuff that will be on an as needed basis.
Having just completed a successful swap of my master cylinder, I will be much more diligent about checking and changing the clutch fluid.

The job isn't terribly difficult, but I don't wanna do it very often.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 AM
KSUPROF
Instructor

I was in the same boat as you ie dirty fluid when we picked up our car (2006 z06) in February. I cycled the entire bottle of Prestone through the reservoirs using the Ranger tech that I learned here on the forum. It took about 8 to 10 cycles before the fluid maintained a light yellow color. I am sure you are aware but watch out about getting fluid on your paint. Use plenty of rags around the work space.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to hear you did the Weaver method to your slave cylinder.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Nice to hear you did the Weaver method to your slave cylinder.
It sounds like he meant master cylinder, I'm not sure who Weaver is but Ranger was one of the first to mention how important it is to R&R the clutch fluid (especially when drag racing and inducing more slippage) as the nature of the slave cylinder being inside the bellhousing clutch dust will get past the seal even with the rubber boot and contaminate the fluid. Regardless replacing only the fluid in the reservoir is really only a half-baked way of doing it and there is a bleeder on the slave where the fluid is dirtiest, but it is difficult to access without a remote bleeder. Which imo should have been installed from the factory, but regardless keeping that fluid as fresh as possible with whatever maintenance is a good idea as I believe the particles eventually contribute to the deterioration of the seals which causes a leaking slave or blowby in the master. Just my 2 cents, hope that helps.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Al Gumby
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, sometimes I loose my patience. I knew exactly what he WANTED to say.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM
former50
Racer

Originally Posted by Al Gumby
Sorry, sometimes I loose my patience. I knew exactly what he WANTED to say.
Sooooo sorry. I'll do my best to be much more precise just for YOU in the future.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,969 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Is the factory fluid that comes in the car DOT 3 or DOT 4? Can you mix the two as you are in the process of cleaning up the system....? My car is a 10 GS that I have had for 2 years and I'm thinking the fluid has never been changed. Got some Super Dot 4 from GM and going to clean it up tomorrow......
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what exactly is the Weaver method? I do the ranger method once a week it seems like
Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskerman
Is the factory fluid that comes in the car DOT 3 or DOT 4? Can you mix the two as you are in the process of cleaning up the system....? My car is a 10 GS that I have had for 2 years and I'm thinking the fluid has never been changed. Got some Super Dot 4 from GM and going to clean it up tomorrow......
Clutch fluid is DOT 4...suck out old, add new, work clutch and change again, do this until clear. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET FLUID ON PAINT!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
former50
Racer

To clarify, it is called the Ranger method, not the Weaver. My mistake, I didn't check my spelling prior to posting.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM
PC2
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clarify, it is called the Ranger method, not the Weaver. My mistake, I didn't check my spelling prior to posting.
I changed my clutch fluid last night using the method described here. It was easy to do and, with proper preparation, little to no clean up was necessary. I did not know I had any clutch issues, but after changing the fluid shifting was smooth and easy. Thank you for sharing the information.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch fluid change

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid change