C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta love "obsolete"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
This past Sunday (Easter) I took my '13 silver 6-speed GS coupe to visit my daughter at her college and take her to lunch.

With the keyless fob in my pocket, I entered my garage and unlocked the car at the touch of the door handle. I took the targa roof out, stored it in the back, and closed the hatch, which latched electrically, perfectly and gently.

I sat in the car and pushed the start button. The LS3 fired immediately and the needles swept over the entire faces of the beautiful electronic analog gauges, just like my motorcycle. I pushed the memory seat button and the power seat and steering column moved into place.

I set the magnetic ride to the tour setting.

I set the auto climate control to 68, the factory GPS to her apartment address, the XM satellite radio to Margaritaville, then backed out of the garage and closed the door with my Homelink button.

I took the freeway most of the trip. I watched my speed and the navigation directions on the HUD. I used the trip computer to monitor my mpg in the DIC. I cruised at 65 mph, turning about 1500 rpm and averaging about 27 mpg.

As I approached my daughter's apt I used the Bluetooth to call her, which worked flawlessly. We had a wonderful lunch and as we left the restaurant a father and son told us what a beautiful Corvette we had.

After dropping her off I used some secondary roads to get home so I could play a little, enjoy the handling of the GS and also enjoy hearing the NPP exhaust.

I arrived back home around 4 hours later, smiling and really happy with the beauty, comfort, convenience, fuel economy and performance available in my "obsolete" automobile.
You are so CORRECT! I totally agree.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Freedmilk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Corvette generation will be obsolete. Within time they will develop fans to appreciate the mystique of the car. The C6 served its time to become established as a very popular generation for years to come as wells as other generations. Now its the C7 time to grow and make its mark in the long history or the Vette.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedmilk
No Corvette generation will be obsolete. Within time they will develop fans to appreciate the mystique of the car. The C6 served its time to become established as a very popular generation for years to come as wells as other generations. Now its the C7 time to grow and make its mark in the long history or the Vette.
I couldn't agree more. 61 years and counting, with no end in sight. Short of a few odd ball customs, I like all Corvettes, any shortcomings are outweighed by the overall desirability of the cars. If I was loaded, I'd have a sizeable collection, as many well off folks do, and I would drive them regularly.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:42 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ck9887
Have you driven a C7 personally? From what I've read, going into 4cyl mode is quite noticeable and a nuisance to some.
I have since I recently traded my C6 for a C7. It's not noticeable and certainly not a nuisance.

I was part of the anti-Camaro taillight crowd and had lots of other reasons why I didn't like the C7 and wouldn't buy one. Then I went and looked at one and drove it. I came home without my '08 coupe and with a new C7 vert.

The hilarity of C7 owners bashing the C6 is surpassed only by the hilarity of C6 owners bashing the C7 (lots more of the latter because there are lots more C6 owners than C7 owners.)

They're all Corvettes and all great cars. Why do so many have to bash whatever generation they don't personally own? I don't understand that.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

[QUOTE=scott1094;1586740393]Can't believe it's been three pages and 53 posts and no one said PICTURES OF DAUGHTER!
O.P. just kidding, have a 36 year old daughter and three grand kids so I understand not including a picture.

Scott[/QUOTE

As the OP I am (nicely) surprised at all the responses to my post. And when I used the word "obsolete" I was really commenting about all the technology that GM ended up offering in the '13 C6's, and kidding about the comment last year by Mr. Tadge Juchter when he called the C6 obsolete . . . I meant nothing bad about the C7.

As far as a picture of my 19 y.o daughter . . . well she is actually a pretty cute 5'4" blonde, but with all those wackos from the C7 forum trolling here I don't think its a good idea.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Boy did Tadge screw up with the obsolete comment. Will he ever live it down? I'm sure he regrets it and wishes he chose his words more carefully. But it's old news now.

If you like your C6 just enjoy it that's all that matters. I have a '13 that I bought after the C7 reveal. Some people thought I was nuts not to get the C7, but for me it was the right move. No regrets and I'm happier than a pig in slop when driving it.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:56 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty
Boy did Tadge screw up with the obsolete comment. Will he ever live it down? I'm sure he regrets it and wishes he chose his words more carefully. But it's old news now.

If you like your C6 just enjoy it that's all that matters. I have a '13 that I bought after the C7 reveal. Some people thought I was nuts not to get the C7, but for me it was the right move. No regrets and I'm happier than a pig in slop when driving it.
Kinda like the move I made…… after having left the Corvette world 7 yrs ago, I see all the promo on the C7, the blood begins moving again….I go out and buy a low mileage 12 GS! All the Vette I need and it catches a lot of looks just as if she were brand new!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 AM
fuel-guy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember looking for my C2. I came across a 63 Split window where some one had cut the split part out to make it look like the new 64. I guess they thought the 63 was obsolete.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty

He may end up with more grief now that 8 speed is announced for all of the c7's...Not only did he deny that in the beginning GM let the cat out early enough to out a dent in 14 auto sales if the perspective buyers pay attention..(which based on what goes on up there now more than a few don't)

But he we know cars salesman are politicians at heart.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Yep, life's all about being happy with what you have.
I agree, I love the C7, GS, Z06, but I got a base C6. I'm good with that. When I wash it, drive it and just look at it she still makes me smile. I cant afford a different Vette at this time, so I'm grateful I have one.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:38 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
I agree, I love the C7, GS, Z06, but I got a base C6. I'm good with that. When I wash it, drive it and just look at it she still makes me smile. I cant afford a different Vette at this time, so I'm grateful I have one.
Speaking of which I just washed my obsolescence...now lets go riding...

Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 PM
2013 427
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Good story....How I can tell if they are getting "old" cough, is to park it at a dealership and look around at other cars...When I glance back at what I rode up there in I ask does it look old and dated? There is no lying if it does lol. When I looked at the c7 and looked back at mine the answer was not no but hell no. She still looked nice and hot..

I still get complements and looks and questions just as I did before the c7...

And its all good.
Obsolete? I would say more like "classic American muscle". I can tell you that my 427 drew way more attention than the c7 parked right next to it.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Yamanator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Speaking of which I just washed my obsolescence...now lets go riding...

I'm not a chrome guy but white looks awesome with any rim. Nice looking car.

I have a white C7 on order, but it's from a small dealer and it's not going to happen so waiting to see what they will do for 2015 for people who have actual orders in. Stupid GM and their system. Instead I bought a 2013 night race blue GS. I love this car. Very cool.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:07 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Yamanator
I'm not a chrome guy but white looks awesome with any rim. Nice looking car.

I have a white C7 on order, but it's from a small dealer and it's not going to happen so waiting to see what they will do for 2015 for people who have actual orders in. Stupid GM and their system. Instead I bought a 2013 night race blue GS. I love this car. Very cool.
Thanks and enjoy your car....I like chrome on some colors and white is one for me though painted silver looks good too...
Old 04-26-2014, 04:25 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice story, what's funny is I have an 05 convertible which obviously does not have any radio/phone controls available on the steering wheel which for a lot of people today would be "awful" to live without. I just got rig of my Chevy Sonic which had too many issues and bought a 2013 Subaru BRZ which also does not have any controls on the steering wheel, doesn't bother me at all and I someday would like an old car with crank down windows and bench seats. Guess I'm just an old fart!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Freedmilk
Well said...
Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I get a laugh out of every post over on the C7 forum that label any generation corvette previous to the C7 is somehow obsolete...old technology, dated etc are common comments. Many, not all of course, condiscending C7 owners somehow think that they have finally "arrived" now that they drive a C7, and can't tolerate any negative posts about their C7, but they sure are quick to point out lesser corvette owners with non C7's. I think it must make them feel better about themselves to criticize someone who doesn't have a C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Gotta love "obsolete"

Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013 427
Obsolete? I would say more like "classic American muscle". I can tell you that my 427 drew way more attention than the c7 parked right next to it.
They are Corvettes…… both drivers are very fortunate!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013 427
I doubt it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Red08
I get a laugh out of every post over on the C7 forum that label any generation corvette previous to the C7 is somehow obsolete...old technology, dated etc are common comments. Many, not all of course, condiscending C7 owners somehow think that they have finally "arrived" now that they drive a C7, and can't tolerate any negative posts about their C7, but they sure are quick to point out lesser corvette owners with non C7's. I think it must make them feel better about themselves to criticize someone who doesn't have a C7.
Truth...

Quick Reply: Gotta love "obsolete"