C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know how to clear possibly embarrassing computer data post accident?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Ragnar Lothbrook
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pencils down…

What started out as a alternatively worded request for technical information and academic exercise turned into something quite different...

Most responses were great and I appreciate the thought and sometimes lighthearted humor you put into them. What astounded me however was the level of comfort, nay.. enthusiasm some of you have for the big brother software riding shotgun as a stowaway you did not order in your exceptional motorcars. Did you check the boxes, 1LT, 2LT, please watch me…?

In an environment where the automotive industry is increasingly influenced and in many cases run to satisfy the desires of politicians, this alarms me. Need an example? Try the Chevy Volt… Do you have any idea how much you pay for those masterpieces? The level of subsidy provided because the administration said we must have this car regardless of market demand, practicality of unproven technology, cost or efficiency? Do you think any of these people really got going to agree that you "need " a super car?

To each his own, and I don't mean to paint anyone into a position that they do not embrace. I just tend towards a perspective that the more laws and more security cameras good morning any state technology exists, the less freedom you have. The technology already exists to control your car via GPS, to say… Establish a floating governor based on the road you were on. 25 mph in a school zone, 70 mph on the highway, etc. and never let you see those limits. Are we okay with that? Should we be okay with that? Sadly, many of the Corvettes I see on the road don't appear to ever break 50 miles an hour, they're heavily chromed "look at me vehicles", driven by people that do not utilize the otherworldly performance available.

Be careful what you wish for, Flo from Progressive Insurance would sure like to put one of those little white tattletale devices on your OBDII port to "save you money"… Wait! My new bill went up dramatically and instead of my safe driver discount there's a line that says "double-plus un-good"… What's that about Flo?

I think we all need to navigate these treacherous waters carefully. As for me, I am heading to the longboats to sail west to North Umbria to finish something I started and find new lands to conquer. I may leave a wake during the journey, which may offend some of you but please try to understand, one size and one speed limit does not fit all :-)

PS. I am also looking for a vehicle with a more towing capacity than the Corvette so that I may take my unicorns on vacations with me. Any suggestions…?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter's Dad
Walter White used strong magnets to erase data. Got him out of a big jam.
Nice. I'm re-watching the series. Surprised to find that it is just as good, if not better, the second time.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Too late, Big Gooberment's NSA snooping already got your data.

Hope you had made your large contribution to the DNC!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:26 PM
ILS07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrook
Be careful what you wish for, Flo from Progressive Insurance would sure like to put one of those little white tattletale devices on your OBDII port to "save you money"...
I expect that I'd hear "If you like your auto insurance premium, you can keep it. Period." in that commercial.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What started out as a alternatively worded request for technical information and academic exercise turned into something quite different...

Most responses were great and I appreciate the thought and sometimes lighthearted humor you put into them. What astounded me however was the level of comfort, nay.. enthusiasm some of you have for the big brother software riding shotgun as a stowaway you did not order in your exceptional motorcars. Did you check the boxes, 1LT, 2LT, please watch me…?

In an environment where the automotive industry is increasingly influenced and in many cases run to satisfy the desires of politicians, this alarms me. Need an example? Try the Chevy Volt… Do you have any idea how much you pay for those masterpieces? The level of subsidy provided because the administration said we must have this car regardless of market demand, practicality of unproven technology, cost or efficiency? Do you think any of these people really got going to agree that you "need " a super car?

To each his own, and I don't mean to paint anyone into a position that they do not embrace. I just tend towards a perspective that the more laws and more security cameras good morning any state technology exists, the less freedom you have. The technology already exists to control your car via GPS, to say… Establish a floating governor based on the road you were on. 25 mph in a school zone, 70 mph on the highway, etc. and never let you see those limits. Are we okay with that? Should we be okay with that? Sadly, many of the Corvettes I see on the road don't appear to ever break 50 miles an hour, they're heavily chromed "look at me vehicles", driven by people that do not utilize the otherworldly performance available.

Be careful what you wish for, Flo from Progressive Insurance would sure like to put one of those little white tattletale devices on your OBDII port to "save you money"… Wait! My new bill went up dramatically and instead of my safe driver discount there's a line that says "double-plus un-good"… What's that about Flo?

I think we all need to navigate these treacherous waters carefully. As for me, I am heading to the longboats to sail west to North Umbria to finish something I started and find new lands to conquer. I may leave a wake during the journey, which may offend some of you but please try to understand, one size and one speed limit does not fit all :-)

PS. I am also looking for a vehicle with a more towing capacity than the Corvette so that I may take my unicorns on vacations with me. Any suggestions…?
Run....Run......Run and hide....the drones are coming after you.....just because you are paranoid....doesn't mean they are out to get you.....or maybe they are.....and doesn't the Flo and that questionable Insurance company have a little black box you can use to keep your rates down?
OK you are trying to be serious/deceiving/or whatever....time to move on....very very secertly and ....oh never mind....
ps Flame Red is right on with the DNC
Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 PM
(413) Grand Sport
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by velocity c6
Wonder if it has anything to do with the post from vforrest (lesson learned, scared s$#&less) yesterday??????
Dude!!! Your a genius! I think so too
Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I too enjoyed this thread. It seems we are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to technology in not just our cars but our entire lives. For the most part I embrace it but I am also wary of it. I don't like being watched by the NSA, nor do I want anyone knowing my driving habits. I believe the mandate for devices like this, seatbelt laws, and any other "life saving" rules are a masterfully quiet plot by insurance companies. Through lobbyists and our own congress and senate, we are being manipulated through actuarial tables to further pad the coffers of the insurance we are required by law to pay for. So yeah, we are all victims of pay to play anymore with no hope of any real freedom.

As far as the OP's situation, he paid for insurance, it shouldn't matter what's on the black box. His insurance company has an obligation to pay no matter what. Just my opinion.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

From the C7 manual, it says the approximately 30 seconds of data is stored. This includes air bag deployment, seat belts, throttle position, brakes applied I also believe it will it stores other things like traction control status, active handling, etc.

I really doubt it saves anything from OnStar like voice recording.

Access to the data is limited to authorized individuals such as the manufacturer and law enforcement.

In my opinion, your insurance adjuster will see it was a single car accident caused by driver error and that will be the end of it.

The situation would be different if there was a death or serious injury, in which case, they would want to build a defense by pulling vehicle data.

If you figured out a way to destroy the data recorded, as was previously stated, you would be in bigger trouble so don't do that. People go to jail because of things like that.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:34 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Nice. I'm re-watching the series. Surprised to find that it is just as good, if not better, the second time.
Think I may start over as well. Been on withdraws for the last several months.

I bet kids pay a lot more attention in Chemistry class now after this show.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 AM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 78 Posts

I was kind of curious about what a boomerang-shaped C6 Corvette looks like, any chance of a photo?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM
kimdjay
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it funny that you have already shared the fact that you have something to hide to every single person in the world by posting it on the internet. I think the cat is already out of the bag.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You started out sounding odd with this James Bond story of yours. The above is ridiculous.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

hook up a high amp charger in series with the battery to fry all the electronics
Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 AM
subseawellhead
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
hmmmmm sounds to me like he doesn't want the mrs getting her hands on the details of this accident
Babysitters feet on the overhead Onstar, screaming "yes yes yes"
Pics of babysitter please
Old 04-24-2014, 12:00 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

May be facing 5 to 10 for c6 abuse. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Why add to your trouble by trying to hide something? It never turns out good.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

A small nuke's EMP will take care of it...

Quick Reply: Anybody know how to clear possibly embarrassing computer data post accident?