C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "Reduced Engine Power" victim

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 AM
ILS07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen_B
My truck only has about 18k miles on it though...

/r

Allen
Ah. My Silverado was at 45k miles or so when it happened. You could always take it in and ask them about it. The guy showed me the statement from GM and it was one of those "if someone has this problem, we'll fix it" things. There may be a test they can run to simulate the conditions of the fail.

They determined the cause and had it replaced in just over an hour.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your plug wires. I had one of mine come apart at 1500 miles on my 2011. Replaced with LS1 MSD 8.8s; problem solved.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Brigade
Check your plug wires. I had one of mine come apart at 1500 miles on my 2011. Replaced with LS1 MSD 8.8s; problem solved.
I would not have considered plug wires based on the symptoms- the car idles smooth as glass. I have been bitten by bad wires and they tend to affect the overall running.

Not discounting them but based on the overall conditions, wouldn't seem to be a contributor.

/r

Allen
Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 PM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ILS07
I feel your pain. This happened in my 2010 Silverado just a couple of months ago while I was on my way to Tulsa, OK. I was passing someone in the left lane (had cruise on) and it felt like I hit an 80 MPH headwind out of nowhere...everything went nuts after that with "ENGINE POWER REDUCED", "TRACTION OFF" and "SERVICE STABILITRAK" messages on the DIC, and it also went into V4 mode and wouldn't come out of it (that was the most annoying thing).

I limped to Jim Norton Chevy in Broken Arrow and it turned out to be the TPS. There was a "special" recall for it, and by special the guy said that it was a known issue, but GM said it was not a big enough issue to recall the fleet for replacement parts. I'm really glad they were open on a Saturday.

Best of luck on the quickest, least expensive solution.
By TPS, do you mean the Tire Pressure (Monitoring) System? If yes, can you give me more specifics about the "special" recall? I have had the same problem with my 2010 Coupe and the dealer has replaced plug wires, stating that misfires are causing the messages that you cite above. Also, claims that the problem is not related to the TPMS - my RF tire has been causing a misread of RF XXX since new. Any info you have would be appreciated!!! PM me if that's easier. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ I think he means the Throttle Position Sensor.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

I think TPS in this discussion is "Throttle Position Sensor"

Unless there is some sort of report involved that requires a new cover sheet; I think I got a memo about it...

/r

Allen
Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 PM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
^ I think he means the Throttle Position Sensor.
Oh...thanks. Maybe that's the problem I've been having...
Old 04-22-2014, 09:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Speaking of the gas pedal, that is one place where the problem could be. Reduced engine power can be traced to one of the two sensors attached to the gas pedal. It isn't a 40 part, nor is the labor, but it's less than 500.
This was my first thought also Bill...sounds like it is a problem at one end or the other of the TPS system. The system expects the position of the gas pedal to be similar to the position of the throttle plate...if not......throw a code or two.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 PM
ILS07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen_B
Unless there is some sort of report involved that requires a new cover sheet; I think I got a memo about it...
I love that movie.

And yes, Throttle Position Sensor is the million dollar answer.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Just got off the phone with the shop- failed pedal sensor (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor).

The car is not under warranty but they have fixed it under what they are referring to as a "cost-share" which I do not understand. Don't know what that means but bottom line is it is fixed for under $60...

Have to say again, Sun Harbor Buick/GMC in Old Saybrook CT is now a pretty soild place to do business. I would not have said that a few years ago but the service department is under farily new management (past year or so) and have been excellent!

/r

Allen
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Ding Ding Ding! Congrats to Bill.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That is good news! It isn't under warranty, but to my knowledge, many have failed under warranty and shortly thereafter. Therefore, what I think they're doing is a "goodwill" gesture to reduce your cost, swallow some cost by GM and move on.

Hopefully, whoever is designing and producing these things can eventually get it right so that it doesn't go out in so many cars because it is definitely disconcerting---and at times, dangerous to suddenly lose power and essentially go into limp mode.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AORoads
That is good news! It isn't under warranty, but to my knowledge, many have failed under warranty and shortly thereafter. Therefore, what I think they're doing is a "goodwill" gesture to reduce your cost, swallow some cost by GM and move on.
Kinda what I was suspecting but I wasn't asking questions! I figured it would have been much more just for the labor to have a tech connect the scanner.

Just glad it was simple; the service manager even said it was a quick swap. Even more thankful that it happened on a side road and with me (vice my wife) driving. I-95 running 70+ would have been hair-raising...

/r

Allen

Quick Reply: Another "Reduced Engine Power" victim