C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by DezVette
I just received the CUB Pro-101 unit from Tire Rack. It has a nice grey plastic hard shell case and a t-handle tool that looks like a philips screw driver that I have no idea what that is needed for. Also included are 6 rechargable batteries. Problem is, I have no clue how to open the unit to install the batteries. The users manual only says you need to charge the batteries before use, but gives no clue on how to get them inside the damn unit. LoL Anyone have any idea on how to install the batteries? The unit I have is yellow with a black face and there are no screws or grooves in it to aide in opening. On the back there is a round indentation like you would see in a battery cover lid that you use with pressure from your finger to slide open, but the case does not seem to have anything to slide. The yellow case is definitely two pieces, but they look molded together with a seam that does not want to come apart...

Ideas?

Nevermind: I see now that the yellow shell is just a rubber cover that you have to remove to get to the screws on the back...guess you need to be smarter than the batteries, huh?
The slotted part on the other side of the Philips screw driver end is for pulling/installing the inner's out of the valve stem.

The two nut drivers are for tightening the nut on the valve steam, and as for the USB cable for updating the tool (that is not longer offered), who knows and maybe one of us will get around to making a update for the tool to add in a second Corvette setting instead of using the HHR setting for the 2010 to 2013 vets.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 335 Posts

I just received the CUB Pro-101 unit from Tire Rack. It has a nice grey plastic hard shell case and a t-handle tool that looks like a philips screw driver that I have no idea what that is needed for. Also included are 6 rechargable batteries. Problem is, I have no clue how to open the unit to install the batteries. The users manual only says you need to charge the batteries before use, but gives no clue on how to get them inside the damn unit. LoL Anyone have any idea on how to install the batteries? The unit I have is yellow with a black face and there are no screws or grooves in it to aide in opening. On the back there is a round indentation like you would see in a battery cover lid that you use with pressure from your finger to slide open, but the case does not seem to have anything to slide. The yellow case is definitely two pieces, but they look molded together with a seam that does not want to come apart...

Ideas?

Nevermind: I see now that the yellow shell is just a rubber cover that you have to remove to get to the screws on the back...guess you need to be smarter than the batteries, huh?
Ha....I went thru the same exercise when mine arrived. Kept searching for some way to open the back of the orange cover. Finally called Tire Rack & was politely told to peel off the entire cover....it's for protection in case unit is dropped.....duh!
Old 04-22-2014, 04:27 PM
retaf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ideas?

OK, I was beginning to wonder if you could be trusted with this device!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Bought a EL-50448 from Unique Truck Equipment for $70 shipped. Used it tonight on the 427 'vert.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I was told that when the tire is more than about 30' away from the vehicle it will need to be re-programmed.
This is simply untrue...period. It is a nice tool to have, but is not needed for what you want to do with the tire. No programming is needed here. Same sensor, same corner of the car...no programming. You can take a wheel off the car, place it a mile away and leave it there for a year, then put it back on and everything will be working as before.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

For the cub tool, do you put it in scan mode or program?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:32 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Yes, it does, but instead of selecting GM/Corvette 2005-2009

Select GM/HHR 2009

The HHR in 2009 used the same TPMS sensors that are in the 2010 to 2013 corvettes, so the tool will trigger the TPMS in your 2013 vet.
Great information, thanks. I just bought the TireRack closeout and this will expand it's reach.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

The slotted part on the other side of the Philips screw driver end is for pulling/installing the inner's out of the valve stem.

The two nut drivers are for tightening the nut on the valve steam, and as for the USB cable for updating the tool (that is not longer offered), who knows and maybe one of us will get around to making a update for the tool to add in a second Corvette setting instead of using the HHR setting for the 2010 to 2013 vets.
The owner's manual that came with mine said you can't update this model, so the usb cable is useless. Same with the disc that I got; when I went to the website as the disc instructs you need a password to get anything for an update. I guess earlier more expensive models had those features and supplied a password.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 AM
ZR1 136
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

To add, the $20 tire rack TPMS tool will also clone TPMS, and comes with rechargeable batteries (read you pay for the batteries, and the tool is thrown in for free).

If anyone was on the fence about buying one, do not wait or they will sold out.

Here is the glitch,
Cub came out with a newer TPMS tool that they are pushing instead, and does not have a 2010 to 2013 menu Update for the $20 tool (other than the update that was done on the tool to cover it in the menu selection to 2009 models).

As noted, the tool does work on 2010 to 2013 corvettes using the HHR setting, and the reason that tire rack is blowing these out is not that the tool will not work, but there is no update to the tool to included the newer car setting in the menu options instead (update the tool to 2013 cars in the menu setting that it already works on).

So the only question comes down to, if you have a 2005 to 2013 corvette, why have you not bought the $20 tool yet???
Bought mine total cost $33.81 This will be great switching from my GS rims over to my Z06 rims as needed.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:53 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a great deal. For $29.92 (my total cost) I can afford to have this addition in my tool box even if it only gets occasional use. Pretty much a no brainer.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,028 Likes on 2,182 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
For the cub tool, do you put it in scan mode or program?

Scan mode triggers the TPMS in the tire to send information so the car picks it up when the car is sent into relearn mode (when the car is in relearn mode via setting the ignition to acc, and holding both the lock and unlock buttons down on Fob to make the car honk/set it to TPMS relearn mode. Also make sure that you are triggering the TPMS in the tires in the right order since the car wants to learns the front drivers tire first (car will honk once it learns that TPMS), then the passenger front tire (honks again), then the passenger rear tire (honks again), then the drivers rear tire last (will get two honks to tell you that you are done). If you trigger the TPMS in the tires in the wrong order when you put the car into TPMS learn mode, then the car does not learn the correct location of the tire sensors.

Program mode is used for the tool to first learn the TPMS, then you program a clone TPMS to the existing ID Number of the old TPMS to clone it.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Yes, it does, but instead of selecting GM/Corvette 2005-2009

Select GM/HHR 2009

The HHR in 2009 used the same TPMS sensors that are in the 2010 to 2013 corvettes, so the tool will trigger the TPMS in your 2013 vet.
Once again with Dano.

I bought the tirerack cub TPMS Tool for $20 bucks. Select HHR/2009 and worked like a charm. Something else you should keep in mind, and that is cloning a sensor. You can clone a sensor from the right rear sensor to a new sensor and put it on the right rear and nothing has to be done.

I have two ssets of wheels street/track with cloned sensors, and I change wheels all the time with no issues or re-sets required.

Last point, I've heard you sometimes have to hit the tire near the valve stem to "wake up" the sensor.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
This is a great deal. For $29.92 (my total cost) I can afford to have this addition in my tool box even if it only gets occasional use. Pretty much a no brainer.

Too good of a deal to pass up.

Thanks for the heads up Dano.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Scan mode triggers the TPMS in the tire to send information so the car picks it up when the car is sent into relearn mode (when the car is in relearn mode via setting the ignition to acc, and holding both the lock and unlock buttons down on Fob to make the car honk/set it to TPMS relearn mode. Also make sure that you are triggering the TPMS in the tires in the right order since the car wants to learns the front drivers tire first (car will honk once it learns that TPMS), then the passenger front tire (honks again), then the passenger rear tire (honks again), then the drivers rear tire last (will get two honks to tell you that you are done). If you trigger the TPMS in the tires in the wrong order when you put the car into TPMS learn mode, then the car does not learn the correct location of the tire sensors.

Program mode is used for the tool to first learn the TPMS, then you program a clone TPMS to the existing ID Number of the old TPMS to clone it.
Thanks. I know the procedure. I just wasn't sure which mode to use with the Cub tool.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I was told that when the tire is more than about 30' away from the vehicle it will need to be re-programmed. I am looking at this model: Ateq VT5
Wrong! I took all 4 wheels and had new tires mounted. 2 days later brought the set home put them on and everything was perfect.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Jatan
3rd Gear

Since a lot of you guys have the CUB trigger tool from Tire Rack I figured I would ask you guys before ordering it

I noticed on a few eBay listings that non-GM vehicles are also included on the device:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161313319802
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131155907435

Can someone confirm that for me or is it GM only? Also, if you can try to select 07 Nissan Maxima on there and see if you're able to go into scan mode or if its locked out?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Kent-Moore EL-50448 Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool.

Simple, functional and reasonable cost.

Regards,

GSRANDY

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS tool

Old 07-17-2014, 10:18 AM
gmtech1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Does that include breaking the wheel down to replace the tire? I am needing to replace the tire to repair a puncture.
That nail is not in the tread. Discount Tire will not patch holes not in the tread.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
ktaustins
6th Gear

Default tire rack tpms tool

Tire rack TPMS tool
Has it on sale for $20 Wow I paid a lot more for it.
I use this one on my 2007 corvette and also got there sensor and both has worked great.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

On Amazon this is what I bought. Kent-Moore EL-50448 TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Activation Tool

Quick Reply: TPMS tool