C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAUNCH CONTROL - Virgin asking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:42 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

As mentioned prior, make full use of the launch control system only in a completely safe environment.

The process is really rather simple.

Tranny in 1st gear, clutch depressed to floor...
Go pedal to the floor, LS3 will tack approx. 4,000 rpm...

Release the clutch as fast as you can, rather than "popping" it...

You'll feel the rear tires break loose very briefly, then wind out 1st gear to 6,500 rpm to nail 2nd.

Since I've only used launch control at the drag strip, I have the advantage of the rear tires hooking up very quickly.

Off of a clean tacky track, there's always the possibility of a little unseen sand, dirt, debris, what ever on the road.

That can get very dicey.

Good luck....report back here on your experience!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by gsxrguy84
Is launch control a feature that is only available for 2010+ models? I read something to that effect previously. I'm not aware of any launch control on my 2008.
Yes, it was introduced in 2010.

Originally Posted by Hameister
As mentioned prior, make full use of the launch control system only in a completely safe environment.

You'll feel the rear tires break loose very briefly, then wind out 1st gear to 6,500 rpm to nail 2nd.

Since I've only used launch control at the drag strip, I have the advantage of the rear tires hooking up very quickly.

Off of a clean tacky track, there's always the possibility of a little unseen sand, dirt, debris, what ever on the road.

That can get very dicey.

You forgot to mention that the suspension mode selector has to be in competitive mode.

Last edited by DillingerRadio; 04-20-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Super Hole Shot

It has been my experience that it gives you a considerable advantage taking off from a dead stop. I would estimate a 3 or 4 car length advantage over not using it. You can beat anyone out of the hole except some of the high HP all wheel drive cars. Try it and practice, practice, practice.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DillingerRadio
Yes, it was introduced in 2010.

You forgot to mention that the suspension mode selector has to be in competitive mode.
Thanks, I assumed that the OP was aware of that, but I guess it's never a good idea to ***-u-me anything.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:55 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

without it being in competitive mode you would then have the opportunity to experience the rev limiter!!!

in all seriousness I tried mine once and it was pretty violent, I cringed LOL. Of course I've launched it without launch control more than a few times..
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Fortunately, my '07 doesn't have launch control. I have to do it the old-fashioned way... throttle and clutch modulation (and I'd wager a lot of the guys with LC would take me off the line rather handily).
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"You'll feel the rear tires break loose very briefly......" Yeah, you bet.

This was the result of my first attempt.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Two other things to note,

1. you must put the gas to the floor as quickly as possible.

2. If you have the dual mode exhaust and a mild to wild switch, the mode must be set to mild. If you dont close it up then you will find the rev limiter very quickly.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 793 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

What could the bi mode exhaust have to do with it open or closed? It will be open @ 4 g anyway.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 PM
PMD C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BearZ06
What could the bi mode exhaust have to do with it open or closed? It will be open @ 4 g anyway.
All I can tell you is that Launch control WILL NOT work if you have it set to Wild and that this guy is one of the ones who figured it out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...em-solved.html

Last edited by PMD C6; 04-21-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have M2W and I assure you in wild it holds 4000rpms with competition mode on and putting it in 1st
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 AM
achampagne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hameister

That can get very dicey.

Is it true that you have to keep the gas pedal floored even when shifting in second and third ? Iv'e been told that launch control mechanism stops when it notices that the gas is not fully pressed. This would mean power shifting through the whole thing. Is launch control just a 1st gear thing ?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Grant Elis
Racer

Watch the video. Straight from Chevy. Reading what some folks have written in this post makes me realize that many people do not know what the auto Launch Control does. It is actually trying to keep the wheels from spinning and trying to put max power to the pavement through modulation. This is the age old problem drag cars have. When your spinning, your not moving forward! Thanks, Grant.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Grant Elis
Racer

thought id throw in
Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 PM
trading tiger
Instructor

Very glad you posted this question. My friends have been bugging me about why I drive my vette so slow, my answer is always "I have enough money to drive it, or enough money to fix it, but not both at the same time". But just to get them to shut up, I've promised them a fun ride using the launch control once the weather warms up and the OEM tires are about ready to be replaced, and at 15,000+ miles, I'm guessing that that time is rapidly approaching even with my relatively passive driving style.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by trading tiger
Very glad you posted this question. My friends have been bugging me about why I drive my vette so slow, my answer is always "I have enough money to drive it, or enough money to fix it, but not both at the same time". But just to get them to shut up, I've promised them a fun ride using the launch control once the weather warms up and the OEM tires are about ready to be replaced, and at 15,000+ miles, I'm guessing that that time is rapidly approaching even with my relatively passive driving style.
I'm glad I asked as well!
Got some great advice - & picture & video demos.
So all there is left to do - is let her rip!!
Thanks to All !
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM
Grant Elis
Racer

Originally Posted by trading tiger
With Launch Control your tires barely even spin.

Get notified of new replies

To LAUNCH CONTROL - Virgin asking for advice.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you brother.

I've had my Vette over a year and am really wanting to try it, but I'm not sure I can pull the trigger yet.

Even though it is designed to do so, I'm not a fan of dropping the clutch at 4k RPMs.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21

I've had my Vette over a year and am really wanting to try it, but I'm not sure I can pull the trigger yet.

Even though it is designed to do so, I'm not a fan of dropping the clutch at 4k RPMs.
I also had trouble doing it the first time, so I asked the dealership where I bought the car to demonstrate it, he had a vette technician do it in the back lot with me as passenger, very simple 1,2,3, and off you go no big deal now that I see the correct way of doing it, I suggest you do the same if it's not too much trouble getting to your dealer.. good luck
Old 04-23-2014, 12:36 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21

I haven't tried to use it either. I just finished installing a 75h/p Zex nitrous shot into the mix. It's triggered on full throttle. Guess it wouldn't be prudent to hit the nitrous off the line. Maybe hit the arm switch after I get the car rolling? Maybe 2nd gear? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: LAUNCH CONTROL - Virgin asking for advice.