C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Opinions wanted. MPP company.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 01:41 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Opinions wanted. MPP company.

Greets all,

I'll soon be joining the ranks with my C6 that I just settled with a dealer in Texas (Pics soon to come when it gets here probably next week). Some Specs:

2012 Artic White C6 w/25039 miles on the clock.

Options: (off their description)

1-Piece Removable Body-Color Roof Panel
18" x 8.5" Fr & 19" x 10" Rr 5-Spoke Wheels
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
7 Speakers
7-Speaker Audio System Feature
ABS brakes
AM/FM Stereo w/CD Player/MP3 Playback
AM/FM Stereo w/CD Player/Navigation
Air Conditioning
Auto-dimming Rear-View mirror
Auto-dimming door mirrors
Automatic temperature control
Bumpers: body-color
CD player
Delay-off headlights
Driver door bin
Driver vanity mirror
Dual front impact airbags
Dual front side impact airbags
Electronic Stability Control
Emergency communication system
Four wheel independent suspension
Front Bucket Seats
Front Center Armrest
Front anti-roll bar
Front dual zone A/C
Front fog lights
Front reading lights
Fully automatic headlights
Heated door mirrors
High-Intensity Discharge Headlights
Illuminated entry
Leather Seating Surfaces
Leather Shift ****
Leather steering wheel
Low tire pressure warning
MP3 decoder
Magnetic Selective Ride Control
Occupant sensing airbag
Outside temperature display
Panic alarm
Passenger door bin
Passenger vanity mirror
Power door mirrors
Power driver seat
Power passenger seat
Power steering
Power windows
Preferred Equipment Group 2LT
SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio
Head-Up Display
6-Way Power Front Passenger Seat Adjuster
Radio data system
Rear anti-roll bar
Rear window defroster
Remote keyless entry
Security system
Speed control
Speed-sensing steering
Sport steering wheel
Steering wheel mounted audio controls
Tachometer
Tilt steering wheel
Traction control
Trip computer
Variably intermittent wipers
Voltmeter

It still currently has 1yr/12,000 miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty, and obviously the 5yr/100,000 powertrain warranty.

They offered an extended warranty ranging from 1-6 years bumper to bumper by a company called: MPP (Mechanical Protection Plan). starting from the 6yr/75,000 bumper to bumper it costs 3,649.00, 5yr/50,000 3,149.00, drops $400.00 & 12,000 miles for each year less.

Has anyone heard of this company? Are they any good, and what are some opinions on extended warranties based on the year and mileage I have?

My guess is I'll be driving it about 4,000 to 6,000 miles a year it will be my primary Vette I'll be driving (not a DD) and equally driven will be my C5, My C4 that I have will become mainly a Garage Queen with less then 500 a year on the clock.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:32 AM
Slowgoat04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
Greets all,

I'll soon be joining the ranks with my C6 that I just settled with a dealer in Texas (Pics soon to come when it gets here probably next week). Some Specs:

2012 Artic White C6 w/25039 miles on the clock.

Options: (off their description)

1-Piece Removable Body-Color Roof Panel
18" x 8.5" Fr & 19" x 10" Rr 5-Spoke Wheels
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
7 Speakers
7-Speaker Audio System Feature
ABS brakes
AM/FM Stereo w/CD Player/MP3 Playback
AM/FM Stereo w/CD Player/Navigation
Air Conditioning
Auto-dimming Rear-View mirror
Auto-dimming door mirrors
Automatic temperature control
Bumpers: body-color
CD player
Delay-off headlights
Driver door bin
Driver vanity mirror
Dual front impact airbags
Dual front side impact airbags
Electronic Stability Control
Emergency communication system
Four wheel independent suspension
Front Bucket Seats
Front Center Armrest
Front anti-roll bar
Front dual zone A/C
Front fog lights
Front reading lights
Fully automatic headlights
Heated door mirrors
High-Intensity Discharge Headlights
Illuminated entry
Leather Seating Surfaces
Leather Shift ****
Leather steering wheel
Low tire pressure warning
MP3 decoder
Magnetic Selective Ride Control
Occupant sensing airbag
Outside temperature display
Panic alarm
Passenger door bin
Passenger vanity mirror
Power door mirrors
Power driver seat
Power passenger seat
Power steering
Power windows
Preferred Equipment Group 2LT
SIRIUSXM Satellite Radio
Head-Up Display
6-Way Power Front Passenger Seat Adjuster
Radio data system
Rear anti-roll bar
Rear window defroster
Remote keyless entry
Security system
Speed control
Speed-sensing steering
Sport steering wheel
Steering wheel mounted audio controls
Tachometer
Tilt steering wheel
Traction control
Trip computer
Variably intermittent wipers
Voltmeter

It still currently has 1yr/12,000 miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty, and obviously the 5yr/100,000 powertrain warranty.

They offered an extended warranty ranging from 1-6 years bumper to bumper by a company called: MPP (Mechanical Protection Plan). starting from the 6yr/75,000 bumper to bumper it costs 3,649.00, 5yr/50,000 3,149.00, drops $400.00 & 12,000 miles for each year less.

Has anyone heard of this company? Are they any good, and what are some opinions on extended warranties based on the year and mileage I have?

My guess is I'll be driving it about 4,000 to 6,000 miles a year it will be my primary Vette I'll be driving (not a DD) and equally driven will be my C5, My C4 that I have will become mainly a Garage Queen with less then 500 a year on the clock.
What are you going to pay for the car if you don't mind me asking?

I wouldn't purchase an extended warranty, but thats my opinion.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:31 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Seems to me, any extended warranty purchase is a reflection of an individual comfort level.

I personally have never purchased an extended warranty in my life.

When I think of all the TV sets, cars, appliances, lawn mowers, etc., I've purchased, the amount I would have spent on those warranties would have far exceeded any return I would have gotten.

At this point I am way ahead of the game. However, you need to do what's comfortable for you.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:01 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Originally Posted by Slowgoat04
What are you going to pay for the car if you don't mind me asking?

I wouldn't purchase an extended warranty, but thats my opinion.
Final price was $37,500.

Hameister,

While I agree with you about extended warranties, but in 05 I bought a 98 navigator (still have its my DD) and I bought a extended warranty for $1,700, well on my final year of the warranty my engine blew up cylinder 8 seized, the warranty company paid $3,000 of the $4,000 to replace my engine. So in essence my thought at the time was it paid for itself twice over when that happened.

They arent forcing me into getting one, I inquired about it they only offered options when I asked, so yes I'm on the fence about it and I know its a comfort level, but I'm just curious as for other C6 members and their thoughts.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you buying the car from a GM dealer or just a "used car lot" type business? The current discussion on here about the GMPP & GMEPP policies (which are dealer options) are ongoing and may offer some help in deciding, but will be no help if it's not a "dealer" purchase. In certain areas the "aftermarket" warrantys are not looked on as very good, although in most cases (like what happened to you) they are better then nothing however, I think the policies your projecting from the place your buying from are to high. The 2011 GS that I recently bought has a GMPP policy for 4 years 32000 miles of what "they" consider a bumper to bumper (although I do not with the exceptions they list) and I paid just over $1000 for it thru a Chevrolet Dealer. I think no matter where your buying you can "work" the price of the warranty down. In either case as your car has some 3/36 left on it I'd go to the thread titled...GM vs. Chrevrolet Extended Plan...which is the one I mentioned, and contact Dennis Fichtner (forum name CeYaBye) on the price of a GMEPP policy which is owned by GM and not Ally (GMPP).

Last edited by Redvette_22; 04-19-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:29 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I never heard of MPP.....guessing it's an aftermarket company. You should consider sending an email to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com with your VIN, Miles and state of residence and Dennis Fichtner will send you coverage info on GM Plans. Dennis is the man when it comes to extended warranties.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 AM
beaversstonehaven
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_B_Good
I never heard of MPP.....guessing it's an aftermarket company. You should consider sending an email to dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com with your VIN, Miles and state of residence and Dennis Fichtner will send you coverage info on GM Plans. Dennis is the man when it comes to extended warranties.
I agree!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by beaversstonehaven
I agree!
Me too!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I would not go that route. Never heard of the co., too expensive AND many/most are difficult to get payment out of. The usual advice is stay with the co. that makes the car, in this case it is GMPP prepaid service plan, aka "extended warranty."

BUT, as recently as this past week, we learned that GM may/will be discontinuing info sharing and possibly the ease of claiming under GMPP (complicated, do a search on C6 Gen). GM will soon have (or now has) a new plan in place for Chevrolet and presumably other GM cars.

I'd say, look up "ceyabye" on here and call and ask him about it. Note: call. And remember, you can buy the plan anywhere, at any dealer, and the price is not only negotiable, but different, dealer to dealer. All depends on what is their selling price.

Also remember that your bumper to bumper, 3/36, will expire on your in-service date for the CAR, not when it was necessarily purchased by the first owner. You need that date to know when to buy an "extended warranty" if you don't want to be paying for double coverage.

What does that mean? Final thing to know: if you buy now, it kind of doubles up on, and does NOT increase the length of time. So, if you have 12 mos remaining on 3/36K, and you buy 60 month plan, it does not become 72 mos from now that you have coverage. It becomes 60-12 since you are doubling up on coverage as of today. That could be, but probably is not stated in the policy. And who know? There may be a policy that says it starts AFTER your 3/36K expires, but I don't know of one...yet.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 AM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Can you get GMPP?

Last edited by mariofromnewyork; 04-19-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Old 04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If the car is still under the 36/36 he can get either a GMPP or the new Chevrolet Extended plan from me.

dfichtner@fichtnerchevrolet.com

Send VIN, Exact Miles and state of residence
Old 04-19-2014, 12:02 PM
acthegiant
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GMPP is the way to go

Under the assumption the GMPP can still be obtained, that would be my recommendation.

I have a 2006 z06 and since the 3 yr 6k mileage bumper to bumper has expired I have pretty much covered the 2k or so premium with covered repairs. Just a few items to mull upon:

HVAC control module died $400 for just the part (search on it and you will see it happens to a fair number

Clutch slave cylinder and all the labor to fix it, plus a new clutch plate/fly wheel i had to cover, $2k

Hood strut

Gas cap

Headlamp ballast

3 other control computers associated with the NPP exhaust and flakiness again in the electronics, something on the order of $400 each, plus labor (they must decide that every control module besides the main computer is $400)
... and I am at 35K miles with about 18 months on the warranty.

My experience is my experience. Its a Chevy after all, with lots of electronics and i my case is almost 7 years old. I have gotten my money's worth and thankfully I have an excellent Corvette shop (thanks Kent Eismann in Jupiter) that also has a good relationship with the GMPP folks.

I never worry about crap that breaks on my car. I have an LS7 motor that may or may not have an issue depending on whom you ask, the position of the moon in the sky, and if your santaria priest sacrificed a live goat or a live chicken. I have the comfort of knowing if there is a demon lurking in their in the heads, it will be taken car of and rest assured it will be thoroughly tested prior to the end of the warranty.

In short, GMPP is worth it to me. I don't have the time or equipment to do all myself, so i go the next best route - good mechanic, good insurance.

Cheers!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:17 PM
FredJ
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a new C6 in 2008 and a GMPP two years later. No problems whatsoever until last week (@28K miles). CEL came on and OBD code was P0601. Original battery so I replaced it with same (i.e. Delco) and cleared code.

CEL came back on with same code after short drive. Took it to local Chevy dealer and they replaced the ECM.

Fully covered under GMPP. Sometimes insurance pays off.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:17 PM
AngelDeath
Racer

I kinda had a feeling that the pricing was high, and actually after reading the plans on their site (mpp.com) is what lead to my posting this thread about it, the last time I bought one was with my Navigator, 3 years $1,700.00, back in 05.

CeyaBye I emailed you the info, be on the look out and if you dont get it let me know.

It is being bought from a dealer, Crest Auto Group in Plano Tx.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

GMPP will be out of the GM link in a few years, I would do the new Chevy extended.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 AM
Slowgoat04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelDeath
I kinda had a feeling that the pricing was high, and actually after reading the plans on their site (mpp.com) is what lead to my posting this thread about it, the last time I bought one was with my Navigator, 3 years $1,700.00, back in 05.

CeyaBye I emailed you the info, be on the look out and if you dont get it let me know.

It is being bought from a dealer, Crest Auto Group in Plano Tx.
That is where I bought by Vette last April!

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty Opinions wanted. MPP company.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 AM
AngelDeath
Racer

Originally Posted by Slowgoat04
That is where I bought by Vette last April!
Yeah nice bunch, been dealing with Britt Eaves, so far no complaints of them.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:33 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

For most people an automobile extended warranty is a waste of money.

The April 2014 issue of Consumer Reports says from their surveys:

• 55% of owners who purchased extended warranties haven’t used it at all for repairs during the lifetime of the warranty and paid on average $1200. And, on average, those that did use it, spent hundreds of dollars more for the coverage than they saved in repairs.

• Satisfaction with automobile extended warranties is among the lower rated of all products and services surveyed by CR. Those surveys included more than 12,000 CR subscribers who purchased an automobile extended warranty.

It’s your money, waste it however you want.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:27 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

I've had GMPP on my '00 Tahoe and both my '03 and '09 Z06s. I like the peace of mind that I get with a quality extended warranty. I had few claims on my Tahoe, but did have one major one on the '03 Z06.

Previous to that, I had another extended warranty, not GMPP. I didn't like that experience, and indeed, that company went out of business eventually (Warranty Gold).

I would also concur with Dennis Fichtner being an excellent source. All three of the previously mentioned GMPPs were purchased through Fichtner Chevrolet.I haven't heard of MPP; OP, if you intend to have your car serviced through an independent garage (my Tahoe and my non-GM cars are serviced by a local independent garage that I really like), talk to the service manager or the owner of that garage. See what he thinks of this MPP plan, or if there's a plan that he's had good experiences making claims.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty Opinions wanted. MPP company.