C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking my GS to the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:22 AM
rtadallasvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking my GS to the track

Saturday I signed up for a track day in the novice class. I am really excited about the opportunity to see the limits of my grand sport 2011. When I bought the car three months ago, I decided the only way to get a chance to see what this car can really do is on a track. To try on the street would be a ticket to jail I suspect. Wish me luck yall. I am going with a friend who is taking his Camaro SS. Anyone that is or has gone to Cresson Tx. please fill free to chime in with whatever they would like to add. I'm new to this track and it has been a long time since I did any kind of road racing.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:19 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rtadallasvette
Saturday I signed up for a track day in the novice class. I am really excited about the opportunity to see the limits of my grand sport 2011. When I bought the car three months ago, I decided the only way to get a chance to see what this car can really do is on a track. To try on the street would be a ticket to jail I suspect. Wish me luck yall. I am going with a friend who is taking his Camaro SS. Anyone that is or has gone to Cresson Tx. please fill free to chime in with whatever they would like to add. I'm new to this track and it has been a long time since I did any kind of road racing.
Is it a NASA HPDE event so you'll have an in car instructor? Took my GS to the track 2x last year and loved it. Take it slow the first session out. Just work the lines and braking points.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 AM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you signed up for a novice class, then you'll either have an in-car instructor as another poster mentioned, or it may be a limited speed, lead follow class. You'll get to go as fast as the lead lap car (an instructor), and have a few other cars in your group. If cars lag behind the lead lap car, he'll slow down, and likewise speed up as long as everyone can keep up with him. You might also spend some time in the classroom learning the basics of maneuvering around the track. Have fun!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:35 AM
rtadallasvette
Advanced

It sounds like in-class instruction and instructor in car. Did not see any mention of NASA. There are some videos on youtube that gave me a little taste of what to experience on the track. I have already made my mind up to keep an open ear and I know nothing. Although at one time I did think Earnhardt had nothing on me. lol Looks like I will be in need of some new tires and brake pads sooner than had planned too but its what the car was made for and bought for basically. I can't wait. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Vette4Vet
Instructor

I am wanting to do the same thing, but I'm about two hours from there and can't get out that way this weekend. Would like to hear about your experience, then maybe join you out there next time!
Tom
Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 AM
CheckSix
Racer

How does insurance coverage work when you are using the car on a track? What if you do wreck and have significant damage, are you covered?

The reason I ask, is I would like to do some track time HPDE days too but would like to know I'm covered, without asking my agent and tipping him off.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM
rtadallasvette
Advanced

That is a good question about the insurance. On their side of things they make you sign waivers and wear an approved helmet. On the driver's side I have read there has not been any issues in the years they have had this type of event but there is always the risk. Maybe we have some insurance agents here that could give some input? My reply to my friends wife when she said she was scared was, I'd be more scared on 635 than a open racetrack.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

have fun and report back.i want to do this someday
Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Vette4Vet
Instructor

That is a good question about the insurance. On their side of things they make you sign waivers and wear an approved helmet. On the driver's side I have read there has not been any issues in the years they have had this type of event but there is always the risk. Maybe we have some insurance agents here that could give some input? My reply to my friends wife when she said she was scared was, I'd be more scared on 635 than a open racetrack.
My insurance company said I'd be on my own, they won't cover anything that happens on the track.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM
rtadallasvette
Advanced

I will repost as soon as I can to give some feedback on my experience. And say a prayer nothing happens. I would assume the worst case with insurance anyway. I did SCCA sanctioned events in the late 80's and early 90's without any problems. Just a lot of worn tires and brake pads which became expensive on my limited budget. Slid off the track a couple times but never had any major issues or damage. Enjoy the adrenaline but don't act a fool I guess.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:39 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Look under General Topics Section....autocrossing and road racing.

At a absolute minimum....flush out your old brake fluid and preferably put in a high temp fluid like Motul 600.

Your first road course event you will have 1,000 pieces of information coming at you. My entire first event I just kept it in 4th gear. You learn alot about entry speeds into turns, and getting the correct driving line.

I have done 5 events in the past 4 years and am not anywhere close to the limits of the car.....That will take about 50 events or so to get there.

You'll see.

Our cars are super capable....the driver is the weak link in these things!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'll be going to the Glen April 28 and 29 for NASA event. Loved it in my C4, thrilled beyond word to take my new2me 2010 GS.

To the OP, have a great track day, it is the most fun you can without a speeding ticket worry.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:18 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Look under General Topics Section....autocrossing and road racing.

At a absolute minimum....flush out your old brake fluid and preferably put in a high temp fluid like Motul 600.

Your first road course event you will have 1,000 pieces of information coming at you. My entire first event I just kept it in 4th gear. You learn alot about entry speeds into turns, and getting the correct driving line.

I have done 5 events in the past 4 years and am not anywhere close to the limits of the car.....That will take about 50 events or so to get there.

You'll see.

Our cars are super capable....the driver is the weak link in these things!
100%
Old 04-18-2014, 05:30 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14
Default track

Sounds like a blast,please share your experience w/us
Old 04-18-2014, 06:16 PM
racerxrick
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good to hear RTA...you will have a blast!

Likely they will run the upper section of Cresson (aka Motorsports Ranch) which would be best. The upper section run off area's are all VERY well groomed and I think you'd be hard pressed to get into any real trouble. Hopefully you'll have an instructor in the car as it will sure help you to brake late...MUCH later than you think you can!

The lower section that you can see from 377 can be treachorous with a lot of baby head rocks. I snapped a swaybar end link on my modded 944 Turbo and went off the track backwards at speed...how I dodged ANT damage is a mystery.

I am really looking forward to driving my manual GS on the track as it should feel effortless. The Turbo car is a challenge with the big turbo lag and resulting rush of power when it hits. Plus the GS close ratio manual is heaven!

Unless your doing DE events you won't use up too much tire and brake pad!

Have a blast!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 PM
rtadallasvette
Advanced

Dear Corvette enthusiasts, I am fresh home from my first track day. All in one piece I might add. First off I want to clearly state if you really want to see what your car can do, this is the place to find out. Secondly, these people don't mess around. Very good information from Apex during our class sessions that transferred to the track. All the anxiety of cooking my brake fluid and shredding tires were relieved before I even got the first lap. I was really antzy and full of adrenaline which I think hindered a lot of the initial track time. There were all types of cars in our class of 18. Each had a ride along instructor. Mine was good and very informative as well. My backround is go carts, bracket drag racing and autocross twenty something years ago. I found a new appreciation for road course driving and finding the correct line for me and not the other guy. It's not as easy as it looks. During our fourth time out it really made me have to think that I was driving my car. I've babied it so much driving like grandpa I had no idea it was so awesome and capable. A little braggin note here: I stayed right with the instructor who was in a Camaro SS for three laps before we had to cool down. With that being said and my ego checked at the door, I would only consider intermediate if that. The advanced hit the lines perfectly almost every time and I would just get in the way. The corvette is a true track car though. I saw a piece of rubber fly by my window on a hard turn and I yelled... Coooolllll but overall I didn't lose a lot of rubber and my brakes are fine. Oil temps on 80 degree ambient got to 244 and came down off that but never stayed there for long. Also, I might add if you are just going out to lalalala around go find a grocery store parking lot and have at it. I lapped a dang stingray and another grandsport. Lapped! I'm clearly not that good but they are that slow. wow Going 80 and 110 up to and through a turn is like night and day. Everything changes considerably. I am still ramped up about the day and hope everyone who wants to live a little and have some really good fun. Try it and don't be a scardy cat. We had a couple run off track. But everyone made it without anything significant. Lots of room to splash into the bluebonnets if you overcook the turns. Cresson has a very smooth track and that dang rattle snake turns had some bite. Have a great Easter everyone.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

hi,read your post and it sounded cool.We definitely don't get to drive around like you said ,"on the track" Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking my GS to the track

Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 PM
tomtoro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That sounds like you had a great time! I would like to do that too, but don't know of something like that in Michigan. Congrats on driving your vette like we all would like to.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:45 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you had a fun day!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

feel lucky to have Road Atlanta close by, and I am def gonna find the time to test the limits and learn some new skills......was it a NASA event?....what was the cost and how many laps with instructor did you get during the day.....

Quick Reply: Taking my GS to the track