C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Brake pedal

When I put the vette away for the latter part of the winter it was fine. Now, the brake pedal goes about 80-90% before it grabs. Brake fluid reservoir was full, so no leaks; flushed out all of the old brake fluid anyway; not much better. I'm driving it because I know the brakes work, but am puzzled as to why the pedal goes much further down before engaging. BTW, the ceramic pads are less than half worn.

Anyone have knowledge regarding this situation?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Mack1919
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vettes
When I put the vette away for the latter part of the winter it was fine. Now, the brake pedal goes about 80-90% before it grabs. Brake fluid reservoir was full, so no leaks; flushed out all of the old brake fluid anyway; not much better. I'm driving it because I know the brakes work, but am puzzled as to why the pedal goes much further down before engaging. BTW, the ceramic pads are less than half worn.

Anyone have knowledge regarding this situation?
Since there are no leaks, I'd look at the master cylinder first.

Mack
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mack1919
Since there are no leaks, I'd look at the master cylinder first.

Mack
But that's not leaking either. What would looking at it tell me?

The pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor. There are no warning lights; no codes.

Last edited by 2vettes; 04-16-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add more comment
Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

The pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor. There are no warning lights; no codes.
The master cylinder doesn't have to leak to fail. Internally, it sounds like fluid is bypassing the seals causing the pedal to travel farther. The master cylinder provides two different pressures, one for front and one for the rear brakes so no telling what's going on with your stopping power if fluid is bypassing one or more seals inside. I would change the master cylinder out immediately if you are sure all of your brakes (at the wheels) are good. Please keep us posted.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM
tominohio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When a master cylinder fails most of the time there are no leaks. There are seals around the piston that build preasure when when the pedal is depressed.
My guess is one of the 2 rubber o-ring seals has failed...which may be why the brakes still work but not with the hard pedal one is used to.
I would not drive the car anymore until it's checked out.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Mack1919
Advanced

Originally Posted by tominohio
When a master cylinder fails most of the time there are no leaks. There are seals around the piston that build preasure when when the pedal is depressed.
My guess is one of the 2 rubber o-ring seals has failed...which may be why the brakes still work but not with the hard pedal one is used to.
I would not drive the car anymore until it's checked out.
As I think about the symptoms, it may be possible that only the front or rear braking system is working. Change your master cylinder and don't drive the car until you are certain the brakes are fixed.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:36 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

I've driven 2-3 thousand miles since I last reported; even with hard braking, my stopping power is still just as strong as it was in the past. Other than the amount of pedal travel, nothing was found wrong.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:16 PM
clove86
Instructor

I've driven 2-3 thousand miles since I last reported; even with hard braking, my stopping power is still just as strong as it was in the past. Other than the amount of pedal travel, nothing was found wrong.
any update?
did you fix the braking performance?
Old 05-04-2021, 11:33 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by clove86
any update?
did you fix the braking performance?
Braking performance was never an issue, just the distance the pedal travels before the brakes grab. The brake fluid has been replaced and the lines have been bled with no change in brake pedal travel distance. Look how many years have gone by since my original post and no diminished braking power. It just hit 85k miles on Sunday. I have 3 vettes, so the miles are not piling up too fast these days, but I still enjoy driving it.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:43 PM
vetza12
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Braking performance was never an issue, just the distance the pedal travels before the brakes grab. The brake fluid has been replaced and the lines have been bled with no change in brake pedal travel distance. Look how many years have gone by since my original post and no diminished braking power. It just hit 85k miles on Sunday. I have 3 vettes, so the miles are not piling up too fast these days, but I still enjoy driving it.
the master cylinder is probably at fault. Mine has a rear leak and does the same thing. Half of my pedal seems just air. Glad i caught it in time

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pedal

Quick Reply: Brake pedal