C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK narrowed my tire choices down to these few. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin Pilot super sport are the best summer street tire however wear a bit fast. The Michelin A/S/3 are close to the super sport and all weather with much better wear and are the newest designed tires. Currently i got the as3 on the front and super sport on the rear (had a flat and front had a month long backorder)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 PM
technolady
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I tell You my Tire Story ?? (promise I'll recommend a tire too)

OK - SO I buy an '05 about a week or so ago and I took it on a run down to Yuma from Reno. The previous owner told me that he put on non-RF tires on it because of the comfort and from what I read on here I thought I'd give it a go. The tires had about maybe 5 or 10K of tread left.

So last Sunday I'm coming back and in the literal middle of nowhere California (25 miles from anywhere on a cold,cold mountaintop) at 8:30pm I hear a "Bang!" , my DIC is saying thing I don't want to hear and my first thought is "Glad this thing has run-flats!." My second thought is "Dooh!".

So I pull over and there's a nickle sized hole in my pass side rear tire and my inner plastic fender is all torn up and my big can of inflater goo is looking at me and saying "What'cha gonna do now?" No cell signal because, as I said I am in the middle of flipping nowhere! On a mountain top. 7000 feet 39 degrees and not dressed for it.

So I wave down a car with my flashlight and he agrees to call CHP when goes down the road and has a cell signal. 45 mins later CHP arrives and Boy are they some nice guys!!! Seriously. So they radio in my AAA card (I have to 200 mile tow plan and I'm about 130 miles outside of Reno) and it takes TWO HOURS for a tow truck to arrive because I'm in the middle of FLIPPING NOWHERE (!!!) and no one has a flatbed except for a guy in a town 20 miles away from where I was going. It's like 11:30 at night now (CHP stayed with me all the time - SUPER Guys!) and I slip the tow guy some extra cash to get me to Reno this evening instead of in the morning. We have to go 25 miles back to his shop to get some kind of interstate towing permit.

Long story short - I get home at 4:30 am Monday (catching a few Z's in the rear tow truck seat - thank you U.S. Army!) and drop the car off at a tire store. Next day I got a full set of run-flats - Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS which have some great reviews on this forum and others, are a good all-season tire (I'm touring, not racing) and have a 40K warranty from Bridgestone so I won's have to shell out another 1100 in two more years.

So far I like then and the ride is not unlike my non-run flats.
(oh yeah, and I won't be getting stuck on any flipping mountain tops again)

Last edited by technolady; 04-16-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:36 AM
2005 Dan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Pilot Super Sports mounted and balanced yesterday, holy $hit what a difference from the F-1s that were on it. The car feels so much better, it's hard to describe, but it rides better, is MUCH quieter, and just has the feel as though it's glued to the road. Right now it's in getting the alignment to my specs, couldn't be happier so far, we'll see how they wear.

Quick Reply: OK narrowed my tire choices down to these few. HELP!