C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just can't believe this!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM
VetteSthetics
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No. 386
Sorry but I need to vent. Last night I noticed my drivers side low beam was out. Did some research today thinking it would be an easy replacement part. Low and behold I find out the following ridiculousness, I can replace the high beam and the parking light but the low beam is "not user replaceable" and the owners manual recommends it be replaced by the dealer. Further research revealed it can be replaced but it's a MAJOR PITA. Why does Chevy design these things like this. A trip to the dealership and their associated costs to replace a damn headlight bulb. WHAT THE HELL!!

Thank you for listening to my rant.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. You can actually take care of this pretty easily. People tend make things seem harder than they are. As a few guys have mentioned you can buy a replacement bulb. You can swap these out without removing the tire. Turn you wheel all the way to the opposite side of the headlight you are working on. This will gain you access to the inner fender well. Remove the plastic retaining clips to the flap that covers the rear headlights assembly. Next remove the outer rubber boot, this will allow you to unplug the connector to the bulb and remove it from the socket. Then replace with the new one, plug it in, check functionality and reinstall everything... easy peezy! Contact me by PM or my website if you have issues or questions.

Thanks- Mike, Vettesthetics

Last edited by VetteSthetics; 04-16-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteSthetics
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. You can actually take care of this pretty easily. People tend make things seem harder than they are. As a few guys have mentioned you can buy a replacement bulb. You can swap these out without removing the tire. Turn you wheel all the way to the opposite side of the headlight you are working on. This will gain you access to the inner fender well. Remove the plastic retaining clips to the flap that covers the rear headlights assembly. Next remove the outer rubber boot, this will allow you to unplug the connector to the bulb and remove it from the socket. Then replace with the new one, plug it in, check functionality and reinstall everything... easy peezy! Contact me by PM or my website if you have issues or questions.

Thanks- Mike, Vettesthetics
Thanks for the info Mike, I'm going to give it a shot this weekend and post an assessment of how hard or easy the replacement was. I'll also post pictures to help anyone else that may need to do this in the future.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Well, I had some time this morning and installed the new light without removing the tire. Took me about 2 and a half hours. Yes it was a PITA but still not as bad as I thought. It probably would have been a little eaiser if I removed the tire but I think it would have taken the same amount of time and I didn't feel comfortable sitting under the wheel well with a jack holding the car up (no jack stands). Thanks again Mike, I used your instructions. I was able to see everything by using a mirror and some bright lights. Here are some photos. Photo 1 shows the access panel, photo 2 shows the panel removed, photo 3 is the backside of the headlight with the bulb still attached to the harness. Photo 4, I taped a mirror to the top of the tire so I could see into the access panel better. After removing the 2 torx screws, I unplugged the bulb from the connector and installed the new one. I was afraid I would lose the screws in the headlight assembly while trying to manipulate the screwdriver so, even though it was magnetic, I used some duct tape and secured the screw to the tip of the screwdriver(photo 5). Worked perfectly.
Attached Images      

Last edited by WhiteDevil828; 04-17-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM
VetteSthetics
Heel & Toe

Anytime! Glad everything worked out for you! Great job on grabbing those pics!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM
alyon
5th Gear

Had this happen to my 2007. Wasn't a bulb that went out though. It turned out to be the driver side HID ballast. $340 for the ballast + labor led to a $500 bill. Yikes.

I was lucky enough that the dealer paid for it as it was an issue at time of purchase.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alyon
Had this happen to my 2007. Wasn't a bulb that went out though. It turned out to be the driver side HID ballast. $340 for the ballast + labor led to a $500 bill. Yikes.

I was lucky enough that the dealer paid for it as it was an issue at time of purchase.
I read another thread about the ballast going bad. Thank god it wasn't the ballast, the bulb cost me enough!

Quick Reply: I just can't believe this!!